Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

PTF tape for oil pressure and oil temp (Gauges)

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2008, 09:14 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PTFE tape for oil pressure and oil temp? (Gauges)

Hi,

Just in the process of fitting gauges (as it seems everyone else is).

Just onto fitting the oil pressure with the braided cable adapter from scoobyparts (fits under alternator), and then the Oil Temp adapter near no3 Cylinder.

Now ive read lots of stuff and it there seems to be no dominant opinion of where to use PTFE tape on the threads. As it seems this stops earthing.

Now ive never fitted them before, so im sorry this this is a silly questions.

Ideally i should use PTFE tape on every thread there is. Was just after some advice.

Any pics of your fitting of them would be nice too.

Last edited by scoobyc; 26 December 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Spelling Retard
Old 26 December 2008, 11:05 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PTFE tape gets mangled by the threads, so no problem with earthing unless you wrap it round a dozen times.... three "turns" was enough for me, but my 2nd hand Defi oil pressure sensor did leak for a day or so after fitting.

Not on fitting mind you, NO it waited till the following day out on a club run....

No - LOL

dunx
Old 27 December 2008, 01:40 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Hmm. I have the tpiece..It looks like the big metal chunky end should be out the top of the engine, with the tail into the original hole. I want to keep the original sensor plugged in. Will the big metal bit fit below the alternator?

Btw the alternator doesnt "move out the way" like all the manuals say. had to remove it totally for the first time in about 10 years it seems!

So yeah. SHould i fit the 2 ported metal chunk under the alternator or not? And put the old sensor in the metal chunk at the top without the wire being connected?
Old 27 December 2008, 04:41 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob

Btw the alternator doesnt "move out the way" like all the manuals say. had to remove it totally for the first time in about 10 years it seems!
If you back off the tension you should be able to remove the belt, then swing the alt across.

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob
So yeah. SHould i fit the 2 ported metal chunk under the alternator or not? And put the old sensor in the metal chunk at the top without the wire being connected?
Why use that adaptor if the OE wiring won't fit? Why not just screw the sender in where the OE switch came out?

I suppose you COULD extend the OE wiring if you wanted, with another male spade and a female, a length of wire and some electrician's tape, but I can't see the point of using an adpator to put the OE switch in place unless it's going to be connected?
Old 27 December 2008, 04:46 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

decided to just not wire the original one in.

The bolt through my alt seems to be thought a major moulding which cannot be removed limiting the swing of my alternator only to the point where it would be max tension. Didnt take too long to pull off instead. I got loads of pics of what where and why.

Cheers for the advice.