Notices
International International Meetings & Events

More Ring Help... Noise limits...

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 12:44 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've still got your standard back box, then bring that along, and if neccessary, I'll fit it for you on the day. Saying that, there are a few "tricks"; Take it to 3300/3400 instead of 3500, fit one of those crap chrome exhaust trims to the inside of the exit pipe of the exhaust, and make sure you are at a "steady state" on the revs, any wavering up and down of the revs adds quite a bit of noise.

Also they don't test everybody, make sure when you drive in that you don't rev the engine, drive around the paddock queitly etc., with so many people there, they may just miss you.

Bottom line is you'll be fine.
Old 10 April 2001, 12:52 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers, unfortunately I don't have it and the HKS is one of those awkward buggers that has a custom centre section that wond work with a standard box.

Will see about getting a crap exhaust trim though. Is that what the guy in the RS500 did last time?

Will also make sure I go for a coffee if I see metering equipment about

James.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul Wilson:
<B>If you've still got your standard back box, then bring that along, and if neccessary, I'll fit it for you on the day. [/quote]

[This message has been edited by James_Harvey (edited 10 April 2001).]
Old 10 April 2001, 10:57 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Anyone got any ideas on how to quieten a Hiper system? The ring has a noise limit of 100Db's at 3500 RPM. I clocked 98Db's with the std D/P last October. Now I have a Scoobysport pipe im worried about noise levels.

Any ideas?

See
Old 10 April 2001, 11:45 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

James

Did you clock 98Db's at 3500RPM?

At Goodwood last November a certain member of this board got through the sound test by securing a Heineken beer can (with perforations at the base) inside his Blitz BB (where the silencer would fit). All OK, passed the (stationary) sound test although the can shot out later on track

Sorry not much help - Just a last resort perhaps?

Rich.
Old 10 April 2001, 11:49 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... interesting

Yep, clocked 98Db at 3500RPM.

Trouble with the test at the ring is that they stand behind the car and take the reading whilst stationary. Its not a fly-by test
Old 10 April 2001, 01:50 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

The guy with the RS500 bought a rear silencer similar to a Cherry Bomb and bolted it into his tailpipe. You could go for that approach. Alternatively you could scarper whenever you see the noise testers out, not too often BTW. It's quite amusing watching them inspect 4.5" tailpipes and then looking around for the owner, from the very far side of the car park.

Apparently Heineken does refresh the exhausts that other beer cans can't reach. Not too many canned beers available in Nurburg so it may be worth stocking up on the Seacat.

Paul's advice about proceeding carefully away from the start gates is good too. There will probably only be one, or maybe two, random tests in the car park during Easter. Otherwise you will only get tested if you take the pi.....er, draw attention to yourself at the start gate
Old 10 April 2001, 01:56 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

James,

I just thought. I know someone with a Blitz system with a removable silencer that he probably won't need during Easter. If your tailpipe is 115mm in diameter it would fit beautifully. The only other things you would need are a 6mm or larger hole in the rear pipe to bolt it in and enough clear pipe to fit the full baffle in. Maybe 18" for a 2.5" diameter. Unfortunately I would need to get my car back to go get this, but if my car's not available then my baffle is spare (identical to above) and is currently located in Botley (nowhere near me).
Old 10 April 2001, 01:57 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Wink

........old road rallying trick from a young road rallyer ..... get some brillo pads or preferably wire wool and poke it up the exhaust so the tester cant see it - instant baffle........make sure you have some forceps to remove it afterwards and make sure its up there firmly cos u dont want the noise tester to be wearing it if it fires out......

Old 10 April 2001, 02:58 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Talking

If I could borrow a baffle from someone that would be awesome

The Hiper has a 5" Exit and 3" pipework, so it should fit. There is a hole drilled in the exit to drain water. This could be used to fix the unit in place.

Could we make some arrangements? I am based near East London and work in Docklands.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tony Quinn:
<B>James,

I just thought. I know someone with a Blitz system with a removable silencer that he probably won't need during Easter. If your tailpipe is 115mm in diameter it would fit beautifully. The only other things you would need are a 6mm or larger hole in the rear pipe to bolt it in and enough clear pipe to fit the full baffle in. Maybe 18" for a 2.5" diameter. Unfortunately I would need to get my car back to go get this, but if my car's not available then my baffle is spare (identical to above) and is currently located in Botley (nowhere near me). [/quote]

Old 10 April 2001, 04:08 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

115mm is 4.5" so there will be a bit of a gap between the baffle and tailpipe. This would leave the baffle rattling about quite alot. We would need to drill another hole through your exhaust and the baffle to stop this. I have no idea how effective the baffle would be like this. It would help for sure but I don't know by how much. Anyone???

A neater solution would be to borrow an HKS item if anyone has one. I'll speak to my friend about borrowing/mutilating his. I also know some people with HKS exhausts of some description, I'll see whether any of them have something that I could blag for you.
Old 11 April 2001, 01:31 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

You think you lads have problems! Ive just fitted a new BPM Twister 3 and its seems to be 3 times louder than the Scoobysport System!!!

I think im gonna take the Scooby Sport backbox along just incase there are any probs or the Heineken Can could do the trick

Old 11 April 2001, 02:55 AM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey Harj,

If it works, don't knock it.

James,

can you confirm that the Hiper is 5" in diameter 'cos if it is I don't think that the Blitz baffle will work at all well. Too big a gap really. It is unlikely that you'll get any trouble out there from the noise testers because there are plenty of loud bikes to keep them busy so don't worry about it.
Old 11 April 2001, 09:10 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorted....

I just spent this afternoon putting the old downpipe back on. A pain in the ****, but I have been meaning to get the downpipe lagged and this seemed like a good a time as any.

So the pipe is off to be lagged and I don't need to fear the noise police... sorted

Thanks for the help guys....

James.