Notices

windscreen wipers knock

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2009, 09:59 AM
fireengine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windscreen wipers knock

Hi. The windscreen wipers on my 98 wagon have big free play so the drivers one knocks the window frame upper right on the upward pass and both hit the bulk head and each other at the rest position. Which means rotating the drivers sideblade on the shaft wouldn't work. Can anyone help?
Old 30 November 2009, 11:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the splines, if the wipers have worked loose they may have destroyed the splines between the wiper arm and the motor spindle.

Depending on which is gone, new arms, or a new linkage might work. Check also the linkage to see if there is slack in that.

Try breakers for arms, linkage, etc. GradeA are good.
Old 30 November 2009, 11:38 AM
fireengine
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Ive contacted them for prices. From what you've said i think its worn linkage. Im too new to this car to know what and where the replaceable parts are but is this easy to get at to undo the links?
Old 30 November 2009, 08:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not done mine, but you can see it with the bonnet open. Mine is away at the mo, so can't say more........
Old 02 December 2009, 07:02 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty easy job to do, you have to remove the black part from below the windscreen. undo the 3 bolts from each wiper mount. the hardest part is where it connects to the motor.

the part that normally fails is the joint on the motor, the plastic bit falls apart and has a lot of slop. new linkage sorts it out a treat.

Rich
Old 03 December 2009, 11:32 AM
fireengine
Scooby Regular

Thats given me hope. In the rain we have had its driving me mental. Only respite was left handed bends.

thanks

Tim
Old 05 December 2009, 05:16 PM
fireengine
Scooby Regular

Ive asked this in another thread but i want to sort this out asap. I am waiting for some new linkages but today i took the wipers off and the cowling and could calculate that the freeplay i have is all at the motor end. Trouble is im not sure how to get at the key linkage ( its hardly visible and no cut away at that point). Do I undo the 4 large motor bolts and then what? or do i have to remove a black plastic motor cover first ( three phillips screws ) and then what happens when i try to pull the motor out? please help mine is 1998 uk turbo.

thanks

Tim
Old 11 December 2009, 02:01 PM
fireengine
Scooby Regular

solved1 I got a full linkage from grade A, but found the motor arm was different. The squared spindle hole was set at a different angle and this would pull my wipers down before they would go up. My existing linkage had a worn white plastic ball joint cup so massive freeplay hence slapping wipers. I popped off the wrong short motor linkage ( complete with ball joint) from the new arm and added on my old linkage ball joint onto a good plastic socket. Getting behind the motor on RHD is difficult but with motor unbolted you can pull it out a lttle way giving you just enough room to get a thin spanner onto motor nut to then release the linkage. Im keeping the old linkages for the ball joint cups as they well be needed again but there must be high risk of breaking them if you try to remove.