Notices

New Turbo means new Ignition coils?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2006, 02:25 AM
spidercio
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Turbo means new Ignition coils?

Can anyone help me out on this. I have recently upgraded from the stock turbo in my 2002 WRX to a TDO5 20g. before which I was also using a Turbo XS Blow off valve and PSI/boost controller. and a Greedy front mounted Intercooler with 4" piping . After I installed the new turbo, while I'm using boost the engine is boggy and it burps till the intercoolers up or down pipe just pops off. I get NO pick up at all. The car is drivable without using boost but whats the point of that! I know the turbo is good so the only explanation I can think of is the ignition coils.. does this sound right. Because the stage 2 upgrade is pumping more fuel/air the coils cant keep up or don't know what to do with it. so the pressure is building in the pipes till they burst. I don't know. I'm far from being a mechanic but I'm not stupid either but this is killin me in the head and in the pocket. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Has anyone run into the same problem? PLEASE HELP I Feel like I'm a dog on a Leash!

Old 03 July 2006, 10:48 AM
bluebugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

i aint too clued up on these matters

BUT

if you are bursting a pipe with NO BOOST IN THE ENGINE

sounds like the turbo is making the pressure but it aint getting to the engine

check for a blockage m8

good luck
Old 03 July 2006, 02:43 PM
spidercio
Scooby Newbie

I thought that as well but all the tubing is new with the turbo, Ive checked the exhaust pipes and muffler, and the intercooler pipes for any squirrels that may have decided to make a home in them but there doesnt seem to be any blockage. It will run with boost up till about 4-5 psi before it chokes. It definitely seems like the engine is being robbed of something.
and the only thing left i can think of would be the coils not igniting the added fuel/air mixture.