Notices

Failed JDM HID Headlight, What next ??

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2015, 05:15 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed JDM HID Headlight, What next ??

Hi All,

Anyone had experience of this or similar.

I have a 2005 05 Wide track STI which has JDM HID headlights which until recently have been working fine (Fantastic upgrade from the standard UK / European ones).

Just before Christmas as I left work (Only use the car occasionally, not every day) the Passenger side came on and flickered then went off, Next time I tried when I got home it was gone completely.

After a bit of research online I replaced the bulbs but still only the drivers side is working, further research suggested the flicker could of been caused by the ballast packing up, so I have replaced that this afternoon which still doesn't work.

I have checked all my wiring and have voltages present where they should be and have even tested all 3 ballasts on the drivers headlight unit and all 3 work (So the original ballast wasn't blown)

I have also swapped the drivers headlight onto the passenger side wiring and it still works, which would confirm the wiring is also ok (And fuses and relays etc..)

Putting the passenger unit onto the drivers side doesn't work though, I have even swapped over the ignitor leads (Output from the ballast) to confirm they work on the other unit etc..

Basically I am now down to the fact that every thing, leads, bulbs, ballasts, wiring, relays etc... all work but only on the one unit.

What else can of failed within the unit ?? Or any other ideas as I am stumped at the moment.
Old 13 January 2015, 05:38 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
Hi All,

Anyone had experience of this or similar.

I have a 2005 05 Wide track STI which has JDM HID headlights which until recently have been working fine (Fantastic upgrade from the standard UK / European ones).

Just before Christmas as I left work (Only use the car occasionally, not every day) the Passenger side came on and flickered then went off, Next time I tried when I got home it was gone completely.

After a bit of research online I replaced the bulbs but still only the drivers side is working, further research suggested the flicker could of been caused by the ballast packing up, so I have replaced that this afternoon which still doesn't work.

I have checked all my wiring and have voltages present where they should be and have even tested all 3 ballasts on the drivers headlight unit and all 3 work (So the original ballast wasn't blown)

I have also swapped the drivers headlight onto the passenger side wiring and it still works, which would confirm the wiring is also ok (And fuses and relays etc..)

Putting the passenger unit onto the drivers side doesn't work though, I have even swapped over the ignitor leads (Output from the ballast) to confirm they work on the other unit etc..

Basically I am now down to the fact that every thing, leads, bulbs, ballasts, wiring, relays etc... all work but only on the one unit.

What else can of failed within the unit ?? Or any other ideas as I am stumped at the moment.
Interior and engine bay fuses?
Old 13 January 2015, 05:50 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Just in case.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 13 January 2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 13 January 2015, 07:50 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Just in case.

I haven't physically checked them but I did state in the post that I have plugged the drivers side headlight into the passenger side loom and vice versa, The drivers side headlight worked on the passenger side but the passenger side one still doesn't work on the drivers side.

I am wondering if there is anything else internally on the headlight unit that could of blown / broken / burnt out ??
Old 13 January 2015, 08:00 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
I haven't physically checked them but I did state in the post that I have plugged the drivers side headlight into the passenger side loom and vice versa, The drivers side headlight worked on the passenger side but the passenger side one still doesn't work on the drivers side.

I am wondering if there is anything else internally on the headlight unit that could of blown / broken / burnt out ??
Engine bay relays ben checked?
Old 13 January 2015, 10:58 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Have you tried the drivers bulb in the passenger headlight just to double rule out another faulty bulb?
Old 13 January 2015, 11:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

This is what I found with my electrical gremlin. They worked in situ but when removed this is what I found.
Corrosion.

Old 13 January 2015, 11:24 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Have you tried the drivers bulb in the passenger headlight just to double rule out another faulty bulb?

I think I did, but as I am typing I am doubting myself !!

Best put that on the list of things to try.
Old 14 January 2015, 07:31 AM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Is the new ballast like for like or is the wiring different. Have you checked all voltages with a multimeter?
Old 14 January 2015, 09:48 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by b3nmw
Is the new ballast like for like or is the wiring different. Have you checked all voltages with a multimeter?

Have you read that the OP has tested the OS headlamp on the NS wiring and it works lol
Old 14 January 2015, 10:16 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b3nmw
Don't be sticking a multimeter in to the socket for the bulb either, up to 23000 volts can be generated there at startup.
Old 14 January 2015, 11:00 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
Don't be sticking a multimeter in to the socket for the bulb either, up to 23000 volts can be generated there at startup.

