Notices

HIDs On A 96 Classic What Options?

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2005, 02:09 PM
zynexiatech
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs On A 96 Classic What Options?

I am sure this has been discussed but I cannot find any specifics or links.

I was wondering if its possible to fit some sort of HID kit easily to a 'N' 96 Classic Impreza Turbo 2000?

If so,

-What kits could I use?
-Where can I order it from online?

Cheers in advance
Old 29 September 2005, 04:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I assume you mean for your headlights?

I have Morettes with GE Megalight 60% uprated bulbs for main/dip and standard 55W H2's for the inner pair which illuminate on main beam.

I also have replaced the OE foglights with Scoobysport (sadly, no longer available) Hella 1000FF HID driving lights, and they are incredible!

As far as the stock headlights go, yes you can replace the OE H4 bulbs with an HID kit, BUT: The H4 does main and dip by having TWO filaments inside the slightly larger glass envelope, but still quite close together. This is apparently not possible on an HID lamp, so they get around it by having either a movable shield or a moving filament to give main and dip from the same lamp. It's a bit of a compromise

The upside is VERY good dips. The downside is that the main beam is only a little better than OE bulbs............I DON'T have this kit, but I know someone who does. He was so disappointed with his main beam that he invested in some custom pods for the foglight spaces to fit the Hella Luminator HID units, (even bigger than my 1000FF's).

A further downside is that the H4 replacement HID almp kit costs more than a single filament type.

Now, having said all that, I reckon mine are about as good as you can get for not silly money. My friend with the TWO HID kits agrees.

You can't buy the Scoobysport kit any more, but you COULD make one up: the Hella 1000FF's are available from Hella dealers, (NOT cheap though, but then, the Scoobysport kit was £700 or so!), and the brackets, well, you could FAIRLY easily copy the SS brackets if someone ( ) was to send you dimensions. Made from alloy, or stainless or even mild steel and painted, SOMEONE will make you a pair if you ask enough people, try Yellow Pages "Engineering". It only takes some cutting gear, drilling gear and possibly an end mill. No welding needed, they screw together.

Alcazar

Edited to say: if you want advice on HID kits, ring Autolamps on line and ask for Janet.
Old 29 September 2005, 04:54 PM
Autolamps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I assume you mean for your headlights?

I have Morettes with GE Megalight 60% uprated bulbs for main/dip and standard 55W H2's for the inner pair which illuminate on main beam.

I also have replaced the OE foglights with Scoobysport (sadly, no longer available) Hella 1000FF HID driving lights, and they are incredible!

As far as the stock headlights go, yes you can replace the OE H4 bulbs with an HID kit, BUT: The H4 does main and dip by having TWO filaments inside the slightly larger glass envelope, but still quite close together. This is apparently not possible on an HID lamp, so they get around it by having either a movable shield or a moving filament to give main and dip from the same lamp. It's a bit of a compromise

The upside is VERY good dips. The downside is that the main beam is only a little better than OE bulbs............I DON'T have this kit, but I know someone who does. He was so disappointed with his main beam that he invested in some custom pods for the foglight spaces to fit the Hella Luminator HID units, (even bigger than my 1000FF's).

A further downside is that the H4 replacement HID almp kit costs more than a single filament type.

Now, having said all that, I reckon mine are about as good as you can get for not silly money. My friend with the TWO HID kits agrees.

You can't buy the Scoobysport kit any more, but you COULD make one up: the Hella 1000FF's are available from Hella dealers, (NOT cheap though, but then, the Scoobysport kit was £700 or so!), and the brackets, well, you could FAIRLY easily copy the SS brackets if someone ( ) was to send you dimensions. Made from alloy, or stainless or even mild steel and painted, SOMEONE will make you a pair if you ask enough people, try Yellow Pages "Engineering". It only takes some cutting gear, drilling gear and possibly an end mill. No welding needed, they screw together.

Alcazar

Edited to say: if you want advice on HID kits, ring Autolamps on line and ask for Janet.
Hi Alcazar

While the concept or product of a twin arc discharge lamp does not today exist you can get low and high beam conversions and it’s achieved in the following 3 ways.

1) Very cheap and nasty Chinese kits use a rebased D2 lamp and glue a halogen burner to its side to act as the main beam (I did say cheap and nasty)

2. Move the lamp to try and replicate the low and high beam filaments. This has two disadvantages. One the discharge lamp is not designed to move forwards and backwards with the shock stop at each end of its movement. Two the filaments in an H4 lamp are not on the same horizontal plain.

3. Create an electromechanical shield which creates the light distribution from a single arc. The best of the aftermarket solutions but has a down side where optically you have to make a compromise. Best performance for low beam or high beam, you can have both.

In the advanced world of OE Bi Xenon is a low and high beam created from a single arc. Option 1 is as above option 3 with electromechnical shields. Option 2 is to move the arc with a magnetic force.

Hope this helps and clarifies

Nick
www.autolamps-online.com
www.hid-online.com
Old 01 October 2005, 07:52 AM
zynexiatech
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the info people,

Maybe all this messing around isnt worth it think i'll just get some osram silverstar bulbs and live with it.

Cheers
Old 01 October 2005, 12:18 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Not taking anything away from Autolamps cause they know their stuff, but i've tried two types of HID's in a classic.
The first type had the shields over the filament and whilst dip was good, main beam was garbage.
Basically when you went on to main beam, you got a little more light showing in front of you.. No different beam pattern, just a little more light.
My second set was the type where the filament moved in and out via a solenoid and these gave two different beam patterns. The beam pattern was more in keeping with what you would expect from a halogen bulb but much brighter. i.e. dip and main had different patterns.

Before i get shot down in flames from the knowledgable ones on how the lights are only as good as the lenses etc and how the beam pattern won't be as good as a lens which has been designed for HID's etc, i'm talking about improvement in what is seen on the road at night, not a beam setter etc. Yes there will be more scatter on a lens designed for a halogen bulb etc, but it's what the end user sees when he is out at night which dictates whether they are any good or not.

I had the HID's (the ones which move in and out) on a '99 classic and made a big improvement over what was in there. I could see more in the dark, both on dip and main whereas the shield type HID filaments were poor, very poor on mainbeam.

The HID's have now been moved out of the Subaru and are in a 4x4 at the moment. Very easy to do since all there is in my kit is a plug (to fit into the plug that connects to your halogen bulb), a ballast unit and the filament(which are connected with their dedicated plugs)
True plug and play. Takes around 30 minutes to fit (depending on capability)
Old 24 October 2005, 12:37 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

www.hids4u.co.uk if you have not purchased any yet

Cheers

T
Old 24 October 2005, 06:32 AM
zynexiatech
Scooby Regular

Cheers TonyI like the idea of their H4 Bixenon Pilot HID Conversion Kit @ £279.99 as it gives you hi and low beam in one bulb which should be great

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=44

shame I havent got the money at the moment otherwise I'd jump at the chance and get one.
Old 24 October 2005, 10:17 AM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Alan, give me first shout please!!!!

YHPM
Old 24 October 2005, 05:04 PM
zynexiatech
Scooby Regular

Not the most important mod at the minute but cheers for the offer I am sure many would be interested
Old 26 October 2005, 12:11 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by zynexiatech
Cheers TonyI like the idea of their H4 Bixenon Pilot HID Conversion Kit @ £279.99 as it gives you hi and low beam in one bulb which should be great

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=44

shame I havent got the money at the moment otherwise I'd jump at the chance and get one.
They are the dogs danglies!!

TONY