Notices

H4 Morette

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2008, 04:24 PM
STim-r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H4 Morette

I have morettes on my classic that have a H1 driving light and a H2 full beam.

Just wondered if it possiable to change the driving light to a Bi H4 fitment (So i get driving and full beam out of one bulb) and leave the what is now the H2 full beam obsolete?

I believe i can get hold of a H4 cibie unit to fit.

Any ideas?
Old 05 October 2008, 05:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If you can then fit it !

I can't say I know the answer....

LOL

DunxC
Old 05 October 2008, 06:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

IF they are genuine Morettes, and IF they use Cibie units, then the answer is yes, an H4 unit will fit, but why would you want the inners redundant?

Anyway, here: Cibie Classic Headlamps are the lights on sale.

The ones you want are the 6th or 7th ones down, depending on whether you want sidelights, or not.

Note that the above ALSO do replacement inners, the one coded TSM

Alcazar
Old 07 October 2008, 09:59 AM
STim-r
Scooby Regular

Yeh they are cibie units in there at the moment, but the wiring has been well and truely bodged at some stage and now the full beams arnt working.

I rang jap performance parts and they wanted 50 quid per side for the wiring that connects to the back of the light and plugs into the original wiring plug.

I thought £100 for under 2 foot of wiring was taking the pi** some what so im looking at other ways to do it.
Old 07 October 2008, 01:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Certainly is dear, that.

Have a look here: www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk

All you need. I could even stretch to sending you a list of what wiring colours you need, lengths, what connectors etc all copied from mine.

Regards, Alcazar
Old 08 October 2008, 10:42 AM
2008scooby
Scooby Newbie

It would actually be illegal unless the lights were designed and marked for the job. Lights are stamped for there application. A light that was originally made for high beam can not be used as a high/low beam system. Afters all its not the bulbs that defines if a light is high or low beam but rather the aim of the light. It is a common misconception that low beams are duller, there not there just aimed lower so not to dazzle oncoming cars. High beam is aimed higher so the light goes further. A H4 bulb works by effectively moving the filament in to another parts of the reflector. On headlights designed for H4 bulbs they will have a visible cut off so not to be dangerously dazzling.
Old 08 October 2008, 11:35 AM
STim-r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Certainly is dear, that.

Have a look here: www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk

All you need. I could even stretch to sending you a list of what wiring colours you need, lengths, what connectors etc all copied from mine.

Regards, Alcazar
That would be great if you could tell me what i needed as i would not have a clue where to start.
Old 08 October 2008, 12:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Can you solder? Do you have a crimping tool?

Alcazar
Old 10 October 2008, 10:57 PM
STim-r
Scooby Regular

yes to both..

not sure you'll get these now seeing as you have the red tag under your name
Old 11 October 2008, 09:15 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by 2008scooby
It would actually be illegal unless the lights were designed and marked for the job. Lights are stamped for there application. A light that was originally made for high beam can not be used as a high/low beam system. Afters all its not the bulbs that defines if a light is high or low beam but rather the aim of the light. It is a common misconception that low beams are duller, there not there just aimed lower so not to dazzle oncoming cars. High beam is aimed higher so the light goes further. A H4 bulb works by effectively moving the filament in to another parts of the reflector. On headlights designed for H4 bulbs they will have a visible cut off so not to be dangerously dazzling.
I don't think he wants to 'convert' a H1 lamp into a H4 ...he wants to replace it?

Classic Morettes are/were as standard H4 outer (dip & main) & H2 inner, not entirely sure why someone has fitted H1 outers as the standard H4's are fine ...it's the H2 inners that are a bit pants!

If you get a pair of H4 lamps from the website Jeff (alcazar) has posted above you'll be able to just remove your 'bodged' morette wiring/loom & use the standard H4 connector (that the morette loom will have wired into) for your lamps.

Wiring up your H2's inner driving/spot lamps is a bit more tricky ...but by the time you've done the above i'm sure Jeff will be back ...or failing that i can pass on the instructions he sent me when wiring mine up
Old 11 October 2008, 12:21 PM
STim-r
Scooby Regular

Thats right daz i want to replace it.

Im pretty sure that the wiring is not standard morette issue unless they use the worst connections going and half crimp everything..

part of mr thinks i'll be better off calling an auto sparky
Old 25 November 2009, 02:03 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff, I found a post you didn't reply to after your absence. Even that Tanya bird didn't reply.
I've decided I want wire my morette inners up soon, so could do with a list of parts I need, and how to do it, if you don't mind
Can it be plug and play? Will I need more H4 connectors so I can returd to standard easily?
Old 25 November 2009, 02:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

What do you have at present?

Morette inners simply use a relay off the existing main beam wire, so all you'd need, assuming you have H4's at the moment, would be a simple 4, or 5 terminal on/off, (ie: NOT changeover), relay, preferably with fuse.

If your relay comes without fuse, then an inline blade type fuseholder, plus a blade fuse for it. Fuse rating to be decided by bulbs in use, usually 2x55W= 110W, so a 15A fuse.

A Scotchlok connector, some female spade terminals, (about 8), with covers, (try NOT to use the ones with coloured collars, they are awful unless you have the correct crimping tool, which costs a lot), three ring terminals, and some cable, thin, (32/020, or 16/020) and thicker, (28/030).

If you don't have H4 connectors, then yes, you may need some.

Anything you need can be bought here: Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts. usually delivered next day.

Oh: a circuit tester helps, third one down, this page: VWP - multimeters & circuit testers
Old 25 November 2009, 03:10 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks.
Forgot to mention, classic morettes.
I just plugged the original wiring into the outer light.

I've got some relays laying about. It it really noticable to see ones with the fuses?
Got some fog lamp wiring, red and black. Got a brass test lamp, crimp tools. Not too sure about using the scotchlocks. They have been pretty pants in the past, don't mind a bit of soldering. got some heatshrink also. I just need to get myself some spade and ring terminals.

Did you bother with the sidelights, or just keep the originals?
Old 25 November 2009, 06:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

You do need a fuse, either on the relay, or inline between relay terminal 30 and battery, otherwise you have a live wire un-fused and that's a recipe for a fire

I now have sidelights in the Morettes, and blue ones in the ordinary sidelights.

I DID think of going to using the OE sidelights as indicators and doing away with the orange indicators, but now I'm going to sell my Morettes ............ when I get the car back, and IF I ever hear from someone on here who was going to get me some projectors to do a retrofit, or if BOB5 ever stops posting on here and gets on with HIS retrofit kit.........
Old 25 November 2009, 06:32 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Oi, weekend isn't too far away now