'97 JDM WRX MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2008, 04:18 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 JDM WRX MAF sensor

hi,

wonderin if anyone can help; got a '97 imported WRX wagon less then a month ago- 1st impreza and certainly first performance car! love it, but had a CEL flash up rescently. diagnosed it and got MAF, knock and O2. Thats a logical combination, and last time i drove it there was a significant lack of power- no limiter at 4500rpm, so i think ECU turned down boost, retarded timing and upped fueling to protect from knock. although as another point it had been run on regular 95 fuel with octane booster... probably a BAD idea, but like i say, i'm new!

should i put in optimax+booster, re-set ECU and see how i get on, or plug a new MAF straight in and carry out the above?? I know what the RIGHT thing to do is, just wondering what a few more experienced members might do? Can bad fuel some how upset MAF sensor?? i would have thought not but don't know if when the ECU runs on a safe map for knock it confuses regular airflow readings? Wishfull thinking...

Finally if i need a replacement MAF sensor any recemondations for an impoted car- bloody expensive!! The current MAF has purple sticker with code starting in a big"F"

thanks for reading everyone!
Ash
Old 02 April 2008, 06:12 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

use Vpower and reset the ecu
its a cheap starter! and will give you some insight into how its really running
Old 02 April 2008, 07:45 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

i have the same model and my maf was playing up

iirc they are around £200 to replace

what i did was carefully remove the top square cover (its bonded down with what looks like black rubber sealant)

the soldered connections going to the PCB on mine were looking a bit crappy and suspect, i resoldered them and it fixed it

car will probably be fine with V-power only (mine is) but check the knock anyway

actualy i have just noticed you said WAGON
not sure if they got the bigger "22b" MAF they might have just got the little UK spec one (i`m sure mine is orange label)

edit, just checked my photobucket account

97uk turbo MAF on the left 97 WRX saloon MAF on the right

uk maf should do i reckon

Last edited by Ghetto Dude3; 02 April 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02 April 2008, 08:29 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys!

Scoobian- yeah, thats what i thought exactly haha, nice one mate

Ghetto, yeah i looked at that pic you put up in a different thread- i just assumed the orange one was uk!! but then all the UK ones i've seen on Ebay and stuff have been green stickers and 5-pin plugs; mines ideantical to that purple one (same code, etc) with 3-pin plug. Interesting...... cheers very much mate!!

The Murc
Old 30 May 2008, 10:39 AM
stuuyh
Scooby Newbie

sorry to dig old thread up,but im needing a MAF on a wrx 98,mine is a 3 pin orange label one..code 22680aa271 ,which others are interchangable with this one??any help appreciated