Angel Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2004, 01:37 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angel Eyes

Are they any good?
I drive long distances on unlit motorways & the STD lights are crap.
All help much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 20 March 2004, 02:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I've heard good things about them, but Morettes are better, as they have main and dip in the outer lights, not just dip.

That means you get 2 main beams per side when on main.

If you want the ultimate, go for some Scoobysport HID lights to replace the fogs. When I put mine on, on an unlit motorway, it's like looking down a flarepath!:

Alcazar
Old 20 March 2004, 06:09 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alcazar,

I have seen some Angel Eyes on Ebay for decent money, so I may be having a try.
Old 22 March 2004, 12:06 AM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've heard good things about them, but Morettes are better, as they have main and dip in the outer lights, not just dip.

That means you get 2 main beams per side when on main.

If you want the ultimate, go for some Scoobysport HID lights to replace the fogs. When I put mine on, on an unlit motorway, it's like looking down a flarepath!:

Alcazar
Alcazar,

Once again I call upon your wisdom!

What is your opinion of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468696596?

I have just returned back "up north" from my weekly work "darn sarf".
The weather was **** and my lights are decidedly poo.
My journeys back and forth are at times when there are a good deal of other roadusers around so a "flarepath", while tops for me , would probably upset the oncommers! LOL.

I think what I need are the brightest dipped beams??

I await your guidance....

Thanks again.

Dean

Last edited by spufus; 22 March 2004 at 12:23 AM. Reason: More info
Old 22 March 2004, 10:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Hmmmmmmm. I don't have any experience of these things myself, just an interest in what other have written, regarding them.
I have Morettes and HID driving lights, as you saw above, and would say that the only criticism would be that the driving lights are mounted a bit too low to be properly effective, but are so bright that it almost doesn't matter.

There has been a thread on here recently about the Angel eyes part of those lights failing, and it's apparently a new light unit if it does. One person was on his 3rd new one

If you want good dips, my advice would still be :
1. Morettes (PROPERLY designed reflector/lens unit),
2. Philips Vision Plus H4's in the outers, (or GE Megalights), or the ultimate:
3. HID conversion for the outers, (Scoobysport, or Autolamps online)
[Scoobysport ones make the Morette outers into DIP ONLY, IIRC, whereas the Autolamps ones are Dip/Main, but the main isn't as good as it could be, although with HID, probably still better than halogen main beam].

Unfortunately, you're looking at £300 for painted Morettes, and another £400 IIRC for HID conversion!

As you've already noted, uprated bulbs etc in the sh!te Subaru light units, are a waste of time and money.

Two further questions:
Are the E bay lights "E Marked"? If not, you risk an MoT fail, and
How do they dip?? Surely, if they're for the USA market, they dip left, instead of right, as ours do. If they tell you it's NOT asymetric dip, then you're already on a loser, as you've lost the bright "finger" of light that modern dips give you, and are back to pre-halogen days, although brighter, obviously:

Hope this is of help.

Alcazar
Old 23 March 2004, 12:37 AM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info Alcazar,
Looks like Morettes after all.
I drive many miles on unlit motorways and it would be a bonus to be able to see where I'm going.
It didn't cross my mind about the LHD lights dipping the wrong way - obvious now you mention it!
I don't think I'll be bidding on them now. LOL.
A bit upsetting since I'm a tight Yorkshireman looking to save few quid.

Thanks again.

Dean

Last edited by spufus; 23 March 2004 at 12:38 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 23 March 2004, 09:02 AM
ali66
Scooby Regular

We've just had morettes put on ours-what a difference! They look so much better too!
Old 23 March 2004, 11:37 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

I don't know if there is more than one "Angel Eyes" h/l, but when I asked on a recent SN GB if they were "E" marked the answer was "No".
Old 23 March 2004, 09:28 PM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ali66
We've just had morettes put on ours-what a difference! They look so much better too!
Looks like it's Morettes then!!

Ta for the help everyone!
Old 25 March 2004, 12:14 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Question saved me starting a new thread

not got any lights at the moment, so anything's an improvement couple of questions i've got

Are the E bay lights "E Marked"? If not, you risk an MoT fail
if i could get through the MOT ok what are the other likely problems, police maybe?

How do they dip?? Surely, if they're for the USA market, they dip left, instead of right, as ours do. If they tell you it's NOT asymetric dip, then you're already on a loser, as you've lost the bright "finger" of light that modern dips give you, and are back to pre-halogen days, although brighter, obviously
this was my major query on these lights, how exactly do projector lights dip in relation to normal headlights? is there anyway of correcting the dip on projector lights?

you also mention asymetric dip - i've got no idea what you mean by that

kev
Old 25 March 2004, 09:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by flat4
if i could get through the MOT ok what are the other likely problems, police maybe?

this was my major query on these lights, how exactly do projector lights dip in relation to normal headlights? is there anyway of correcting the dip on projector lights?

you also mention asymetric dip - i've got no idea what you mean by that

kev
If it goes through an MoT OK, which it probably would, (how many MoT testers have time to check that all lights etc, are E marked?), you COULD fall foul of vehicle inspectorate at roadside test, or police at same or insurance assessor if you have a knock.

I don't really know how projector lamps dip to be honest, but suspect that the beams are flat at the top, and simply shine lower on the road when on dip.
Asymetric dip refers to a system that came in around the time of the Halogen lamp, and was a set of prisms on the lens unit, (incorporated into reflector on modern clear glass lights), that gave the dip beams a shape like this:

|\_____ |\_____

When shone on a wall, for instance.

The sort of |\ bit at the left hand edge is supposed to shine along the edge of the road, lighting up hazards, without shining in oncoming drivers' eyes.

The problem occurs if you go abroad, as theirs is on the "wrong", side so ours, when driving on the right, has the effect of putting an extra "finger" of light into oncoming drivers' eyes

The same would happen if a pair of LHD asymetric dip lights were used in the UK.

That's why when people go abroad, they often use black tape to mask off the part of the lens unit that makes the |\ bit, so producing a flat topped beam for dip, and not annoying oncoming drivers.

Hope this helps.

Alcazar
Old 26 March 2004, 10:57 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

He no lying senior, Ive got the morrettes on my r/h drv wrx, but because im posted in germany i have to have continental headlights, ie the beam focuses to the right, so i dazzle everybody when im home in the uk, So it will be new morrettes for me when i return to uk
there are headlights (projector) out there which will switch between l or r hand drive, Unfortunately however not for the scoob yet.
Old 28 March 2004, 09:40 PM
---=CeeDee=---
Scooby Regular

I do have Angel Eyes with projector lens for dip lights

and imho it's worse than normal lights with improved H4 bulbs...

Even with 100w dip H7 bulbs it's not much of a light...thats why i installed Hella 1000FF driving lights instead of fog lights...

with Osram H1 100W bulbs and those are great...but...they are sitting to low on a car to work in full potential...unfortunately afaik Angel Eyes as i have can't be modified to HID lights as light is not deep enough...

BTW Hella does make Dual High beam lights that u can put instead of fogs and cool thing about them is that they rotate as you go around bends...same size as 1000FF

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...w/DynaView.jsp