Notices

Classic fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2008, 11:24 AM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic fog lamps

Hi, my mrs has a classic with fog lamps fitted, but they dont work. She also has a cibie control panel on the dash, with driving/fog lamps switch. The problem being they are not wired up at all
I know my way around a car but for the love of god i cant fathom out the easiest way of getting these to work. If anyone has any diagrams, please forward them on.
I would like to do all the wiring properly and not bodge it. The fogs/driving lamps have 3 terminals which are blue, yellow and black and the control box has 4 wires out, which are white, blue, yellow and black. This is fed into the engine bay. I assume these share the same colour coding as the lamps?

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.
Old 13 January 2008, 03:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by scoobz72
Hi, my mrs has a classic with fog lamps fitted, but they dont work. She also has a cibie control panel on the dash, with driving/fog lamps switch. The problem being they are not wired up at all
I know my way around a car but for the love of god i cant fathom out the easiest way of getting these to work. If anyone has any diagrams, please forward them on.
I would like to do all the wiring properly and not bodge it. The fogs/driving lamps have 3 terminals which are blue, yellow and black and the control box has 4 wires out, which are white, blue, yellow and black. This is fed into the engine bay. I assume these share the same colour coding as the lamps?

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.
I have to admit that I'm confused by one or two things in your post.

Firstly, what is a "cibie control panel" ? I've never heard of, or seen one.
Secondly, what is the "control box" you refer to ? Is it the same as the cibie control panel?
Lastly, I cannot for the life of me see why your lights have THREE wires going to them...........unless they are Cibie Bi-Oscars which used an H4 bulb? Most other driving, or fog lights use a single filament bulb which needs only two wires, a live feed and an earth return.

Could you post pics of what you have?

Can you describe the lights, maker's name if any, type of bulb, etc.?

It MAY be that the car HAS HAD driving lights fitted, but they have been replaced by the OE fogs?

Anyway, post again and I'll see if I can help you.

Alcazar
Old 13 January 2008, 07:09 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I have to admit that I'm confused by one or two things in your post.

Firstly, what is a "cibie control panel" ? I've never heard of, or seen one.
Secondly, what is the "control box" you refer to ? Is it the same as the cibie control panel?
Lastly, I cannot for the life of me see why your lights have THREE wires going to them...........unless they are Cibie Bi-Oscars which used an H4 bulb? Most other driving, or fog lights use a single filament bulb which needs only two wires, a live feed and an earth return.

Could you post pics of what you have?

Can you describe the lights, maker's name if any, type of bulb, etc.?

It MAY be that the car HAS HAD driving lights fitted, but they have been replaced by the OE fogs?

Anyway, post again and I'll see if I can help you.

Alcazar

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have never seen one either. It seems the fog lamps had been removed for some reason. There is no loom from the originals on the car. The lamps are Cibie, i believe Oscars with yellow H4 bulbs.
Yes the control box refers to the dash mounted item, i will post pics asap.
The control box on the dash has a driving / fog button which can either be used for driving or fog lamps on it.
I think whoever owned the car had realised it was a bigger job and just left it disconnected as their is nothing to work with. If they were for OE lamps then it would have been a doddle!
Old 13 January 2008, 08:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Well they do sound like Bi-Oscars. They were originally designed to have an H4 bulb that would give a mainbeam pattern and a dip beam pattern, switchable from the car.

Shouldn't be rocket science to get it to work with a couple of relays, either main/dip, or main (driving) fog.

Alcazar
Old 14 January 2008, 12:13 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Thats what i thought, its just a ball ache making a new loom. I will try to wire the supply from the main beam 1st, with 1 relay, just to see how i get on. Basically i think the cibie box on the dash has replaced the original switch without ever being wired in
Old 14 January 2008, 03:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Shouldn't be TOO bad, in effect you are wiring TWO pairs of lights with a common return FROM the lights, and a changeover switch on the dash. So what if you have to start from scratch? Two relays, and you're away.

I put a rear wash-wipe on my classic from scratch, using bits from Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts.

Alcazar
Old 14 January 2008, 05:50 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

lol thats what i thought, just a nightmare getting to the stupid fuse box, this is in a stupid place
Prefer to have one i dont break my back looking at
Ford didnt do much, but the fuse boxes on a ford are accessible lol
Old 15 January 2008, 01:29 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobz72
lol thats what i thought, just a nightmare getting to the stupid fuse box, this is in a stupid place
Prefer to have one i dont break my back looking at
Ford didnt do much, but the fuse boxes on a ford are accessible lol
I wouldn't go near the fuse box, use a dedicated supply from the battery with it's own fuse(s). You can get fuse boxes with a number of ways out. You could fuse each filament seperately.
Remember to connect the main beam filament to go out when you dip the headlights. Also, the fog beams should have a warning light. You may want to connect them to the side lights to avoid a flat battery if you leave them on.
You could also run both beams together unless you interlock them.

John