Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Lockwood White Dials - Do U need to remove needles

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2002, 10:36 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the new Lockwood design was such that the needles didn't need to be removed ?

Just found a set at a good price here http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/lockwood.htm

But they state the needles have to be removed....
Old 24 January 2002, 11:11 PM
WRXsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Scott,

I have just fitted a dash kit. Seemed to go well until I realised my rev counter was broken. Bought another today which now works fine. This is not an easy job, just be very very gentle with the needles (don't try to remove the fuel or temp they must be cut out). I removed the fuel and temp gauges then heated up a knife which melted through the plastic therefore removing the risk of damaging the needles. Looks great now!

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 25 January 2002, 05:23 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've dealt with a number of different cars dashes and would say that it works as follows -

If your car only has backlighting, you'll need to remove the old dial face to replace with the new one which in most cases means removal of the needles.

If you have some form of top or side lighting, you can forgo the need to backlight and so dont need to remove the originals, which means that if the needles don't have too much 'overhang' you can slide the new dial faces under and over the needles and into place without removing the needles.

The early scoobs (up to '97) have some toplighting which can be made bright enough, with stronger wattage bulbs, to sufficiently light the dial faces for night driving. I can't recall the 'overhang' of the needles but I would imagine replacement dial faces can be made removing the need to fiddle with the needles.

Check out my site and email me if you have any questions, it's what I do
Old 26 January 2002, 12:04 AM
sasim
Used to work here!!

With the newer Lockwood dial kits you still need to remove the needles for the Speedo and Rev counter, a bit of gentle heat and lever them off by using 2 spoons. The old fuel and temp dials need to be cut off (do NOT try to remove these needles) and the new ones slide into position.

This was on a MY96 but I'm pretty sure the other models are the same. Give me a shout if you need any more info, I took pictures as I did it.

Stuart
Old 02 February 2002, 03:23 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Ok ignoramus mode on then:
What's the crack with the 2 spoons technique then? I'm in the process of ordering the dials but im a little intreged with getting the bad boys applied on arrival. From the pix http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/imag...ics/subaru.jpg & your comments it seems the fuel & temp gauges need to be butchered off with a blade or such like & then the new uns slipped over the needles? The holes look fairly big on the pikky so i take it this is feasible? So now all i need to know, if yer feeling like explaining in simpleton language how i might prise the needles off da rev & speedo with spoons & heat? so i can remove boring black uns & slip in the funky new uns?
Go on u no u wana tell me
Cheers
Si
Edited kuz like i said im simple!

[Edited by scooby_si - 2/2/2002 3:25:47 PM]
Old 02 February 2002, 05:40 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Place the back of 2 teaspoons either side of the needle spindle and lift the needles off. Best to warm them up a bit with a hair dryer tho' as it makes it a bit easier.

Lockwood do supply some instructions with the dials....
Old 02 February 2002, 06:32 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers 4 that don't sound too hard, q me breakin suminu mean i gota buy a hairdryer as well as dials god damn it! lmao.
Si
Old 03 February 2002, 03:52 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Smile

Anyway, why bother with boring old white dials when there's so much else out there. How about these copper babies

I think I'm going to get told off soon
Old 03 February 2002, 04:11 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Talking

MOOK strikes lol suprised it took u so long
So just to go other this again to confirm the specifics, yawn i no, it's basically just a case of hacking off the fuel & temp bits then slipping on the new & improved uns, copper or whatever & with the rev & mph u need to heat up the actual needle with a dryer then basically lever off with a pair of spoons. Swap da dials & push the needles back on without any problems?
If this all works do we get a NVQ in dial removal or sumin?
Si
Old 03 February 2002, 05:12 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

*lol* the speedo and rev counter have little pegs which hold the needles at 0 - you'll need to gently bend the needle up and over the pegs to see where they rest naturally. This is where you have to reapply the needles and slip them back over the pegs again. This is the most important bit as otherwise the readings will be out. Also, another tip, before putting the speedo cable back in on the rear of the cluster, pop a wedge of grease in the fitting, this will help prevent the speedo needle from 'jumping' about as you drive along
Old 08 February 2002, 07:21 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey there mook dumb *** mode on again, any preference of grease or just any lube that's going?
Ta
Si
Old 08 February 2002, 09:02 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

