Notices

Very strange tail light and illumination problem

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2015, 09:45 AM
Gussyy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very strange tail light and illumination problem

Hi all, I have a 2001 gda impreza wrx, (Australian). Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for illumination fuse or wiring diagrams for the car. As I can only find the 02 wrx (American). Is there any difference?

So my problem starts with the dash lights not working, so the fog lights,speedo lights, the bottom lights under aircon button for you're aircon/fan control and whatever else is on the illumination fuse inside won't work. So it's been blowing the fuse instantly with 5-20amp fuse on the illumination when I turn the parks on and headlights. Doesn't make a difference what I have it on plus the dimmer switch for the illumination doesn't make a difference. Also it takes a little bit more time with the 30amp fuse to blow. So the strange thing is. Sometimes depending what size fuse you have in the illumination. The rear taillight fuse blows sometimes. And in some cases it blows the 30amp fuse in the engine bay which I think was a lighting fuse? . Does anyone know where to start? Or would it be best for a auto electrician to sort it out.
Old 21 June 2015, 11:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere.

You could start by unplugging the rear lights one at a time, see if that stops it. If it does, then inspect the wiring in the bulbholders.

You could also manually inspect cable runs inside the boot, under the carpets at the sides (the inside plastic sill covers are dead easy to remove), and check for abrasion, bends, kinks, damage etc.

Do the same with front sidelights.
Old 21 June 2015, 12:33 PM
Gussyy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mate I've looked into it deeper, got a hold of 2001 wrx wiring diagrams online, it looks like the illumination/taillights relay or illumination control module might have something to do with it . ill keep you posted