Notices

HID: more trouble than they are worth!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 11:55 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID: more trouble than they are worth!!!

Last year I brought and set of the Bi-Xenon HIDs that Alex was running in the GB section. They where a bugger to fit, well for me anyway and I had a problem with the n/s headlight as I had to replace it, which I did myself. As a result I did not get main beam from the n/s light. So I decided to get a proper SUBARU one fitted which I duly did and all was working fine. When I was comming home from Nottingham on Saunday, late afternoon in the appaling weather, I put my HID on main beam when I was going down a country lane and I noticed that my N/S light was not going to main beam. The O/S is working fine.

So what could be the problem.

I am thinking about removing the HID all together as they hardly work on dipped beam anyway let alone Main. I have to turn the adjuster switch down to 1 or 2 (on the centre console) plus there is just a large unlit area just front front of the car when on main mean and you can hardly see where are are going, its like thay are way toooo high. I have had the lights adjusted at an MOT place.
Old 06 March 2007, 12:27 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Check the fusebox. And did you use the wiring harness that came with the HID kit if not you are risking in frying the wiring harness / circuitry of your car due to the high current that is used by the ballast.
Old 06 March 2007, 12:30 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Yes, I used the whole kit.

Fusebox: I would be looking for what fuse??
Old 06 March 2007, 04:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If the lights were OK BEFORE you changed to HID, are you SURE the HID "bulbs" are seating correctly in the light unit? Even a SLIGHT problem will put the beams all over the place.......

Alcazar
Old 06 March 2007, 04:12 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

They are fine, both of them. Im not really techinially minded. It took myself and my dad a day and a half to install them.
Old 06 March 2007, 05:09 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

As Alcazar said make sure they tightly in place and don't vibrate on country roads. Check teh fusebox under the steering column for anything that has to do with the headlights, and also the fuses on the HID wire ahrness in the engine bay.

If that is all fine, it could be that the connector (from teh headlight to the wire harness) is corroded or playing about, so check that too.
Old 06 March 2007, 05:11 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

As Alcazar said make sure they tightly in place and don't vibrate on country roads. Check teh fusebox under the steering column for anything that has to do with the headlights, and also the fuses on the HID wire ahrness in the engine bay.

If that is all fine, it could be that the connector (from teh headlight to the wire harness) is corroded or playing about, so check that too.
Old 06 March 2007, 06:06 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I am planning on going up to the Clinic some time for some work to be carried out on my sport, so I will kindly ask them to have a look for me.
Old 06 March 2007, 07:37 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

have you checked to make sure the ballast box's are mounted securly to stop vibration?
not sure about the classic but on my blobeye the original wiring for headlamps is very thin and crap connectors, so as said before might be worth checking all the connections again.
try swapping bulbs from side to side if it starts working on main beam get in touch with alex about a warranty claim for a new bulb.i remember when i got mine i was told they got 2 year warranty with them
Old 06 March 2007, 08:20 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

When I had this problem before, I did switch the bulbs over and that did not solve the problem. It was somthing to do with the motor on the back of the headlamp. I'll have a check in the morning.
Old 06 March 2007, 08:46 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

if it was a problem with the motor on the rear of lamp it sounds more like a problem with the car not the hid kit
you need to check for feed at main beam wiring

not 100% sure but i dont think the ballast has anything to do with main beam, original wiring puts feed to bulb to move the collar thing on bulb,so that would suggest faulty bulb or car wiring

hope you get it sorted out mate
Old 08 March 2007, 10:22 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

When I had the new SUBARU headlight put in by a subaru dealer, they also put in a new motor. I guess that it comes with the headlight as one part, even though they are two.