Notices

MY02 Morettes - Intermittent Main Beam

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2003, 09:28 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

For the last couple of days, the main beam on my MY02 Morettes has only worked intermittently.

They sometimes come on normally in the high beam position (and when I pull the stalk to flash the lights). But, most of the time, they don't illuminate at all. Can't understand it, as it's one of those typically irritating intermittent electrical faults.

The main beam relay seems OK, as I can hear it click normally when I flick the stalk to high beam.

Any ideas, as I'm a wiring novice.....

Cheers, HB.

[Edited by Harry_Boy - 3/3/2003 9:29:31 PM]
Old 03 March 2003, 10:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Start with the connection to the relay FROM the battery. Is it secure? No faulty/loose joints? Now check connection of the fuse, including the bits where it plugs in. Any loose bits? Corrosion?
Now go on to the wires feeding the lights from the relay. Same again. Finally, check the earthing path from both lights.
If this doesn't solve it, get someone to operate main beam, and check that you have feed FROM the relay when it's energised. You can use one of those circuit testers that looks like a screwdriver with a lead coming out of the handle with a crocodile clip on the end. About £1.50 from carshops. Don't forget to test that it works before using it to test, by putting it across your battery, (croc clip to negative, point to positive etc). If you don't have current when relay is energised, replace relay. That lot should solve it.
Alcazar
Old 04 March 2003, 09:06 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blimey Mate - thanks for the speedy help here. I'll give it a go today and see how it shapes up.

Big thanks Alcazar.

Cheers, HB.