Notices

Am i mad?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2007, 04:37 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Am i mad?

As most will know, ive not had the rb5 for long, however, after a fairly expensive week im in two minds as to keep it or not. I know all the work i had done was 1 off and for my own piece of mind. But i just dont know if i should sell up and go vack to what i know best... Hondas!

The meets etc on here and the future events make me want to keep it and see if i can grow to love it like i did the integra.

Basically if i sell I'll be taking a big hit as I paid good money for the car, and even more servicing it etc, but coming on here and talking to a few yesterday has made mr consider giving it a second chance.

what to do, what to do
Old 20 October 2007, 05:06 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Wink Keep the car Ollie....

Alrite Ollie, i havent had my RB5 for long either and i know what u mean about the costs, but trust me, once u start spending and modding u wont wana stop, and the things u can do to these scoobs are endless.

When i got my RB5 i was only gona fit a few wee mods like fuel pump, regulator, de-cat, boost controiller and full exhaust etc, but after having these things done now already and seeing the massive difference they make, i just want more more more....

Im now awaiting OMA to fit me a front mounted intercooler, Haltec ECU, unequal length headers/up-pipe and bigger injectors....and after that i'll hopefully be getting a big turbo in the new year ....so as u can imagine my budget has gone straight out the window

What im saying is that yes these cars are quite expensive to run and mod, but once u start doing wee things and see the benefits of a few mods you'll just wana keep on going cus they get better and better, and they're every bit as reliable as other cars and probably not much more expensive to maintain than any other high performance cars either?? Im sure the Honda Integra u have would be expensive to mod to a high spec too would it not??

Have a word whey Michael at OMA and tak a look at some of the cars he's done or if u want u can see some of the things iv done to mine, or even take a run in it after i get the ECU and front mount fitted to see what u think before u decide to sell or something silly

I doubt i'll be sticking with the Scoobs now that i have one, nothing even comes close for the money, and like u say Scoobynet is great and im sure there will be plenty more meets and runs like last Sunday to look forward to . Go on....get the wallet out and start going mad

Kevin
Old 20 October 2007, 05:14 PM
ulsterscooby
Scooby Regular

Location: Way out in front!!, wheels spinnin, flame spittin, turbo spoolin!!! --- Go home love, nobody cares!

Personally after owning a scooby I really cant see myself ever driving any other car
the handling the performance the friendships made I could go on forever

im lovin it
Old 20 October 2007, 05:25 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

yeh its def a mcdonalds car ulsterscooby.............................
Old 20 October 2007, 07:09 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OLLIeRB5 plz dont go we need you for your nav skills and as youve said youve took the hit now so carry on and give it a fair chance. As we chatted both of us had hondas with no runs out or the camaraderie we have experienced in this short time it can only get better.

Now that youve made it far far away from the coast of bangor you can explore other coastlines yes there are other coastlines apart from bangor and all are better in an AWD Impreza. Forget the vtec and give the rumble a chance, itll grow on you.

see ya soon bushi
Old 20 October 2007, 09:46 PM
robertgraham
Scooby Regular

Don`t do it ollie! Vtecs are an economical lifestyle, but i`d never go back. A subaru is a totally different animal.

You have a great example of a very desirable model, don`t get rid!!
Old 20 October 2007, 10:40 PM
geoffo
Scooby Regular

ollie i no u betta than most and simply ur driving style is vtec, no torque just top end revs that have u grinning like a champion, i remember taking u to get the teg and i also remember lending u my own scooby just so u could see wot it felt like, i warned u that nite about alot of the things i knew would feel strange to u but the rb5 turned u on, it took me a while to get used to mine mate - maybe its the same for u, i just hope u do wot u want and are happi about it, ur a good mate i dont wanna see ya unhappy.
Old 20 October 2007, 11:21 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

They say there is no substitute for cubic inches ( or no replacement for displacement )

This isnt true. Boost is that replacement.

And comparing Subarus to Hondas. Hondas dont have displacement, OR boost lol....

