Notices

Blowing ignition fuse and red hot cat

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2021, 02:07 PM
sgking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing ignition fuse and red hot cat

Hi just posting my experience up in case it helps others.

2002 bugeye sport (non turbo)

Got car back from garage after welding and it was started via a booster pack as battery had died (garage had car 4 months)
When got home we left it idle to charge battery somewhat, but surprised to find car had actually died whilst idling and would not turn over at all.
Bought a new battery and fitted and would turn over but not start.
Went through all fuses to find ignition fuse in the car (15 amp) had blown. Replaced it and tried again but it kept blowing the fuse.
Disconnected fuel pump and coil and tried starting to see if fuse still blew and it didnt, so to eliminate one I connected fuel pump and the fuse didnt blow. Next I connected the coil and tried again and car started but idle was very very rough. After few mins realised the cat was glowing RED HOT and burning smell so switched off and had a think.
Next day I fitted a spare coil pack that I had lying around and car started fine so it must have been the coil. I inspected the old coil and sure enough, on the underside there was a bulge where it must have shat itself and so car was not running on 4 cylinders and must have been dumping fuel into the cat.
Time will tell if any lamda or cat damage but car now seems fine at idle and when revving by hand (no not driven it yet).

I wanted to put this up as i did alot of reading around the net and so many people complain of the blown ignition fuse but dont complete their threads with hapy endings and I wanted my experience to be known. May help someone someday.

Old 11 February 2021, 03:16 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Did they disconnect the battery during the welding?
I hope they have not fried any ECU or burnt any wiring
Old 11 February 2021, 05:39 PM
sgking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes my thoughts too. No way to know though! If car develops more electrical type faults I will obviously be bearing in mind