Notices

Help! mi fog lights have stopped working :(

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 01:26 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Ok, i need to keep this short and to the point. I fitted some 100w bulbs into my fog lights to try and increase the light output from them. They worked fine for a while, but now, yep you guessed it, they dont work anymore

I checked the fuse a few mins ago, that seems fine and i can hear a click when i press the switch on the dash (the relay i presume? )but they dont work. I havent had chance to take the lights out yet to see if the bulbs have blown, but i would think this is unlikey as i only fitted the bulbs about a week ago

Has anyone got any ideas before i have to book it in at the dreaded Subaru dealer and remortgage my house for the repair bill.

Oh, nearly forgot, its a 96 UK turbo i am talkin about here.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Chris
Old 08 January 2003, 02:16 PM
Dirty Wrong'un
Scooby Regular

could be worth checking you've not overloaded the wires and burnt them out, that's a lot of amps going through them.
Old 08 January 2003, 03:09 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

think on this : amp = watt / volt.
100w x 2 (two fogs) = 200
200 / 12 = 16.6

As you have normally a 15 amp fuse, this should work, but the thing is that 100w bulbs generate a lot of heat so you have to isolate the wire with some heat resistant tape or so. You probably melted the wires inside the lamps.

By the way, it's better to change to driving lights because of the lens construction the fogs will not give enough light power to light up your way...

You can buy them on Halfords for about 20 £, or go the expensive way to Cibie, Piaa or Prodrive...
Old 08 January 2003, 03:18 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

I am going to get a lamp out at the weekend see if can see anything that looks odd. Surely the fuse would blow before the wires melt though? They have only been on for a few hours too

Wally, is it possible to fit some non subaru lights in place of the fogs? how do you overcome the problem of the mountings etc? the cibies and the like are just waaaaay too much for my wallet at the moment.

Cheers

Chris
Old 08 January 2003, 05:15 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

well mate I have the perfect somution for you: In the beginning I was also interested in expensive driving lights, but when I think on the times that I will use them, and the risk of destroying one here is the answer.
Driving lamps from RING, available by Halfords I guess, because I am from Belgium I don't know what shops you have there.
I mounted the lamps (a little bit smaller than the fogs) in the smae place, make a metal bar between the two lower screws of the fog light connection, and there you can screw the lamp holder upon. Its all easier than it looks. see also my topic DRIVING LIGHTS FROM RING
Old 08 January 2003, 05:41 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Cell see also the topic ; driving lamps just thinking...

If you can't get out : mail me
Old 08 January 2003, 07:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

What most people forget when choosing a fuse, is that a COLD bulb, ie: one that is just switched on, will have a much lower resistance, for a few thousandths of a second, than when it's hot, ie: at running temperature.
This difference in resistance can be, typically 50% less, which means that, for a fraction of a second, the bulb can draw almost double the normal current!
Now, normally, the fuse will cope, but if you're already running close to it's max, or if it's an old fuse, or a quick blow type: POP!
This is why most bulbs give up at the moment of switching them on; think about it: when did you last see one give up as you were sat watching TV? No? It probably went in a flash as you switched on.
Remedy: choose a fuse slightly higher than the max current drawn, eg: if your bulbs demand 16.6 amps, use a 20amp fuse. It's the wiring you're protecting, not the bulb, really.
If you've checked the fuse, my money's on the bulbs. Strangely, it's not unknown for two to go within hours.:
Alcazar
Old 08 January 2003, 07:24 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

A few hours??? How much fog do you get where you live?

No scoobienetter would be braindead enough to drive round with them on all the time would they? Be careful out there or you'll become a max power Pogo 106 / Saxo driver.

When you take them off at the weekend don't put them back fit useful driving lights instead.
Old 09 January 2003, 08:41 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Vist to halfords required this weekend i think I read the other thread about that Wally, im going to give it a go i think, although i am a little worried about lining up the beams

Alcazar, i hope your theory is correct mate i can really do without another nasty bill at the moment.

Chelspeed, ever tried driving the A68 road from Edinburgh to Newcastle in winter mate? you need all the light you can get.

Old 09 January 2003, 01:06 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Question

CELL

How do you switch the your main beam and your 100w fog lamps off when a car is coming towards you from the other direction?
Old 09 January 2003, 01:12 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Question

Why would i switch the fog lamps off?

I get more light out of my sons thomas the tank engine torch
Old 10 January 2003, 04:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Just hope it's not the dibble then. That's a fine for fogs, and another for 100w bulbs:
Alcazar
Old 10 January 2003, 04:16 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

LOL

But surely if its foggy i am allowed to use them, after all thats what they are for

100w bulbs ociffer ? what are they
Old 10 January 2003, 06:42 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Fog lights are cr*p IMHO and no use at all except for flashing to$$ers who drive around with them on 24 hours a day or for increasing your petrol consumption! Rant over!!

Next time you are in fog try alterating between your main beam, dipped and fog lights (if you insist). Yes I know, I know, main beam is not the recommended norm. But I believe you can actually see further with main beam than the other options. Granted there appears to be more "fog" scatter but just try to look beyond that to the important things around you like the scenery you are trying to avoid. Fog lights just do not have the necessary range unless you are crawling along when a torch would be as useful.

Graham (WRX MY99)