Notices

Fog light switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2008, 06:09 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light switch problem

You know my post about my front fog light switch not illuminating when I put my normal nights on and also not lighting up when I switch the switch in/on.

Today I was going to fit my new fog light switch, so I carefully removed the old one and all that was connected was two wires from the PIAA driving lights and NO connector. Which probably would explain why the switch does not illuminate. I have spoken to the auto electrician and he wired the PIAA as per what was with the light kit. The block connector that originally connected to the fog lights to the switch before I had the driving lights fitted is still somewhere behind the dash he says.

Also he said that he thinks the PIAA system is an earth one whereas the previous fog light is a live one.

So is there a way to combine both systems to get my switch to illuminate?

Cheers

Darren
Old 19 February 2008, 08:02 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

As far as illuminating it its going to need an earth and live obviously,just use the old switch wires for illumination but not the plug if youve got a 12v test light will help ya sort what does what-guessing them connections havent been used as he`s just put the earth wire on the switching part as opposed to the live as normal.
Not sure about the illumination light for them being on as im guessing that takes its power from the live switchable supply running through it.(which now doesnt)

Last edited by ukdave; 19 February 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 19 February 2008, 08:05 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Gotta be honest though most piaa`s ive seen have been wired through main beam as they`ve been spot not fog lights.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:50 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

ukdave - I read this and assumed that the piaa's come on with main beam but can be switched off with the redundant foglight switch if he just wants main beam but no driving lights. That's how the driving lights on a WR1 work as standard.

scoo8y-mad - I only know new age cars so if your's isn't one of these then ymmv. Lighting up the switch when the lights are on is dead easy, making it light up brighter when the driving lights are on is harder. Find the old connector and use that, probably best to just cut the wires that look after the fog lights (pins 1, 3 and 5) a couple of inches from the back of the connector (insulate and tie back the cut wires from the loom) and then connect your two piaa wires to the required bit of wire from the switch connector.

On a MY04 car pins 2 and 4 look after the switch illumination (violet and orange/white) according to my wiring diagram so leave them connected unchanged. With a switched live system the 12v supply, one of the two wires your electrican fitted, needs to be connected to the wiring to pin 5 (yellow), the wire which supplies the piaa relay, the second wire your electrician fitted, needs to be connected to the wire to pin 3 (black and white). Finally connect an earth to the wire connected to pin 1 (red and green) for the other side of the internal light.

If you don't know which of the two piaa wires is which then disconnect them and use a voltmeter to see which has 12V on it (with the main beam on). If you get it wrong then no harm done just the light in the switch will be on whenever main beam is on, whether the piaa lights are on or off. If this happens then just swop them round.

Send me a PM and I can send you a pdf of the standard fog light wiring which shows which pin is which and the wirirng colours.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 20 February 2008 at 02:36 PM.