Notices

STi Type UK Prodrive and Driving lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2002, 04:21 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew, Behind the covers on the Prodrive STi7 Subaru have provided cut-outs to accomodate some driving lamps (which one i don't know ), there is also what looks like the wirning loom already in place complete with connectors. I had a drive down to PIAA UK yesterday to try different lights to see if any will fit straight in, and clear the covers if they are replaced with lights in situ. The only ones which seem viable are the 600 series, of which they do a HID version but some minor mods. may be needed to fit them properly. I am trying to find out from Subaru what they intend to supply but am stil waiting for a reply.

simon
Old 09 July 2002, 04:37 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Thanks ids, though I doubt anything but replacing my lights with HID would give out the same amount of light as those driving lamps.

Simon, that's what I was hoping, can't see prodrive cutting of another way for us poor owners to hand money over to dealers
Old 10 July 2002, 01:11 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Seems a shame, would be the only impreza where driving lamps aren't an option unless you want to hack up your existing covers (I believe I saw someone had already done this)

I'll have to hunt for HID options for the standard lights then
Old 10 July 2002, 02:44 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Dave T-S

The WRX STi type UK accessories catalogue has details of exactly these covers, "bumper cover set (fog lamp)", WR Blue - H4510FE200PG, blue black H4510FE200VI, silver H4510FE200TG. Bad news is they're 300 odd quid....

Pete Croney is trying to come up with a cheaper alternative but not spoke to him recently to see how he's getting on.

Do you have a part no for the round metal plate with captive nuts? I had a look on the parts CD but it looked to me like the bolts fitted into part of the bumper beam but I could have been mistaken. I was going to fabricate something myself but if it's available I'll do that.
Old 10 July 2002, 04:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

PS - the lamp backplate is a separate part - you need to look on the WRX or MY00< parts CD.
Old 10 July 2002, 06:04 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you get anywhere with Trouser (in a purely lamp fashion) let me know, I'd certainly be up for a set
Old 10 July 2002, 10:18 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

A*se.... you're right just tried the lights in the hole, I assumed if these covers fitted the fog lights they'd fit the driving lights too. Good job I haven't bought the covers yet.

I've got the Scoobysport HID hellas, they fit back into the recess a bit so don't stick out as far as others. But they are parallel whereas the OEM fogs are tapered and cut away on the outside corners. My hella's will stick out thro the covers on the outside corner. B*ll*ocks!! There's a fair amount of space behind though so I'll have a look to see if I can recess them back a bit further.

New covers were exactly what Pete at Scoobysport was looking at, made of perspex and sprayed body colour where not needed to be transparent. Not sure how he's getting on and how he will cope with the light sticking thro the cover....

You're right about the mounting ring too, I was looking at the Prodrive style CD which doesn't have the ring as standard so it's not surprising I couldn't see it. Doh!
Old 07 September 2002, 02:57 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Question

While taking my MY00 wagon in to have something checked out I took the opportunity to test drive an Sti7, shouldn't have done it, anyhow, bought it pick it up friday (it's not new, just a couple of months old)

So all is well, except for the fact of course I'm now going to be PIAA'less. Am I going to miss the PIAA's compared to the standard STi lights (I'm pretty sure I am!) and what are the options? I seem to recall something about there be nothing to fit lamps to behind the prodrive bumper?

TIA,
Andrew

[Edited by Andrewza - 7/9/2002 2:58:17 PM]
Old 07 September 2002, 04:11 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Andrew

The lights are dman good on the UK STi's. Try upgrading the bulbs as well as it made a fair difference to mine. Check out the thread in this section.

Kev

[Edited by ids - 7/9/2002 4:16:08 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 09:08 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The STi UK Prodrive has the moulded in lamp mounts just like any other Impreza. All you have to do is slot in the metal backplates with the three captive nuts and you can fit any lamps as offered to earlier Imprezas. I have already test fitted the PIAA's off our old MY01 WRX's. Incidentally, the PIAA's to use are the Pro 80XT, but they won't fit behind the covers (but then why would anyone want to fit driving lamps and put the covers back on.....).

Of cource, sourcing a replacement lamp cover with a hole moulded in it to cover the dirty great hole left when you take the covers off, and fit round the new lamps, is another thing......

I have talked to Prodrive about this several times but it isn't on the agenda.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 7/10/2002 9:11:03 AM]
Old 07 October 2002, 04:27 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chelspeed
The covers in the catalogue are to go over *fog* lamps and are imported from Japan. The OEM fog lamps are inset further into the bumper than PIAA's/Cibie/Hella. The holes are also smaller than many aftermarket lights.

I first raised this in February here:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=69886

Yeah, I did know the cost. If you fancy hacking holes in the the existing covers and it all goes horribly wrong, the actual STi original blank covers are about £400 pair

It just needs someone to make some replacement fibreglass or preferably ABS covers with a Hella shaped hole in.....most of the suppliers I have talked to are not interested (i'm currently wooing Trouser - in a strictly lamp fashion I should add... ).

[Edited by Dave T-S - 7/10/2002 4:30:35 PM]