Notices

Stereo Blowing Fuse, Help Required.

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 12:28 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Also posted in ICE forum, though this one may be more appropriate.

Hope someone can help give a few pointers on what I hope is a simple problem, but as I'm not that technically minded I'm at a loss.

A friend has a Polo with a cheap Goodmans unit, it managed to blow a fuse, not the one in the main fuse box, but rather one of the "in line" ones that's in the little black box in the wiring loom which goes straight into the back of the unit (hope you know what I mean).
In this little black box is something, dunno what, capacitor? transistor? who knows, along with two fuses, a 7 amp and a 1 amp. It was the 1 amp that went for no apparent reason, I have replaced it, however the new one blew after a day, so now I need some help in getting to the bottom of the problem. I'm hoping it has something to do with the head unit as she was looking to replace it anyway, however I'm conscious it may be an underlying problem with the car's electrics somewhere.

It may be unrelated but she's also had problems with the battery, two new ones in 2 years, the most recent being c. 9 months old, the car often has trouble starting and when sat for long periods eg 4 weeks or so it needs jump starting.
I'm not that familiar with car electrics, I have a multi meter but to be honest I'm not that proficient in using it, so any pointers/help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 26 November 2003, 12:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Fuse: remove existing fuse. Set mutimeter to dc current, low range, and place the two probes one on either connnector of the fuseholder, (ie: in place of the fuse.)
Operate stereo, and record current drawn.
I'd be suspicious if it was above 2 amps.
You could replace the 1 amp fuse with a 2 amp fuse if it's below 2 amps. That might help.

Battery: Did she buy the cheapest? You DO get what you pay for with batteries so a cheap one may only last a shorter time.
Does she do a lot of short journeys? This is a known GOOD battery killer, let alone cheap ones!

If the problem persists, get the alternator voltage checked......it could be running too high a voltage causing over current problems. Don't do this yourself, it needs doing under load.

Alcazar
Old 26 November 2003, 05:22 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Alcazar,

Cheers for that will have a look at that later tonight tomorrow.
If the current is below 2 amps and I replace the fuse, this will probably solve the problem but I'm concerned there may be an underlying issue I'm missing, should I be??

As for the battery, I imagine it would be the cheapest battery and she does a lot of short trips, along with a couple of weeks parked up each month when she's away with work, so that may be an issue.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 27 November 2003, 10:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

If the current is below 2 amps and I replace the fuse, this will probably solve the problem but I'm concerned there may be an underlying issue I'm missing, should I be??
Not necessarily.....the fuse ought to protect the unit/wiring anyway.

If it really worries you, take the unit out, and have it looked at by a competent car audio place. They will be able to tell you what it should be doing, and what it actually is doing.

Alcazar
Old 27 November 2003, 06:14 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alcazar, cheers again!!

Steve