Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

mounting ipad into classic?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2012, 10:33 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting ipad into classic?

i got an ipad2 over christmas and thinking it would make a pretty awesome tomtom due to the display size, is there any good mount available?

i looked at the brodit mounts and whilst expensive (!) they look rather static which isn't a big deal but its a bit unclear if you can take the ipad+bracket off the clip so that is only the thing left or if you're only allowed to take the ipad out, leaving the whole mounting system in place..

plus the site is so confusing, they have 3+ different center console mounting clips that go over the center air vents and they seem to be the same??!

my criteria is (in order of importance):

1) must be discreet, don't want to make my scooby more of a target than it has to be so ideally i'd prefer if it can be folder/tucked away in a cubby hole or somewhere, easily so no fiddly unscrewing to remove mounts etc!

2) positioning, prefer it mounted at the top (near the top cubby hole is ideal, massive bonus if the bracket/mount can be folded away in there when the lid closed) as i don't want my focus to go down to the gear stick area when referring to the tomtom.

whilst i like the idea of it being mounted on the passenger side on some sort of repositionable arm, i'd rather them not get a face full of ipad instead of airbag in an accident so the bracket/arm must not be bulky.

3) flexibility, if its one of those mounts with an arm, it can be clamped to somewhere less obious and can be rotatated so when its not in use, its sitting neatly on the side of the gearbox housing and out of sight. so when its just me, i can rotate it so its sitting at an angle and when i have a passenger, i position it in front of the center console instead.