Notices

Why did my battery die?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2002, 10:32 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I went to start my 3 yr old MY00 yesterday morning, and found the battery almost completely dead :{

I hadn't driven the car since Tuesday morning - although the last time I started the engine I remember hearing a single 'chirp' from the alarm, which was unusual. John, the service manager at Adams garage, reckoned that's a reaction to an already dying battery, rather than a symptom of a fault with the alarm itself.

I took the battery out and found that it needed almost a litre of top-up water; despite being labelled 'maintenance-free', it has six little caps in the top, each with a tiny vent hole. It's certainly true that I've never topped it up before - I guessed that 'maintenance-free' meant just that. Obviously not

Refilled and recharged, the battery now seems fine, although I don't want to find it flat again if I don't drive the car for a few days.

Should it be OK again now it's got some water in it, or will it be permanently damaged?

Is the 'maintenance-free' label a bit of wishful thinking on the part of the manufacturer (Varta)?

If not, could there be something wrong with my car's electrics that means that the battery is being overcharged?

Ta
Andy.
Old 15 December 2002, 01:01 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Get it tested ?

Then, if it's kaput, get yourself a heavy duty jobbie from a decent battery dealer. Should be about £50 ish with a 5yr or lifetime gtee.

Old 15 December 2002, 01:09 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

3-year old battery dying is not unheard of. In my case a couple of years ago the starter just failed to turn the engine one cold morning. Managed to push start the car and got it into a garage for checking the battery. They measured the battery and said it was time to replace it.

If you are worried about under/overcharging, just measure the voltage on the battery terminals when the engine is running. It should be somewhere around 14.5 volts and the voltage should not change much with rpm.
Old 15 December 2002, 02:16 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

we recommend changing the battery every 3 yrs at work so you should never get stuck like you did (hopefully)
Old 17 December 2002, 03:04 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

My battery went on Fri 13th
2 yr old P1.

Warranty job though