Notices

Battery upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 12:24 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Battery upgrade...

I want to change my battery on MY00 UK Turbo as it's starting to crank over abit slower than it used to on these cold morning... I think its still the original, but could do with fitting something abit more powerful due to all the ICE upgrading...
Whats the biggest sized battery best to fit???
Old 07 December 2004, 12:45 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might also try asking in the ICE forum
Old 07 December 2004, 04:39 AM
sanchoblue
Scooby Newbie

Default Bigger battery means more amps

A bigger battery will result in more amps to to your starter. It draws as much as it can to give you that quick start. More amps equals more heat.
Optima batteries are great replacement batteries.
Old 07 December 2004, 01:44 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchoblue
A bigger battery will result in more amps to to your starter. It draws as much as it can to give you that quick start. More amps equals more heat.
Optima batteries are great replacement batteries.
The starter motor will only take what it needs to turn over and no more. A bigger battery in amp/houirs wont make the starter motor go faster than normal. It will allow you to keep turning the starter motor for longer before it becomes sluggish, that point is when the voltage starts to drop below its threshold of 12volts. It will allow you to use more electrical items at any one time.

Any good quality battery with an equivalent amp/hour rating will do. but as with anything, technology moves on, and batteries have higher current capacities these days, with similar or smaller physical dimensions.
Old 07 December 2004, 02:43 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

The reason for the change is its starting to get abit slower at cranking over, and when all the electrics are on lights are abit dimmer... I just think the battery is slowly dying... It is 4 years old, with a couple of low cells... which I just can't be arsed to fill up... way I see it, me mate owns his own garage and can do me a good deal on a new battery with a 4 year guarrentte... I just don't wanna go to it one freezing cold morning for it not to start...
Just preventitive maintanace...
Old 13 December 2004, 01:27 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Ive been thinking about this and supposidly theres loads to think about with this, the arrangement of the poles, the amp/hours the cold crank something.... i seem to remember quite a good thread on this a while ago so have a quick search
Old 13 December 2004, 02:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoobyslammed
... It is 4 years old, with a couple of low cells... which I just can't be arsed to fill up... way I see it, me mate owns his own garage and can do me a good deal on a new battery with a 4 year guarrentte... I just don't wanna go to it one freezing cold morning for it not to start...
Just preventitive maintanace...
1 bottle of distilled water - £2 max?
1 "Good deal" battery - £25-£30 ?
A well looked after, 4 year old battery should be pretty good, but as you've not looked after it (see quote above) it could well be dying. Usual fitment is around 48Ahr the next logical step would be a 60Ahr
A battery charger/conditioner eg AccuMate 6-12 might be a good investment if your drain is higher ie ice
JohnD