Ring Convoy - Please Read!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 03:30 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Everyone,

Apparently I have been put in charge of leading people to the Ring on Thursday!! Blimey!

The only place where we are all going to be together is on the Seacat, so please can we take 5 mins just to explain things. I will hand out maps and directions at the same time just in case any of you lose the convoy.

FYI, we will be stopping for juice every 100 miles, because there will be a couple of cars in the convoy that need to do this due to the size of their tanks. Also, cruising speed will be approx. 90 mph. If anyone feels uneasy about this ( maybe the shorter geared STI people?) then let me know.

My moby is 07796 274601, if anybody has a question that they might like to ask me before we head off.

See you all on Thursday.

Matt.
Old 09 April 2001, 03:50 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Matt...

ooh can't wait

Sal
Old 09 April 2001, 05:41 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

[Also, cruising speed will be approx. 90 mph.]

Surely some of you might want to open her up a little every now and then .....how about it James, a little bit of slip streaming wouldn't go a miss
Old 09 April 2001, 06:16 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

FYI,

Motorway speed limits on the continent are generally 130kph (81mph) but 90mph will keep you up with the flow of the traffic. More importantly, the country where you're most likely to get nicked/have an accident appears to be Belgium so take special care on that leg.

I don't know how the Italians got a bad reputation for driving with the Belgians as competition. I shudder to think what kind of driver you would get if you crossed an Itailan with a Belgian. The French are pretty good drivers (i.e. they don't get in your way much) and the Germans aren't too bad either.

Good luck with the journey, you can be sure that Matt will have plenty of maps. Just don't follow Stef "This can't be the ****ing way to Germany" Reader".

Gute fahrte!

Never ceases to amuse me that one.
Old 09 April 2001, 06:31 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Question

Guys,

having a convoy of so many cars won't work.
It'll probably be better to split into groups of about 6 or 7 cars.

Thanks

Sonu
Old 09 April 2001, 07:05 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>I shudder to think what kind of driver you would get if you crossed an Itailan with a Belgian

Umm... I give up. Oh wait, nooo: a Dutch driver of course

Theo [being half Belgian, half Dutch, I'm not sure how this reflects on me LOL ]
Old 09 April 2001, 11:34 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

Matt,

As I have a legendary navigator at my disposal any chance of meeting up with you lot before the ferry?

I'm on the 12.45 sailing you see...and we'll be playing catch up...ish...

Any meet planned before dover? I know a good spot wich is good for those coming from the Dartford tunnel M20, and the M25/M26 route...

Cheers,

Tim/Slooby
Old 09 April 2001, 11:45 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Those who are staying at my place ie Squire and Askew, we shall be departing Northants around 5am to miss the traffic as you don't wanna be stuck in traffic around Luton in the RS200

Should be a good laugh as we can stop for some breakfast.
Old 10 April 2001, 02:07 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Stef you pleb, you try driving a Car that overheats like a bitch and has a clutch that only an elephant can press in Rush Hour Traffic! Least we can now get there real early and stop off on the way to watch the sunrise oh and have some breakfast

Old 10 April 2001, 10:10 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

harj,

You're a bloody insomniac! What time do you call that last post. Are we going to meet up on the M20 at the service station. It's been suggested that this is the best place to meet, because people will have cleared the M25 regardless of whether they have come clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions (Tim?)

See you all Thursday,

Matt
Old 10 April 2001, 10:20 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

If theres anyone with a nasty drive down from the North that needs a room on Wednesday night I will have space, located close to the M25, about 1hr from Dover.

See you all Thursday....

Jase
Old 10 April 2001, 10:52 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Who.... me

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mkhan:
<B>[Also, cruising speed will be approx. 90 mph.]

Surely some of you might want to open her up a little every now and then .....how about it James, a little bit of slip streaming wouldn't go a miss [/quote]

Old 10 April 2001, 12:21 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

5am???? Why???? It's only a 2 1/2 hr journey you muppet! What time's the crossing?

Stef.
Old 10 April 2001, 01:49 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

My meeting point suggestion isn't a service station, but there are several nearby even one Shell selling super unleaded

It's the Post House Hotel at Wrotham, directly under the M26 about 1/2 mile from where it meets the M20 (M26 links south loop of the M25 with M20 and only has one exit, before the M20, junction 2a).

If your coming from the Dartford Tunnel on the M20 you want exit 2 and need to follow the signs for Paddock Wood / Maidstone. Come off the motoroway, up the slip road to a roundabout turn right (3rd exit) down Wrotham hill 1/2 mile to another roundabout again right 3rd exit (back over the M20) 1/4 mile to another roundabout take the 2nd exit towards Paddock Wood (also sign posted M20 south) approx 3/4 mile to roundabout under the M26, you will need the outside lane to go straight on under the motorway and then take the road signposted to Paddock Wood and the hotel is on your left imediatel after the roundabout.

From the M26, come off at junction 2a, down the slip road to a roundabout and turning right under the motorway follow signs to Paddock Wood, the hotel is on the left just after you exit the roundabout and start traveling up the hill.

Any thoughts on times to meet up?

My mobile no. is 07956 319204

Tim/Slooby

Old 11 April 2001, 11:56 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Of course you.......

Any luck with those TA-200 or are we not bothering...

Cya tomorrow...

Mark
Old 11 April 2001, 09:16 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Got em.... picked them up today. They are a nice fetching shade of blue. You will need 3 AA batteries.

James.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mkhan:
<B>Of course you.......

Any luck with those TA-200 or are we not bothering...

Cya tomorrow...

Mark[/quote]