Notices

Driving lamps ( fog lights ) wired to main beam??)

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2002, 07:54 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible to wire the driving lamps ( fog lights) to the main beam on my01 wrx has anyone else done this ???
Old 09 December 2002, 09:08 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Driving lamps and fog lights are very different,

Fog lights have a low, wide, short beam for use in Fog. they shoudl be wired via their own switch whcih should only be live with sidelights or headlights(dipped + main).

Driving lights have a much longer higher beam designed to aid longer vision. They should be wired so that they come on *only* with headlights on full beam.

Foglights are naff all good in anything but very heavy fog as the light only goes a few yards ahead and you should be looking much further than that if you can.

Deano
Old 13 December 2002, 05:24 PM
blitz imp reza
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sure you can do it if you really want too? Take a feed from headlights to your foglight relay so they come on when headlights are on and do away with the foglight switch.
carefull with the old bill not sure that it is legal to drive around with fogs on all the time?
Old 13 December 2002, 07:01 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have the instructions for the WRSport Halogen driving lights that do excatly this - I'll scan them and put up some links tonight / tomorrow.

You need some wire, connectors and wire cutters - I havent tried it yet as have only prep'ed th lights with wires from original fogs.

More latter.

T.
Old 13 December 2002, 07:54 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys thanks for the replys , just to make it clear i live out in the sticks, the roads are very dark all i want is for the fog lights to come on whilst i'am on main beam not on all the time with dipped headlight's , i know how annoying this is!!!!
Old 13 December 2002, 07:57 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you realise that what you're planning to do is acyually illegal, I know a lot of what goes on is, i just thought I'd point it out, your best bet would be to get some driving lights, and bin the fogs! that way, they'd be legal!
Old 13 December 2002, 08:12 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

The instructions for the wiring can be found on page5 and page6 of the WRSport driving lights installation instructions.

What you choose to do with them is your own decision!

T.
Old 14 December 2002, 10:27 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Just to be clear, what these instructions will do is make the fog lights come on with main beam but only if the fog light switch is on. So you will have the best of both worlds, fog lights on with main beam but only if you want them.

Still think it will be crap though, for main beam you want light well out in front of you, fog lights will light up the road very close to you, virtually under the nose of the car.

I used these instructions to wire up my scoobysport driving lights and they work fine. I left the pin 4 on the switch as it was, this lights the switch up when the lights (side, dip or main) are on. Finding the 32 pin plug was the hard bit, I found these wires on a big plug (actually 30 pin) on the dash display but others have found a white plug by the drivers left knee (RHD).

Blitz imp reza - you can't just take a feed from main beam as main beam works really oddly on My01 and 02 (and maybe others don't know). It has 12V on one side with side, dip and main, 12V the other side on side and dip (main off as 12V both sides...). Then when you put main on the second 12V goes to earth so the light (or relay) comes on - well wierd.
Old 16 December 2002, 09:17 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

One other point tiny.When it is actually foggy you will not be able to use your fogs as with main beam you will get too much glare back off the fog.

Need a two way switch or some sort of overide,so you can have fogs on with either beam selected.
Old 17 December 2002, 08:38 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tiny01 - If you live in the sticks get yourself some driving lights. I too live in the middle of nowhere. Best upgrade I have on my car (Cibie Oscar SC's)

Front fogs are crap. They illuminate 2ft in front at most. Thats no good for what you want.

cheers

Paul
Old 17 December 2002, 08:52 AM
wos 69
Scooby Regular

without a doubt you will get pulled points and fine
believe me.

Old 17 December 2002, 06:44 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

cheers guys , top advice as allways driving lamps it is then!!!!!!!!
cheers Darren...