told 2day that i could use vaseline, oh er misses. How'd he no i had sum? Anyway guna try installation this weekend & have nicked the camera from work so may post how 2 or how not 2 install white dials, depending on how it goes. Watch this space.....................................
Si
Old 08 February 2002, 11:16 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

hehe, yeah, any lube would do, so long as it's nice and thick - just need it to damp the cable movement for smoothness. Good luck, get some pics sorted
Old 09 February 2002, 03:50 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Ok gettign a bit tricky now i've got 2 the stage where the screws have been removed from the dial housing so it is free to more in the dash. However i cant get it to move out of the dash or lay it on it's front or back due to the various bits of plastic in the way so i can't get to the cables or wotever at the back that need 2 b detached before the hole thing can kum out HELP how the bloody hell do i get it out or wotever, i didnt wana yank it too hard incase it did sumin i didnt want it 2 But while i took pictures i cant develope em till monday but i'll try & explain it the 2 metal bits which held the screws in at the top cannot move around or behind wot they screw into so i cant flip it backwards & while i can move em forwards not enough 2 even c behind or allow the hole lot 2 kum out untill the wires or wotever @ the back resist! Bugger im stuck.
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP
Please
Si
Old 10 February 2002, 04:20 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

OK HELP round 2. Got all the dials sorted out after following the give it a good yank technique
However, oh god here we go....... on trying 2 refit it one of the bleeding screws fell down the inside bugger
a) does this mean i'm guna have a rattle? & if so i guess it's a laborious process getting such items out?
b) where can u get scooby screws kuz halfords or motorworld didn't have the right size so i may try midland impreza 2moz as they only but a few streets away from me which is a bonus i guess?
Shyte also the top 2 screws that hold the cluster in place the left one now has seemingly not got anything to screw in2 (bugger sumin else 2 rattle?) so is currently held in by one screw at the top right & 1 in the bottom left.
I'm a screw loose well 2 screws absent more like, er shud b ok 4 now i guess, & hope, but any pearls of wisdom 4 Mr fek up wood b greatfully received
Si
Old 11 February 2002, 06:21 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Right i have a couple of new points, thoughts & presumptions?:
Still gota sort me sum proper screws out & the spring clips 2 screw into but that's work in progress hopefully..... But the fact is the only problem i have is me rev counter not moving as it should. My first thought was that i'd just shoved the needle on too far which may still be the case but it did pass the flicking technique which leads me 2 my next thought: Could these be caused by the adding of the greese as when playing with the connections i didn't fancy lubeing the 2 side connections kuz of all the electric connections which i figured that may adversly effect? However i had already lubbed the middle connection which coincidentally plugs in right behind the rev dial! Just a thought as it was commented 2 me as 2 why the scoob wood need any greese being so electrically based so i just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this issue? It's all gota kum out anyhow 2 sort that slight issue so any ideas & cunning plans 4 lube removal?
Si
Old 11 February 2002, 06:57 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

I can't understand why you need to use any grease on an Impreza as thse speedo is electronic, I think that Mook was probably refering to other cars that have a cable driven speedo.

Si, make sure that the rev needle can be moved round it's full range without sticking, and re-check that it's at the right settling point.

Stuart
Old 11 February 2002, 08:07 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

indeed i had done the flick test which now makes me think it was my stoopid adding of lube that is the problem.
Although please note the white dials look pucker Just hope i dont loose any more screws 2nd time round or it will be time 4 the staple gun, prit stik & sticky back plastic! lol
Si
Old 11 February 2002, 08:10 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

on that note cotton buds seem a cunning plan 4 lube removal i just wondered if degreasant may also aid the process?
Si
Old 11 February 2002, 08:19 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

I would keep fluids away from it
Old 11 February 2002, 08:57 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

yes probably a wise way 2 go
Old 13 February 2002, 06:40 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Scooby Si > I did indeed mean the cable driven speedo mechanism, which the early WRX imports have. Sorry if the misunderstanding has caused you grief
Old 02 June 2002, 08:12 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Talking

de ja vous i just asked this in a similar thread but anyhow in order 2 get at the dials, zzzzzzzz he's off again, is it just a case of following as per http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...d&threadid=143 or is there slight differences due 2 being a yank car? ie just unscrew & play with the various clips untill the dials r ready 4 me 2 attack!
Im greenlol but i dont wana
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 2/6/2002 8:14:09 PM]