To have to drive a car that doesnt have forced induction, is unthinkable. Some Hondas may look nice, but IMO there is no comparison between them and a Subaru.
Old 21 October 2007, 01:39 AM
fabiostar
Scooby Regular

Default !!

good god man see your doctor quick that motor you have is real nice. .

park it up in a carpark beside a honda and see how many people use the honda to sit on so they get a better look at your scoob...

fabio
Old 21 October 2007, 10:46 AM
ian123
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by ulsterscooby
Personally after owning a scooby I really cant see myself ever driving any other car
the handling the performance the friendships made I could go on forever

im lovin it
hello rab, its ian from antrim ,getting the shocks on tuesday mate and hopefully the dumpvalve and exhaust,see you soon mate,hello everyone @scoobynet.com hope to get out sometime with you

Last edited by ian123; 21 October 2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 21 October 2007, 11:05 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i ve had my wagon for about 6 months and have been buying bits for it etc.... so on top of petrol i can t affort to drive it every day

i had a honda before and i loved the car i wish i still had it. but the honda just didn t compare to the subaru

not driving the car every day makes it so good when i jump into it. as i drive a punto to work etc.............worlds of different .... gear bag etc

vtec is good but be honest its not boost

why don t u concider a second car????? a cheap run around or cheap enough honda

i think u would regret selling such a nice motor. don t fight it u know u want the scooby
Old 21 October 2007, 01:22 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, i`m just getting the frighteners as i`m constantly pumping money I dont have into it.. but its all one off things like timing belts etc for my own piece of mind.

the only thing still worrying me is the slight hesitation when the car is cold, but neil is sorting me with a new maf which i think it is, then all should be grand.

I can still drive a honda everyday as the other half has my old integra and uses a 107 for work 6 days a week, so its there if i want it.

talking to jamie (j16 JRF) on friday has made me think about reconsidering selling it. I love the boost, but I also love the vtec. and I actually drive the scoob slower than the honda just for the pure rumble!

and as jim says, the craic and comararadiereedere (lol sp?) on here is second to none!

i`m gonna go wash it here, cuz its stinking and it`ll excite me once its clean.... and i`ll take it from there, start this week fresh and see where things take me.
Old 21 October 2007, 01:42 PM
dee hagan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i bought my cossie in march and a few months later i found myself feeling the same as u do now.....stick with it mate!
it may seem like all u are doing is spending money on it but just think how lucky you are to have such a nice example of a rare and sought after car.

it gets better from here.....
Old 21 October 2007, 01:51 PM
ian123
Scooby Newbie

ANYBODY GOING TO STORMOUNT ON THE 15TH GIVE US A SHOUT PLEASE IAN123 NEW MEMBER.
Old 21 October 2007, 02:14 PM
c0lin
Scooby Regular

Ollie, dont u dare sell that!!
Old 21 October 2007, 03:35 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

washed, polished, engine bay cleaned (well most of), stone chips touched in, all i gotta do now is sort this slight hesitation and i may be ok

looking at it clean now.. god its lovely
Old 21 October 2007, 10:39 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

ollie ull regret gettin rid. u know when ur skunnered of a car when u cant even b arsed 2 wash it.ur not at this stage just yet!
Old 21 October 2007, 11:24 PM
fabiostar
Scooby Regular

Default sell it

get shot of it..shes a dog that car.

how much do you want and ill take it of your hands

fabio
Old 24 October 2007, 04:28 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

god your such a fruit just keep the bloody thing,
i must say though boost is the worlds most addictive thing lol **** drugs its all about BOOOOOOST.

thanks for spilling your blood in my car too haha AIDS.
Glad i helped talk you out of selling it
ps i got my prodrive backbox on looks gorgeous, must say mine does look far better than yours haha.

And for god sake man drive it like you stole it then you will love it
Old 24 October 2007, 05:15 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

ive me your old backbox Bungle
Old 24 October 2007, 06:32 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by OLLIeRB5
washed, polished, engine bay cleaned (well most of), stone chips touched in, all i gotta do now is sort this slight hesitation and i may be ok

looking at it clean now.. god its lovely
Alrite Ollie, when i got me RB5 back after the engine rebuild i had to drive it easy for 1000miles to run it in and when i started to drive it properly after the run-in period, I also had a slight hesitation which felt like the car was holding back around 3000-3500rpm!!

I got onto Michael at OMA and he said it probably wouldnt be much....possibly an airflow meter problem or something like that.
I was getting my new exhaust at this time so i decided to go on and get a downpipe at the same time (sure why not )....got the parts and left the car up with OMA and when i got it back ....NO MORE HESITATIONS!!

Seems my hesitations were due to a faulty air flow meter and a dodgy lamda sensor in the exhaust.

With the new bits and the complete exhaust fitted (hayward and scott downpipe and blitz nur spec centre and rear section) the car went great!!

Id say ur hesitation is prob something the same like a dodgy air flow meter or sensor. Iv since had 2 more airflow meters this year as they are prone to going on the 99 model cars or so i hear so a new airflow meter is always my first port of call if I have any hesitation problems

Id recommend u get a good exhaust and downpipe as well, makes the car feel a whole lot torquey and responsive!!

