Notices

subwoofer help.

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2014, 08:50 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default subwoofer help.

My bro is fitting a sub to his van . The head unit has no line out , so I told him he could use the "high level input" method (wire from the door speakers).

He said it sounds a bit pathetic. I read the instructions and realised that method is really only for speakers rather than a sub ? Is that why it doesnt sound right ? He said it was easier to wire from the dash speakers but the wire to these was tiny , could that be the issue ? Are they maybe tweeters and only supplying the high frequency of the audio to the amp ? He couldn't wire from the head unit , said a purple and grey left each door speaker , but at the head unit there's only one purple and two grey

I know to tell him to turn on the "LPF" (low pass filter) but whats the best setting on the filter ? It goes from 50hz to 300hz. There is also a low boost which boosts 40hz up to +10db , should that get cranked up ?

Sorry for all the questions , but he thinks I should know all the answers as I'm an electrician
Old 18 April 2014, 11:21 AM
Gc8turbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a decent head unit...
Old 18 April 2014, 06:35 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Thanks.
Old 18 April 2014, 08:44 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

if the amp has a proper high level input then it should be fine and there should be some degree of adjustment on the amp as well. i ran a high level input setup for ages out of lazyness before i eventually ran an RCA up to the headunit in my old BMW.

i may well put the sub and amp in my WRX now though as the BMW wont need it considering theres no carpet, no sound deadening, no parcel spelf and at most probably only be 2 front speakers haha. just need to make sure the pram still fits in the boot if the sub is in there

actually.. if the weathers decent again tomorrow that might just be the taks for the day.. get the sub/amp out of the shed and into the WRX as already have a nice aftermarket headunit and i could be doing with making some extra space in the shed.

Last edited by DmcL; 18 April 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 19 April 2014, 08:38 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Thats why my bro fitted the sub in the van , it was just kicking about. The standard head unit has no rca out but he isnt going to go out and buy a new one , just making use of whats there.

I got an rca converter off a site member , so will see what it does when it arrives.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:45 PM
JayRomano
Scooby Newbie

Just get yourself a speaker to RCA converter and if you want more adjustment on the bass, a RCA bass controller.
Old 13 May 2014, 07:09 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JayRomano
Just get yourself a speaker to RCA converter and if you want more adjustment on the bass, a RCA bass controller.
Got one (see my last post)