Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Putting WR1 wheel in a bug WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2012, 01:01 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting WR1 wheel in a bug WRX

Managing to confuse myself so taking a few minutes away, in hope of finding the answer.

On suggestion in another thread it was mentioned that you can change over the airbag charge from WRX to STI wheel, but they are different in size.

1st question which may solve my problem is can you take out the white clip that goes in the back of the WRX charge and is it the same as the one in the STI wheel, had a wiggle of it and it seems in there pretty tight.

If not i need to look at the clock spring, now the 2 of these are completely different. The WRX one has one connector at the top and the STI has 3, also the WRX one has two cables coming from the bottom on one side where the STI one has 3.

So slightly confused if it does become a case of changing over clocksprings, i'm not electricaly minded in any way so if you have any suggestions in there simplest form would be of great benefit.

Bug WRX Charge

STI charge

Bug WRX clockspring

STI clockspring

STI connectors

ON the STI connector the is a black cable from each side of the spring going into the one connector.
Old 03 April 2012, 01:05 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Also the horn cable on the bug wheel connects into the white connector but only has one cable which matches the one from the STI wheel, both are green with red stripe.

What is the purpose of the other cables.
Old 03 April 2012, 03:57 PM
scoobydoo rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 95turbowagon
Also the horn cable on the bug wheel connects into the white connector but only has one cable which matches the one from the STI wheel, both are green with red stripe.

What is the purpose of the other cables.
Hi, i fitted in the new ring that goes with the wheel, the plugs on the end are the same but different at the wheel end, you also have to cut some of the foam from the back of the plastic steering column housing to fit it.
Hard to describe but hope it helps
Cheers
Rob
Old 03 April 2012, 05:24 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydoo rob
Hi, i fitted in the new ring that goes with the wheel, the plugs on the end are the same but different at the wheel end, you also have to cut some of the foam from the back of the plastic steering column housing to fit it.
Hard to describe but hope it helps
Cheers
Rob
Managed to sort it, only bit I needed to modify was the clockspring as it wouldn't line up with the white plastic bit over the indicators, it now all works including the indicator cancelling.

Bit daunting when you take it all apart in fear of screwing something up but pretty easy in the end.
Old 03 April 2012, 07:02 PM
scoobydoo rob
Scooby Regular

Managed to sort it, only bit I needed to modify was the clockspring as it wouldn't line up with the white plastic bit over the indicators, it now all works including the indicator cancelling.

Bit daunting when you take it all apart in fear of screwing something up but pretty easy in the end.

Nice one glad ya sorted it!
Old 03 April 2012, 09:15 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Top stuff mate, you have for to love that feeling when you finally get it sorted