Too right, I just checked the there were 12v present in at the plug that goes onto the ballast, wasn't going to be prodding around anywhere near the output side !!

I used the "working" unit to test out the other ballasts
Old 14 January 2015, 11:02 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Have you read that the OP has tested the OS headlamp on the NS wiring and it works lol

I was beginning to think no one had fully read the first post
Old 14 January 2015, 01:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Soooooooooo

You know for certain you have three working ballasts, three working bulbs and two working headlight units?

And both headlights WILL work on one side, but not on the other?

Then it has to be wiring-related on the non-working side.

Check all connectors for corrosion, breakage etc.
Check that voltages are present where they should be.
Check that all EARTH paths are clear and good.
Old 15 January 2015, 07:24 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Soooooooooo

You know for certain you have three working ballasts, three working bulbs and two working headlight units?

And both headlights WILL work on one side, but not on the other?

Then it has to be wiring-related on the non-working side.

Check all connectors for corrosion, breakage etc.
Check that voltages are present where they should be.
Check that all EARTH paths are clear and good.

No not quite, One headlight works on both sides but not the other one so to me that indicates that wiring, fuses relays are all ok and the problem is within the one headlight unit.

I have also stated that I have the correct voltages available at the plug that goes onto the ballast (Again confirmed by plugging working headlight into that part of the loom)

I have verified that the original ballast works by trying it on the working unit along with the recently purchased now "spare" ballast so I know I have 3 working ballasts.

The only test I can't be 100% certain that I checked was to swap the bulbs over to rule out being unfortunate enough to have received a duff bulb when I brought a new pair, As stated I need to confirm this.

But I am sure I plugged the lead from the working unit onto the bulb in the none working unit when I was testing things, just not 100% sure

Hence the original post and question could it be something else within the none working unit.
Old 15 January 2015, 07:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ah, OK, sorry for the confusion.
Yes, it has to be either the bulb or the unit itself.

Since there is very little to the unit, I might suspect the connector between ballast and bulb?

Can you try the working one on the non-working side?
Old 15 January 2015, 08:12 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Yeah that is my thinking too, surely can only be the unit itself or the bulb.

I will try the old bulbs in the unit as I know one of the two was working as I changed the original pair, If none of the bulbs work then its time to get the other head light unit out and repeat all the tests I feel to be 100% sure everything has been eliminated.

I am pretty sure I tried it by plugging into the back of the other unit, but again as I can't be 100% sure its best to repeat.

I know the new ballast was supplied with a lead and that didn't work on the none working unit either.

I agree with you though vey little inside the unit to go wrong is there ??
Old 16 January 2015, 01:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Nope, virtually nothing, the bulb holder is all and the return isn't through that.

To test it, remove ballast, ballast to bulb lead and bulb from non working side.

Start by installing bulb in working side.

If it works, install ballast to bulb lead.
If that works, instal ballast.

Whichever one gives you a non working light on the working side, is faulty.
Old 25 January 2015, 11:32 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

An update regarding the headlight situation, Finally managed to get sometime today to look at it again, combination of spare time and no rain !!

I had removed the faulty headlight unit and it was indoors for a week so I could have a look in more detail if anyone had come back with any ideas, went out to try / retry a methodical list of tests ghis time making note of what was tested in which unit / loom etc to rule out / narrow down the problem.

I thought first off to reconnect the faulty unit and check it was still faulty, did this and hey presto it worked

All back to the original parts + the new bulb that didn't work a week or so ago, so was none the wiser as to why it hadn't worked

Only thing I can think is maybe some moisture somewhere within the unit preventing it working and the few days indoors has dried it out ??

Really lost for ideas as to the cause but for the moment I have two working headlights again
Old 26 January 2015, 12:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Weird.

Might just have been a poor connection now made properly?

We'll have to wait and see what happens next, if anything.
Old 26 January 2015, 01:02 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Yes very weird indeed !!

Also very frustrating and a tad annoying that I spent a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things of £120 (£60 2x new bulbs and £60 replacement ballast) that appear to of not been needed

I guess though if it was caused by a damp issue at least I have a spare ballast that is dry indoors that could be replaced if required.

We wait and see if it happens again I guess
Old 26 January 2015, 02:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Put the bulbs on ebay?