Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Gauges mechanical or electrical

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2008, 09:40 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauges mechanical or electrical

Looking at buying some gauges for an early WRX and as title not sure to buy either electrical or mechanical.
Looking at oil/temp,pressure and possibly an AFR
Old 08 December 2008, 01:20 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No boost gauge?

The difference between electrical and mechanical gauges is that in electrical ones, the "signal" (pressure, temperature etc), is converted to an electrical impulse by the sender which is simply connected to the gauge by a wire, sometimes a pair. The gauge is just a little voltmeter/ammeter which is calibrated in Bar, degrees C etc.

Mechanical gauges generally have pipework going to the gauge, which DIRECTLY reads the pressure, temperature etc.

Most folk tend to go for electrical nowadays, sice it's far easier running wires than often stiff pipework through a crowded engine compartment, and even more crowded under-dash

Also, with wires, you don't have the possible problem of hot pressurised oil inside the car in the event of a problem
Old 08 December 2008, 01:41 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Electrical everytime.
I have DEFI's, although you can get electrical gauges for a quarter of the price of DEFI's. They are so much easier to install, and as mentioned, safer.
Old 08 December 2008, 03:50 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

Electrical all the way, so simple to install even a numpty like me managed it
Old 08 December 2008, 10:00 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
No boost gauge?

The difference between electrical and mechanical gauges is that in electrical ones, the "signal" (pressure, temperature etc), is converted to an electrical impulse by the sender which is simply connected to the gauge by a wire, sometimes a pair. The gauge is just a little voltmeter/ammeter which is calibrated in Bar, degrees C etc.

Mechanical gauges generally have pipework going to the gauge, which DIRECTLY reads the pressure, temperature etc.

Most folk tend to go for electrical nowadays, sice it's far easier running wires than often stiff pipework through a crowded engine compartment, and even more crowded under-dash

Also, with wires, you don't have the possible problem of hot pressurised oil inside the car in the event of a problem
Already have a boost gauge
As for your last point that's what i was getting to in a roundabout way
cheers peeps
Old 12 December 2008, 08:22 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Electrical, not sure i'd want hot oil anywhere near my face!
Old 16 December 2008, 08:05 AM
Mr_Lizard
Scooby Newbie

I'm just fitting a boost gauge to my 98 wagon wrx, but am not sure where to put the T-Piece.. The car is new to me, but I recognise that someone has replaced the standard boost actuator solenoid with some kind of adjustable arcticle so need to get a guage on asap to see what they have done with it.
Am I right in saying I need to "T" into the pipe which goes to the factory dump valve?
If so, where is it located? has anyone got a pic handy? is it under the intercooler?
I've got a chap coming to fit me a clifford alarm in about half an hour so wanted to do it while he is here so he can wire up the lighting to my gauge.
Any response would be gratefully appreciated. :O)

I'll put some piccies up later :O)

Chris.
Old 16 December 2008, 01:45 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Hope this is not too late for you.

The easiest way to fit a boost gauge to that car is to look for the blanked off spigot on the right, (n/s) front of the block as you look at it from the radiator end. It's covered with a rubber sleeve. Pull that off and put the pipe to the boost gauge/boost gauge sender over it instead.
Old 16 December 2008, 06:34 PM
Mr_Lizard
Scooby Newbie

Nice one! Thanks for that.. So that is just a spare one which is blanked off?

Guage is working nicely... Although is it normal that it should make a ticking noise on idle and more noise when on boost? It seems accurate I think, so is it just the air pressure making noises while propelling the gauge needle?

(i ended up having to get a £20 Gauge quickly from Halfords as my Autometer Pro Comp was 60mm and the A Pillar pod I'd ordered was only a 52mm - I'm going to try and acquire a 60mm pod and swap it over.. I've looked on scoobyparts.com but they only do a 52mm.. Does anyone know where I can get a 60mm one? Without breaking the bank too much).

Pics to follow...
Old 16 December 2008, 06:45 PM
Mr_Lizard
Scooby Newbie

Here is a pic of what I believe to be an aftermarket boost controller? You can see it with a screw head on top, next to what I thought was the standard solenoid? So I'm worried that someone has installed it and turned it right up. What PSI should my standard 1998 WRX Wagon be pushing approx.?

The model name seems faded, but it has "1FCR6" on it. Can anyone confirm?

This may be a better pic?.. It's got a Gold colour filter looking part off the side (pointing towards the air-box)

Also, a couple of the engine bay (with and without flash) I'll post some of new boost gauge later & try to video the sound it makes...

On the whole I think it's very tidy... I occasionally get a squeeky belt, not sure which one tho! They all seem like new and I wouldn't think they have been on too long.

Last edited by Mr_Lizard; 16 December 2008 at 07:12 PM.