This the right place for the Oil Temp Sender

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2008, 03:17 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This the right place for the Oil Temp Sender

Hi.

Can someone please tell me if this the right place for my Oil Temp Sender to go (in the adapter).

The silver bit on the left goes to the turbo. This is at the back left of the engine, looking at it from the front.

Shall i PTFE the threads or will they hold without. Dont wanna risk destroying the thread like the oil pressure adapater.

After some reassurance.

This is the first time ive done anything like this and ill be posting up all what happened when its done.

Old 27 December 2008, 03:21 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Also note there are a few black pipes in the way of it. i was hoping to just work around them with a nice long socket as removing them looks like a git. Where abouts is this going into? Is this going to have to cope with high pressure? Its going to be very hard to notice any leaks from this!

Also it seems my sender which fits in the adapter has a tapered thread. so it doesnt use all the thread, just gets to tight and then will shear if too much. Advisable to use ptfe tape again on these joints. Anyone does all these connections without ptfe tape?
Old 27 December 2008, 04:37 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks right, it has, (should have), a threaded blanking plate with an 8mm hex in the top.

When I did mine, I used PTFE tape on both threads, the adaptor and the sender. I also inserted the adaptor first, by LIGHTLY screwing a plastic pen barrel into it's threads as I just COULD NOT get my hand down to insert it. The pen barrel allowed me to insert it and start the threads, then, gently rocking it and unscrewing, left the adaptor in place to be tightened with a socket
Old 27 December 2008, 05:02 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

As you can see there is no room whatso ever to get at it even with the intercooler removed.

The main problem is the black pipe which plugs into a black T just under the silver bit to the turbo. What does this pipe do? It doesnt have a jubilee clip on it, and its rock solid.

Can/shall i remove this pipe to allow better access? (pipe in green. Hole in red)

These pics are top down from the driver side. I.e. front of car is on the right. rear of car is on the left.

Last edited by scoobyc; 27 December 2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 27 December 2008, 07:15 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Right. I decided the green pipe was ok to remove. Looks like it went into the turbo so couldnt be oil/water pipe. Also was solid so thinking something to do with air pressure. It also fed into the manifold.

Removed that pipe and managed to get the plug in nice and tight

then managed to get the sender into the plug adapter. Was a real git this one, had to use a 12mm spanner at a massive angle going 1/16th of a turn at a time. Its now semi tight. Tight enough to hold a pressure as the sender has a tapered thread i dont want to go any further. If it starts leaking then i will.

Getting the intercooler back on was a real pain. Esp the hose at the bottom. Then decided to lube them up and bang. It went straight on. 15min of struggle for just a little bit of oil!.

The oil Temp is now all wired in. Gauge works but registereds nothing yet. I still have the alternator and associated wires/oil pressure sender off so cant start engine yet.

I guess ill only see if the temp works when i get the pressure fitted and start the engine. Really hoping they dont leak. Although i should be able to do this job in a fraction of the time if i had to do it agani i rekon. Also for anyone to not. THe green pipe pulls easily off the intake manifold too to get it totally out the way. No jubilee clips on either end.

JUst gotta wait for my new t-piece now for the oil pressure sender. Wire that up. Fit the dash pod with wired in gauges, reassemble dash. And away we go to find non of them work and it has to be all done again!.