Notices

Serious Wiring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2008, 07:15 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Wiring Issues, SOLVED

I checked all the pins on the ignitor pack yesterday is it still didnt work with a new one on there, and there are some very strange results, all the pins bar on on the ignitor pack are continuous, including the ones opposing each other. Also strangely, the plug on no1 was firing, with only a few volts, anywhere between 0.8 and 5v, whereas, no3 was getting 13 and overheating very fast.

Has anyone had this before, or heard of it?? i am running out of ideas.
Does anyone know how the wiring is supposed to work, perhaps have a wiring diagram they can email me???

Its a 93/94 wrx, L reg. i am running out of ideas, and everyone i speak to have no ideas.
Thanks MIke

Last edited by mikey2; 22 March 2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: problem solved
Old 15 March 2008, 09:51 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikey2
I checked all the pins on the ignitor pack yesterday is it still didnt work with a new one on there, and there are some very strange results, all the pins bar on on the ignitor pack are continuous, including the ones opposing each other. Also strangely, the plug on no1 was firing, with only a few volts, anywhere between 0.8 and 5v, whereas, no3 was getting 13 and overheating very fast.

Has anyone had this before, or heard of it?? i am running out of ideas.
Does anyone know how the wiring is supposed to work, perhaps have a wiring diagram they can email me???

Its a 93/94 wrx, L reg. i am running out of ideas, and everyone i speak to have no ideas.
Thanks MIke
not sure on the wiring issue,but from the fault you describe i would say it could be 1 0f 3 things causing it.

1 ecu fault
2 crank sensor fault (or belt timing out)
3 poor earth to the coil pack

just my thoughts so might be wrong but worth checking out.
Old 15 March 2008, 10:23 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, yeah i have changed the ecu, and the ignitor and the coil and plug, still no joy, i figured the no1 coil pack has a bad earth, as its seeing only 4v, but that doesnt really explain why no3 is exploding with the correct voltage, unless of course its a bad earth to no1 and no earth to no3 causing no3 to have a permanent voltage and over loading, either way, doesnt explain why both sides of the ignitor (plugs only, not connected to ignitor) plugs are contiuous with each other when one is meant to go to the ecu and one to the coil pack, saying that though, i dont think i checked if they were contiuous with ground, i only checked one pin and that wasnt contiuous with anything!!!
Need a wiring diagram so can look further into it.
Old 18 March 2008, 06:44 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

right i changed the whole wiring loom now, and still no difference.
out of interest, how would the crank sensor cause the no3 coilpack to explode?? am wondering whether its worth getting hold of one and trying it.
does anyone know about the engine speed check connector?? on the wiring diag i have it would appear to go to ground, but i got no contiuity from it, is it a magnetic sensor?? or is this the crank sensor??

Thanks
Old 18 March 2008, 07:56 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

i think i have a crank sensor mate you can have for free, it used to suffer from it wouldnt let the car run past 6,000rpm so i just replaced it, if its ok for testing isues that ur doing ill post it too you ill go look now
Old 18 March 2008, 08:51 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

thats cool thanks mate, its worth a try, personally i don think its going to change but you never know, i thought it was sorted with everything i did, but was wr=rong, so may aswell go down the other road, maybe it will get sorted then!!!!
Old 18 March 2008, 09:26 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

does anyone know how much and what i need to upgrade the system to the late spec, ie with an ignitor on the inlet manifold and ht leads rather than what i have now????
Old 21 March 2008, 05:29 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Right, have found the problem, its a too good na earth to the coil, causing he pack to explode!
Basically, the ignitor had died, creating a reasonable permanent earth to no1 coil, meaning its on most of the time, burning out the earth return wire in the main loom, resulting in the earth to no3 being melted to a permament earth, making the coil overload! so having separated the wires, and putting the coil in from no1, as no3 had blown again, no3 was runnning as it should.
So just need to change the loom and we are away again!!!!!
Old 22 March 2008, 08:03 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

right, well i have just sttripped back the main loom, from the lambda plugs to just before it goes back inot the cabin, fortunatly the melting had stopped about 6 inches before heading into the depths of the main main loom!! i think i found out where the original problem started, the heater for the lambda sensor, both the live and the return at the plug for the lambda are charred! fortunatly the damage to the power cable only goes along the single coduit for the lambda, but the earth damage goes all the way back to the bulkhead, about 3-4 feet of bare earth wire!!!!
I will get some pics of it tomoro if anyones interested!
i think if you have a scooby, check to make sure the lambda is ok, its caused me some serious headaches, real ones too!!!!!!! Its also cost me over 300 quid to find out its 5 quids worth of cable that needs repalceing!!!!!!!