Notices

Driving lights on a blobeye

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2005, 08:58 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving lights on a blobeye

Has any one got the PIAA driving light kit fitted to their blobeye?
Are they worth the dosh and is it a DIY job to fit them?
Had the Cibies on the old classic and although the lights are a hell of alot better on the blobeye I still miss some extra light up front.
Old 23 October 2005, 09:45 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes I have and they are loads better, Got mine at 1/2 price from someone's friend from here. Easy to fit but I need to get them aligned as they seem to be very slightly out.
Would love to try a car with HID's though!
Richard
Old 23 October 2005, 11:22 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Yes I have and they are loads better, Got mine at 1/2 price from someone's friend from here. Easy to fit but I need to get them aligned as they seem to be very slightly out.
Richard
Interesting... Not to contradict you, but I had PIAAs fitted from new and have been disappointed. I got them fitted under the as-it-turned-out misimpression that the OE main beam was useless, but it's actually pretty good and the driving lamps fill out that beam rather than giving any extra range or significantly more brightness.

On the other hand, they weren't aligned correctly, but having spent 3/4 hour trying to realign them, I'm still not convinced. Also, the dealer hadn't wired them correctly: they can be switched on independently of main beam (ie like fog lamps) so they don't automatically switch off when you return to dipped... Grrr: an illegal pain and the dealer is 50 miles away so it'll have to be 10K service before they are put right!

Any other views anyone?
Old 24 October 2005, 06:12 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Thanks guy's for those err slightly differing views.
Which really highlights my problem, It's a fair old price to pay for the extra light on the road, so it needs to be good.
The standard main beam is pretty good and a vast improvment on the old classic which I suppose really made the Cibies look so good (apart from that damn H2 bulb).
Are there any HID kits out there?
Old 30 October 2005, 08:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You COULD go HID, for driving lights, but apart from cost, it's not easy either

Option 1 is to use the Hella 90mm lamps from the P1, available from Scoob dealers along with the correct brackets, then fit some covers with holes, also like the P1.

Option two would be to fit Hella 1000ff units with home made brackets, if you know anyone who can do welding, and/or flame cutting?

Alcazar
Old 30 October 2005, 10:00 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Subaru used to do an official spot light kit for the bug eyes with Hella 1000FF conventional halogen blubbed lights. Still listed on TSL's website here. Comes complete with brackets that bolt on without any welding or cutting.

You could fit this and then if it's still not bright enough convert them to HID. Option 1 get some 1000FFF lens units from Hella and source your own HID burners and ballasts. Option 2 buy an aftermarket HID kit to convert the H1 (I think) bulbs in the 1000FF to HID's, autolamps on line do these.
Old 30 October 2005, 01:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Subaru used to do an official spot light kit for the bug eyes with Hella 1000FF conventional halogen blubbed lights. Still listed on TSL's website here. Comes complete with brackets that bolt on without any welding or cutting.

You could fit this and then if it's still not bright enough convert them to HID. Option 1 get some 1000FFF lens units from Hella and source your own HID burners and ballasts. Option 2 buy an aftermarket HID kit to convert the H1 (I think) bulbs in the 1000FF to HID's, autolamps on line do these.
Yes, I know of that kit. The lamps use H3 bulbs, and I'm not sure a conversion is available.

I'm also unsure if using those brackets and Hella's 1000ff HID's will work, as there is more space needed behind each unit for the bulb in an HID, and the brackets would interfere. That's why Scoobysport made the original brackets. They removed the existing one point mounting of the 1000ff light unit, and went for a 4 screw mounting to a new bracket, which used the existing 3 points of the OE foglight mount.

IMHO, the original Hella one point mount is not much use as:
1. It's hard to set up, and
2. It suffers from vibration

Alcazar
Old 30 October 2005, 02:26 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got some Halogen Hellas instead of the standard front fogs, fitted by previous owner. They are possibly too bright and give a lot of glare off the roads and hedges at night. Burn the eyeballs out of motorists coming the opposite direction.
Old 30 October 2005, 04:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I've got some Halogen Hellas instead of the standard front fogs, fitted by previous owner. They are possibly too bright and give a lot of glare off the roads and hedges at night. Burn the eyeballs out of motorists coming the opposite direction.
Tried replacing the bulbs with H3 55w jobbies instead of the 100w ones in them?

Alcazar
Old 30 October 2005, 04:15 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Yes, I know of that kit. The lamps use H3 bulbs, and I'm not sure a
> conversion is available.

Hmm, not sure, they do H1, they don't do H2, not sure about H3.

> there is more space needed behind each unit for the bulb in an HID, and
> the brackets would interfere. That's why Scoobysport made the original
> brackets. They removed the existing one point mounting of the 1000ff light
> unit, and went for a 4 screw mounting to a new bracket, which used the
> existing 3 points of the OE foglight mount.

I know, I had some. Scoobysport made the new brackets to match the standard fog light mountings but I can't see how the original mounting would interfere with the blub it's at the bottom, not the back of the light. I think the black backing housing was the same for halogen spots (1000FF) and HID spots (1000FFF). So if theres room in the housing for an original HID then surely there'll be room for an aftermarket H3 / HID conversion?

> IMHO, the original Hella one point mount is not much use as:
> 1. It's hard to set up, and
> 2. It suffers from vibration

Fair points. Time someone remade the Scoobysport lights I think.
Old 31 October 2005, 08:48 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Any idea what the lamp diameter the Hella 1000FF is?
Just looked on their web site and it does'nt give any lamp dimentions.

The replacement lamp needs to 130mm dia to replace the existing fogs on the blobeye.
PIAA do the 600 WRC series which is 130mm and HID (£803 + vat). I'm wondering if It's this lamp in halogen form that Subaru/Prodrive supply in the driving lamp kit.
Not sure if it will mount in place of the fogs with the standard PIAA bracket though.

Mike Wood where are you! any answers please?
Old 31 October 2005, 09:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The Subaru/Prodrive kit for the blobeye defo uses/used the 1000ff lamps, as I had some.

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2005, 10:28 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Nicky

For the 01/02MY cars we have a driving lamp kit that uses a Hella FF1000 lamp with a bespoke bracket, wiring instructions and everything else you need to fit them. This can be supplied either as halogen (SACC2542) or Gas Discharge (SACC2541)

mgcvk

Sounds like your lamps are driving lamps wired as fog lamps and should only be used with main beam.

Mike
Old 01 November 2005, 04:27 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Nicky

For the 01/02MY cars we have a driving lamp kit that uses a Hella FF1000 lamp with a bespoke bracket, wiring instructions and everything else you need to fit them. This can be supplied either as halogen (SACC2542) or Gas Discharge (SACC2541)

mgcvk

Sounds like your lamps are driving lamps wired as fog lamps and should only be used with main beam.

Mike
is 03 car different?
martin
Old 01 November 2005, 06:07 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin,
The blobeye has smaller PIAA lights compared with the Bugeye to fit the fog light mouldings:
Old 01 November 2005, 07:25 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Butty,
Yep, those are the one's.
130mm dia, smaller I think than the bugeye one's.

Mike,
These are the one's i'm refering to re the PIAA WRC 600 series HDI units.
Would the HDI's be a straight swop for the existing fog's on an MY03 or is my only option the Subaru/Prodrive halogen unit.?
Old 02 November 2005, 02:38 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
Martin,
The blobeye has smaller PIAA lights compared with the Bugeye to fit the fog light mouldings:
that is what i thought annoying as i have seen several bugeye sets cheapish but no blobeye sets and do not really fancy paying £450 for lights without seeing how good they are,plus they may not fit now due to chargecooler waterpipes
thanks
martin