Notices

Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2008, 06:36 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont Start

Another issue arises! the car wont start, it almost tries but doesnt quite make it!
Now is there anything other than the fuel pump i can check easily to see if it might help, i tried checking codes to see if the crank sensor was playing up but it wont go into diagnostic mode for some reason, or it does, but it doesnt flash a code, just steady ecu light.
One interesting thing though, i just had the feed to the fuel filter off, and when i turned the ignition on and cranked the engine, and there was no squirty squirty,
So i think the fuel pump has died.
But, could there be anything else???

thanks mike
Old 25 May 2008, 07:04 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

When did it last start? Is it turning over at all? any dash lights etc? Check battery levels, have you got the piece of kit to check the 6 cells within the battery?
Old 25 May 2008, 11:28 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, everything is normal other than it doesnt catch, it tries, but doesnt catch. I took the feed off the fuel filter today and turned the ignition on and there was no squirty fuel so i am assuming the pump is dead, am gonna volt check it and go from there.
Old 25 May 2008, 11:29 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

i cranked the engine too, so the drop in fuel pressure would have caused the pump to start, which it didnt.
Old 26 May 2008, 02:00 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Its most likely what you've diagnosed, but have you ever had any battery issues, eg, have you an active tracker?

Mine was stood for 5 days last week and was dead, started after being jumpstarted but my battery levels were down.
Old 27 May 2008, 07:48 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Hi, battery voltage is 11.9v. I have the pump out now and checked the voltage to it and i got 4.8v, which is not good. i also got 4.8v to the sender aswell, which i am not sure about yet. The car has been stood now since saturday and still is showing 11.9v so i am not too worried about any current drain. The car cranks quite happily, but it doesnt squirt any fuel when i undo the filter.

My next port of call is to check the impellor in the pump as the pump kicks over nicely when i put 12v on it, but it didnt squirt any residual fuel out when doing so. So am gonna see if i can see into the pump.
Incedentally, i cant blow through the outlet, but i dont know if thats right.
Old 28 May 2008, 10:22 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

all sorted now, the plug under the back seat had overloaded when i had all the problems before and it had lost the earth for the pump, but not only that!!!!!, it had also wrecked the relay and something else is wrong too as it had a 4.3v load all the time, so i cut the wire off that had been tapped to it, it goes off into the boot somewhere, i will find it in the daytime!!!!!!! but most importantly, it runs and everything so far works!!