Notices

Advice needed to increase visibility from standard bugeye headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2008, 11:35 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice needed to increase visibility from standard bugeye headlights...

I've only had my scooby (bugeye wrx) 6 months and last night was the first time I've really had to test the (standard) lights under night-time driving conditions (driving through Stockport and the tops of the Peak District), and (compared to my previous car - Peugeout) what a disappointment they are - I could hardly see any road markings when driving through town, what with the rain reflecting the orange light from street lamps, and coupled with the poor driving conditions on the tops, it was hard going. I'm looking for something that's gonna give me better visibility but not stretch the pocket. I'm very much a novice when it comes to modifications so any advice on my options to increase visibility is much appreciated.
Old 05 October 2008, 11:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You have one plus point in that the bugeye lights use two different bulbs, one for dip, one for main beam, so you can uprate one set at a time and not have the inherent problems of the H4 setup.

My advice to you would be to firstly ensure that the lights are properly aligned, and I DON'T mean just ask an MoT beamsetting sation to do it. Take it somewhere where you can SEE if the beams are aligned, eg: shining them onto a darkened wall from around 10-15m away.

A beamsetter will usually only show the height is correct or otherwise, whereas you can often get better light by adjusting direction

Next, look at upgrading the dip bulbs first. There are a few out there which are pretty good, I'm running Osram Nightbreakers 90% uprated in mine at the moment, bought off the internet, but Halfords again have their BOGOF offer on THEIR 90% uprated bulbs which are reportedly excellent.

Finally, if you can afford it, look at an HID kit for the dips instead of uprated bulbs. Those sold by BOB'5 are supposed to be excellent with good after-sales service too, but DO be awre that they are sold, like higher WATTAGE bulbs, as "for offroad use only". If you choose to use them, (and many now do), you'll need to know that

Then, if you have deep pockets, do the main beam, and forget what night means LOL.

Alcazar
Old 05 October 2008, 12:10 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Alcazar , it kinda confirms what I was thinking my options might be after doing a bit of reading on scoobynet this morning. Upgraded bulbs first then, and yes, after reading all the threads about Bob's slimline HID kit I'm very tempted by an Aztec Performance HID kit but not sure about how it would affect the outcome of an MOT if they are sold as "for offroad use only"??
Old 05 October 2008, 02:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

TBH, it ought not to be a problem, unless you get a totally **** tester.

They will pass on beam shape, but COULD fail on bulb type, although no-one knows of anyone that has ben failed yet.

Alcazar
Old 05 October 2008, 05:55 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap the "fogs" for a driving light kit, not cheap, but very effective.

PIAA do one at around £200 +.

HTH

DunxC
Old 05 October 2008, 09:59 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
You have one plus point in that the bugeye lights use two different bulbs, one for dip, one for main beam, so you can uprate one set at a time and not have the inherent problems of the H4 setup.
Just checked the handbook and the bulb type is stated as a H4
Old 06 October 2008, 12:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Woops, could have sworn the bugeye was the first model using two bulbs per light, one for dip, one for main. Sorry.

You can still fit upgraded bulbs, or even HID, although the HID route isn't as good as it would be if you had two bulbs per light, for reasons gone into ad infinitum on here.

They are still better than standard bulbs on a classic, but I dunno abt bugeyes, (as I've already shown)

Alcazar
Old 06 October 2008, 02:40 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

To be honest mate I'm more inclined to go with you than the manual as Bob seems to think I need a 2 bulb HID kit as well. I'ill have to have the back of the lights off and check for sure.
Old 06 October 2008, 03:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Can't you see into the lights? IIRC, they were of the clear kind, so it ought to be possible to see one, or two bulbs?

Alcazar
Old 06 October 2008, 08:02 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Bugeye is definatly H4, unless there are 2 differant types of headlight.
Old 07 October 2008, 01:25 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Can't you see into the lights? IIRC, they were of the clear kind, so it ought to be possible to see one, or two bulbs?

Alcazar
Meant to do it last night but then it got dark before I had chance - such irony eh!
Old 07 October 2008, 02:09 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

There are a few headlamp options on the bugeye.

Best thing to do is take one of the bulbs out and the bulbs will have a number on.
Old 07 October 2008, 09:15 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

The std WRX lights are pathetic, and Are H4 the STi lights however have two bulbs and look better too.
I have the JDM STi lights which are HID from the factory and produce amazing light however these are not cheap if you can find them! To fit you either need to buy adapter looms (Chang fao imports in Canada) or cut your wiring.
I'd go for Morettes (try ebay) or UK spec STi lights with uprated bulbs (can add HIds later).
Old 07 October 2008, 09:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
The std WRX lights are pathetic, and Are H4 the STi lights however have two bulbs and look better too.
I have the JDM STi lights which are HID from the factory and produce amazing light however these are not cheap if you can find them! To fit you either need to buy adapter looms (Chang fao imports in Canada) or cut your wiring.
I'd go for Morettes (try ebay) or UK spec STi lights with uprated bulbs (can add HIds later).
Well there's the definitive answer on bulb type, unless your car is already fitted with aftermarket lights.

Good advice on fitting new lights: get the light units right first, then look at bulb upgrades/HID

Alcazar
Old 08 October 2008, 10:53 AM
2008scooby
Scooby Newbie

The best option is what dunx has suggested. It is perfectly legal and will greatly increase the power of your high beam. If set will will give you a good even spread of light. The one thing you don't want though is to aim everything at the same spot as that will just give you one silly bright spot and you will just end up making the surrounding dark look even darker.

I would recommend against HID unless your swapping the headlight for one that is legal for HIDs. For a high beam only headlight it will be marked DR, Low beam DC and a HI/Low beam will be DCR. Though strictly speaking any low beam light should also have automatic self levelling and washer just.
Old 08 October 2008, 07:36 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget you could go down the retrofitting route (in the std headlight)....... its an option.

eg
Old 08 October 2008, 11:51 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^

can you do that with mine please

wiley
Old 11 October 2008, 09:27 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I changed my WRX lamps for STI UK items then fitted one of Bob5's kits.
It changed the experience of driving at night to a far more pleasurable affair and the car sailed through the MOT no probs. The tester was more bothered about my LED sidelights as they were slightly bluish.

I went with a 4300k kit which he said he thought looked fine.
I haven't bothered doing main beam - don't need to see 'that' far LOL.