HID Installation woes / help

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2002, 09:42 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello all,

for those that got some HID lights in the group buy (and anyone else with the knowledge) - can you help?

I've wired everything up as per instructions and all connections seem OK (H7 bulbs for WR sport lights), one HID works and other one doesn't

is there anything I can check with a meter to see if things are ok or something's blown. I know not to go near during strike due to the 23kV ignition p.d. but once they are running...

is there any way of checking whether the ballast is ok?

FYI all the other lights work ok (main / side / indicators)
it's on an my02

TIA

Apple

PS as a design mod - the HID bulb housings could do with being shorter as they prevent the rubber cap fitting back on the housing (even with a hole cut for the grommet - looks like a silicon spluging session to come )
Old 17 November 2002, 09:17 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Take a ballast feed direct from/earth back to the battery. If it works, its a feed/earth/relay/fuse problem somewhere, if it doesn't it's a ballast/capsule problem. Swop capsules with the other side to determine that.
Old 17 November 2002, 09:33 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that, Dave . Not completely sure where you mean to take the feed from back to the battery but I can hopefully swap the capsules to eliminate that option. I know the relays and fuse is ok on the non-working side so will check the other bits and report back.

Apple
Old 17 November 2002, 10:49 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

If you get the 12V and earth the wrong way round to the ballast box nothing happens at all. Bur nothings damaged, swop it round and it works OK, so it must be protected internally from wrong polarity.

If swopping the ballast box from one side to the other solves it then you know it's a problem with the HID wiring loom. Check the wiring on the HID loom and make sure the 12V ends up on the same pin of the grey plug on both looms.

When I got mine from Scoobysport one was wired up the wrong way and I got the same problems, swopped the pins over and it's been fine ever since. These guys probably make looms up by the hundred so the odd mistake is bound to slip through.
Old 17 November 2002, 11:52 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ta Chelspeed ,

Update 1: everything works when swapped to other side so the only bit not fully checked is one of the looms - it could be as you say with the 12V feed

The feed to energise the relay is taken from the dipped connectors but one of the wires seems to be a dummy lead (as you only want one live input) so I suppose if this connector is on the wrong way round then the relay won't fire to bring in the ballast... or does this work whichever way round?

Thanks

Apple
Old 17 November 2002, 02:06 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Not sure exactly what you mean. Is this an H1 dip beam HID from the group buy? If so then it's the same as mine.

As you say the relay is triggered by a connection to the wire that used to conenct to the back of the H1 bulb. Theres also another wire, an earth, that connects to the holder next to the bulb to get a good earth, it's a flag (sideways on) terminal on mine. You haven't connected to this one by mistake have you?

The relay gets its earth from the connection that goes to the battery, the black cable with the ring on it. This goes to one of the relay trigger terminals, 85 or 86. The 12v trigger comes from the dip bulb connector as above, this goes to the other trigger terminal, 85 or 86.

The ballast box gets 12V from the relay via the red fused connection from the battery, the red wire should go to pin 30 and then the ballast box feed from one of the two 87 pins. The box gets its earth from another wire connected to the relay earth described above. Then from the relay these two, 12V and earth, are connected to the grey plug that connects to the ballast box. This is the most likely point for a mistake, swopping these two inadvertently. On mine earth is on A and 12V on B.

You say you have proved the fuse and relay, by swopping with the other side presumably. Prove the relay is wired up right by putting on dip beam, pull the relay in and out of the socket gently and you should be able to easily hear and feel the relay clicking in and out as it is inserted and removed. If it isn't then check the relay wiring as above.

If the relay is working then check the wiring to the grey plug.

Old 17 November 2002, 03:07 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nearly, it's the H7 bulb from the group buy - I've got both HIDs to come on when I switch on dipped beam but when I go to main beam, one HID goes out and the same side main beam doesn't come on (the bulbs are OK in the main beam). The other side seems to work fine i.e. HID only & sidelight on for dipped, then HID & main & sidelight on main beam (without HID going off)

I know the relay is OK as I've tested it across the terminals and it does click OK.

I'll keep going round things...

Apple
Old 17 November 2002, 06:31 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorted it

The main and dip going off when you went to beam was a blown 15A fuse

Just need to get the height set correctly as they're a bit low

Thanks to all for the help

Apple