Notices

Prosport Gauge sensor reliability

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2015, 08:01 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Prosport Gauge sensor reliability

So I bought a Prosport fuel pressure gauge and sensor for the car, to complement the existing boost gauge, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges already fitted.

I'd had a set of prosport stepper gauges previously, but now I've gone with the Evo series just because they looked a little prettier; however they unfortunately appear to share the same reliability issues that plagued my old boost sensor on my prosport stepper gauges - in so far as they only seem to work about 50% of the time.

The oil pressure and temperature gauges aren't a problem, they've worked from day one.
However, I'm now on my second fuel pressure sensor after the first one kept reading between 0 and 7 bar and then failing to read at all during drives (which I know is rubbish because we've had the car on the rollers and fueling was fine), and literally 3 weeks after fitting and proper operation, the second sensor now appears to be on the way out as well.

Same appears to be true for the boost gauge sensor - a few months after fitting and perfect operation, now just reads when it wants to; from what I gather, this is a problem with the Prosport boost gauge sensors, and I see R Spec have now introduced a "waterproof" one - quite why they'd sell one that isn't waterproof is beyond me, but has anyone else had this sort of experience with fuel pressure or any idea how to resolve it?

Connections are all fine, I have a nasty feeling these are just cheap nasty sensors from what I'm reading on NASIOC, which is really irritating as the gauges themselves seem fine...
Old 21 June 2015, 11:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sadly, you may be right.......remember that the senders aren't "sexy" like the gauge itself, so less interest in them, and yes, some manufacturers will cut corners with them.

If it's the sender, it's up to them to keep replacing it until you get one that works, at least for a year. After that......keep buying, or buy dearer gauges.

Sorry.

BTW: You HAVE checked that the connections at the rear of the gauge are SECURELY plugged in, pressing in with a small screwdriver helps?
Old 21 June 2015, 12:50 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running with any methanol? Many cheaper pressure senders use seals that will fail if exposed to methanol, causing fuel to get in to the electronics and killing the sender.

I don't know this to be a fact with the Prosport senders by the way.
Old 21 June 2015, 06:51 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TimH
Are you running with any methanol? Many cheaper pressure senders use seals that will fail if exposed to methanol, causing fuel to get in to the electronics and killing the sender.

I don't know this to be a fact with the Prosport senders by the way.
Hi Tim,

I have a meth map but tbh I rarely use it and haven't at all since installing the most recent fuel pressure sensor.

Thanks,

Giles