Kevin

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 24 October 2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 24 October 2007, 10:41 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

no bungle its already gone mate, was a powerflow one anyway, your better off with the one you have
Old 25 October 2007, 12:08 AM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Simple advice.....KEEP IT, LOVE IT, ENJOY IT...............
Old 25 October 2007, 12:17 AM
\\shorty//
Scooby Regular

in the last five years i have had an evo 1, modded mr2 gts, celica gt4 and now the scoob. i can honestly say that i loved the toyotas the best for looks,handling and performance, as well as reliability. since owning the scoob ive had nothing but probs (prob fae a heavy left foot and oversteer). everyone tells me to let it go, but ive convinced myself that it has something to give and cant let it ago. you just cant beat the noise it produces and the reputation is enormous. **** i love that car.
Old 25 October 2007, 10:17 AM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

new maf ordered from edwin longs as hes my local dealer. hopefully that will fix it up good.

sadly £88 i dont have which in turn makes me wanna stick a match to the motor and watch it burn, plus the fact I had a cheaper alternative set up and got let down big style on it the other night which added further insult to injury.

once this is fitted i sincerely hope i dont have to spend another penny on this car until after new year...

and my carbon firbe engine bits ordered 3 weeks ago.. still havent been bloody posted, i`m certain this is the honda gods way of punishing me

and as for OMA.. i`m the answer fone king.. never able to get thru and atm the i dont have time to take a run up, so once i get sorted, get a few days off i`ll be taking a run up for a yarn and see what can be offered

Last edited by OLLIeRB5; 25 October 2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: txt
Old 25 October 2007, 11:01 AM
jaybo79
Scooby Regular

ollie mate nothing to do with the car, i just think your mad anyway
Old 25 October 2007, 08:37 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

I was thinking the same thing the other night and i haven't even had my sti for a week yet! Coming from the fabia vrs, it's vastly different but mostly in the fuel consumption, i knew how bad it was going to be and how much it was going to cost after doing the sums. However watching the fuel gauge physically drop after doing 15-20 miles into work sitting in traffic is scary. Then putting £50 into it the other day and it wasn't even empty was another new experience. However i got talking to a guy who use to own one, and after he came out to see mine it made him want to get one again, i kinda realised that i'm lucky to be able to afford one, and should just forget about the fuel consumption, and enjoy it. So i'm going to give it a good clean this weekend, then take it out on a few b-roads for a bit of a spin and enjoy it, as i've spent 500 miles in traffic or sitting on motorways this week, and it just wasn't made for that. Hang in there ollie, it'll come good.
Old 25 October 2007, 08:42 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

ollie u only live once hun. bugger the money side of things. u cant take it with u. enjoy ur car while u can. u never know whats around the corner...................
Old 26 October 2007, 02:56 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

what all have you had to do to the car ollie thats costing so much? i had mine serviced and all checked over, boost system cleaned out etc by OMA when i bought it which cost around £200, since then ive bought the H&S downpipe which i got 2nd hand £130 and new greddy boost controller at 180 then 200 all in for fitting both parts and setting up.i also bought a new MAF for piece of mind wheni bought it......but ive taken my time and saved for the parts bit by bit since April

admittedly i couldnt fuel the car everyday given the miles i do, but i have the trusty 1.0 polo for that lol....buy a cheap run a round for a few hundred and have the scoob for evenings/weekends u'll appreciate it much more too......i wouldnt sell mine tbh, i love it, puts a big smile on my face everytime, plus more power is on the cards,its hard to resist the quest for more horsies :-)
Old 26 October 2007, 03:06 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burt2000
what all have you had to do to the car ollie thats costing so much? i had mine serviced and all checked over, boost system cleaned out etc by OMA when i bought it which cost around £200, since then ive bought the H&S downpipe which i got 2nd hand £130 and new greddy boost controller at 180 then 200 all in for fitting both parts and setting up.i also bought a new MAF for piece of mind wheni bought it......but ive taken my time and saved for the parts bit by bit since April

admittedly i couldnt fuel the car everyday given the miles i do, but i have the trusty 1.0 polo for that lol....buy a cheap run a round for a few hundred and have the scoob for evenings/weekends u'll appreciate it much more too......i wouldnt sell mine tbh, i love it, puts a big smile on my face everytime, plus more power is on the cards,its hard to resist the quest for more horsies :-)
burt2000 just had a look at ur car. its gorgeous! lovely pics

Quick Reply: Am i mad?