Newbie dribving lights question

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 02:27 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been asked *many* times before...

I need to get better lights on my MY2000 Impreza. I have already replaced the bulbs with Philips blue things, and that helps. But I spend a lot of time on unlit country roads, and I could really do with some extra driving lights as well.

trouble is, the car is on contract hire so I can't rally go around drilling holes in it. Any suggestions?

SB
Old 11 March 2001, 04:17 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Try Scoobysport driving lights, they come with their own wiring loom and can be completely removed when you flog the car. Just put mine back into my new WRX.

The only problem is, some cars tend to blow the high wattage bulbs like buggery! Thought my new car was OK, lasted a month, then noticied the other day that the drivers side one had gone! So I've put 55w's in and they last forever. They also don't give a lot less light than the 100w (tried 130w and they blow almost striaght away).

Now some people will tell you the've had no problems with the high wattage bulbs in them! All I can say, is that from a personal point of view (and that's in two seperate cars), they keep blowing.

All in all, I would probably suggest the PIA lights (diferent bulb to the Cibie Oscars). Don't know if they come with a seperate wiring loom. Try Graham Goode Racing. I've had the odd thing from them and they seem very professional.

Enjoy....
Old 12 March 2001, 08:50 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

For PIAA lights you need to drill a 20mm hole in the bumper behind the lamp... It is'nt going to be something the hire chaps see though, and is completely "un-doable" by replacing the fogs. They'll hide the hole.

I got mine from
Old 12 March 2001, 01:37 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks, guys.

I'll be off to get a big drill and some PIAA lights, then...

SB
Old 12 March 2001, 01:39 PM
John Loveday
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

I have just fitted the Scoobysport Cibie's having waited nearly 5 months. I am not overly impressed. They were poorly finished, bits missing and dubiuos wattage bulbs were supplied. The beams are not suited (in my opinion) to being mounted low down.
I am sorry to be negative, I know there are others who have had them form some time with good results. I have used CIBIES for many years for rallying, ecellent but they just dont last. Mine have a layer of rust on the lens screws in 2 weeks, why they can't fit decent stainless ones at the price they charge, I dont know.
Old 12 March 2001, 02:07 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just so you know, you need a big *METAL* drill, as the plastic has a steel metal plate backing.

B&Q sell 'em. Or use a cone cutter.
Old 12 March 2001, 03:22 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

The drill you need is a 'hole drill' (I think) it's a metal pipe with teeth on one end with a normal drill bit in the middle. Bought a whole (ha ha) set from B&Q on friday for about £15 quid. Can by them individually.

Take note of chiarks links, but the set you'll buy (mine were from DRM) will have a ready made wiring loom which is much easier to fit than the older style. I was having real probs until I found chiarks guide.

I have also wired it up using the fog light switch as an override (ie prevents driving lights from coming on with main beam) to help reduce thermal shock (from 'flashing' lights) and thus increase bulb life.

Did this with an automotive relay (£2 from Maplin).

I will get all this on a website soon with pictures and a full guide. I'll post it here when it's ready.

Gary

[Ps Thanks to Chiark, Hoppy etc etc who helped me out when I was stressing about this - and oh yes ! they really are worth it !)

[This message has been edited by Gary Foster (edited 12 March 2001).]
Old 12 March 2001, 03:39 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary and all

Just a note to say that I've put some pictures into the guide...

Gary - which contacts on the fog light switch did you use as the override??

Nick.
Old 12 March 2001, 08:45 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nick

err yeh what ? not elictrically minded over here. I actually used a fog light plug (that normally plugs into the foglight) plus a relay - as I'm a lazy git and couldn't be bothered to run wires into the passenger compartment.

My new improved "Idiot's (thats me) guide to fitting PIAA's" is now up at