Visual Gauge - Tablet in car

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2012, 11:37 PM
GoldenMerc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visual Gauge - Tablet in car

Hi,

Well im wanting to add a tablet PC (Possibly a Nexus 7) Tablet into my classic 97 Impreza, Im wanting to put it directly infront of the passenger (where the airbag should be) and sort of engraved in there so it looks all neat etc, Was wondering if anyone knows how easy it would be to do all this, cost etc?
Ross
Old 23 August 2012, 02:31 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Might be worth waiting a month to see if Apple release an 8" iPad, wider choice of mounting options and apps. E.g. DashCommand will run at native resolution on an iPad, but will be a stretched out phone app on the Nexus. An alternative approach, if you've got a double din stereo, would be to to get a Pioneer AppRadio compatible head unit from about £260, and hook up an iPhone or android phone to it to use the built in 7" screen. DashCommand is app radio compatible, so you'd have the virtual gauges on the stereo instead of across in front of the passenger. You'd also be able to run sat nav and other apps, and it would be less likely to get nicked with the phone hiding in the glovebox. You even get an iPod touch to leave permanently in the car. I haven't tested this set up myself though.
Old 23 August 2012, 07:31 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

I have a carpc (made from an acer nettop in the glovebox) running xp, as the syvecs ecu has a great dash output part of its software, so i know that a 7" screen fits nicely into a double din space! an 8" screen is just slightly too wide.

Does this dashcommand app need an obd2 car? how does it connect to the port?

With the amount of plumbing and wiring i had to do, i can definately see the advantages of sticking in a tablet somewhere instead, and having this simply feed the origional stereo.
Old 23 August 2012, 12:17 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think your main issue will be that you have a 97. There are very limited devices that can read pre-2001 Subaru's via OBD. So the chances of a tablet app being able to do so are very very slim. Unless you can create your own apps using Subaru Select Monitor.
Old 23 August 2012, 01:28 PM
GoldenMerc
Scooby Regular

I currently have a pioneer 3200bt for my headunit, so was wanting to get a tablet to go infront of the passenger on the dash sort of, so i cant do it because my cars age is that correct?
Old 23 August 2012, 01:30 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

get a syvecs and a toucan jobs a fish
Old 23 August 2012, 10:03 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenMerc
I currently have a pioneer 3200bt for my headunit, so was wanting to get a tablet to go infront of the passenger on the dash sort of, so i cant do it because my cars age is that correct?
You can't do it with a wireless OBD connector and a tablet running android/IOS. Maybe a wired connection to a tablet running windows, or the other suggestions on here.
Old 10 September 2012, 11:52 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
I have a carpc (made from an acer nettop in the glovebox) running xp, as the syvecs ecu has a great dash output part of its software, so i know that a 7" screen fits nicely into a double din space! an 8" screen is just slightly too wide.

Does this dashcommand app need an obd2 car? how does it connect to the port?

With the amount of plumbing and wiring i had to do, i can definately see the advantages of sticking in a tablet somewhere instead, and having this simply feed the origional stereo.
any pics? thinking about a tablet in my car, solely for the syvecs software, and being able to tweak map etc. turn off trips etc. if need be on the fly when laptop aint there, would be more useful than toucan for me.