Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Smiths gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2007, 04:30 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smiths gauges

When I bought my turbo 2000 it already had 3 gauges fitted. Battery, boost and oil pressure. The oil pressure doesnt work.

Anyway, I was thinking of replacing them but not sure how easy new ones are to wire up. I was thinking of an oil temp. How hard is this to do and should I get another smiths or a different brand?
Old 02 November 2007, 04:52 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

What gauges does everyone use and how easy are they to install?

Thanks.
Old 02 November 2007, 06:37 PM
postie90
Scooby Regular

most people on here have defi`s or prosport gauges as for fitting i aint a clue mate hope this helps a little....
Old 04 November 2007, 12:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Defis here, boost, oil temp and oil pressure.

I wouldn't describe 'em as a doddle to fit, a bit fiddly, but a long way from rocket science.

Old 17 December 2007, 11:40 AM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Defis here, boost, oil temp and oil pressure.

I wouldn't describe 'em as a doddle to fit, a bit fiddly, but a long way from rocket science.
Thanks. Can I ask, Where is the best place to fit the sensors for these guages? I have Oil Temp and Oil Pressure. If you could help at all that would be great
Old 17 December 2007, 11:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tommitchelldrum
Thanks. Can I ask, Where is the best place to fit the sensors for these guages? I have Oil Temp and Oil Pressure. If you could help at all that would be great
Can do.

The BEST places for the senders are as follows:

Oil Pressure: remove existing o/p SWITCH which is screwed into top of block just behind alternator. You have to swing the alternator out of the way to do it, but it's dead easy so long as you mark it's PRESENT position with a drop of tip-ex, white paint etc

Screw sender into the same tapping, discard o/p switch.

Oil temperature: There is a blanked-off tapping in the top of cylinder No 3 which is the rearmost cylinder, driver's side. the blanking plug has an 8mm socket in it, so you need a LONG 8mm Allen key. I removed my intercooler to make it easier to get at, but you CAN do it without.

You'll probably also need an adaptor, since the threads in the tapping aren't the same as those on most senders. My Defi one needed an adaptor. It came from Scoobymania, at around £8.

Have a look here too:chiark.co.uk

Alcazar
Old 17 December 2007, 12:26 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate!! Thats so helpful!!

So for the oil pressure I can just unplug what is currently there (under altenator) and not worry about plugging it back in?

Ill have a look at getting an adaptor. Cheers again!!

Trending Topics

Old 17 December 2007, 12:52 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah. For the oil pressure, the sender I have ordered doesnt cpome with any pipework to go under the altenator. What do I need? Is it similar to the oil temp do you think?
Old 17 December 2007, 12:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah. For the oil pressure, the sender I have ordered doesnt cpome with any pipework to go under the altenator. What do I need? Is it similar to the oil temp do you think?
Depends. Is it an electrical gauge, (has a wire between the sender and the gauge), or a mechanical one, (has a tube between sender and gauge)?

Oh, and yes, unscrew existing o/p SWITCH, screw in new o/p sender. Leave o/p switch on garage shelf.

Alcazar
Old 17 December 2007, 01:09 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

Ok, the gauge is electrical. It was wired up before but all the bits under the bonnet got ripped out by Subaru main dealer beacuse it was leaking oil going to piston sender!!! Grrr!

The sender I am getting has connection for one wire which I assume goes to the gauge, and has a connection on the other end for what looks to be a pipe, which I assume goes to under the altenator. Only thing is i dont have the pipe or the part that goes on the end.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 17 December 2007, 05:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The sender I am getting has connection for one wire which I assume goes to the gauge, and has a connection on the other end for what looks to be a pipe, which I assume goes to under the altenator. Only thing is i dont have the pipe or the part that goes on the end.

Hope that makes sense.
Not really: if it's electrical, what's it doing with a pipe? Can you post pics, at all?

Or contact Smiths or a dealer to find out what you SHOULD have, and also if it's available as a spare........no point in going any further if not

Alcazar
Old 17 December 2007, 07:40 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

ok ill get some photos up as soon as.

I dont mean the gauge has a pipe. The gauge has three spade terminals on the back. The sensor that I got has one spade terminal and a part to fit a pipe which I though should attach to the engine to get the feed.

I might just be being really thick
Old 18 December 2007, 08:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Seems odd, UNLESS it's like the defi boost gauge, which has a pipe connected to the inlet manifold to pick up the vacuum etc, then that feeds into a little box that changes the pressure readings into elctrical, and a wire from that connects to the gauge.

I've only ever seen two types of oil pressure or oil temperature sensor:

Electrical, in which a threaded sensor screws into the block, and a wire from it leads to the gauge.

Mechanical, in which a threaded adaptor screws into the block and a pipe/tube from it leads to the gauge.

Alcazar
Old 18 December 2007, 11:28 AM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

Ahh, I see.

So it may screw directly into the block. Ill sort out a photo today and post it up here. Thanks for all your help mate
Old 18 December 2007, 03:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ahh, I see.

So it may screw directly into the block. Ill sort out a photo today and post it up here. Thanks for all your help mate
No worries

Alcazar
Old 19 December 2007, 05:58 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

Right, have been doing a bit of research on the interweb to try and get some information on fitment. What i have is a Pressure Transductor which seems to take a mechanical input signal and send an electrical output signal to the gauge. This may just be Smiths version of what defi use for the boost gauge as you described alcazar. I think my question now is can i screw this pressure transductor straight into the block under the alt (probably with the aid of a thread adaptor) and if so what is the diameter of the sensor that it'll be replacing (just so i know what adaptor to order).

Sorry to barage with questions again but it will save me time and wasted effort moving the alt if you can remember this from when you did it...my instinct says about a 16mm?
Old 19 December 2007, 06:08 PM
Tommitchelldrum
Scooby Regular

I have just come accross this which may make installation a bit neater. Any thoughts? SUBARU ENGINE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE FITTING T-PIECE KIT on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-Dec-07 11:48:41 GMT)
Old 19 December 2007, 06:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not seen one in use, but I'd NOT bother since alls it allows you to do is use the existing o/p switch with the new gauge..........which, as I said before is daft, since the switch is now redundant.

Most o/p switches are the same, so I'd ASSUME your sender has the right threads to go straight into the engine block in place of the switch. Mine did.

In any case, it's only a 15 minute job at the most to move the alternator, unscrew the switch and screw in the sender. Figure in another minute if it doesn't fit. [BTW: wrap some PTFE tape around the sender threads before screwing it fully homeLooking at the base of the sender, (the bit that fits inside the engine), wrap tape clockwise.]

Or contact a carshop, and look at a switch to fit your car, compare it with the sender

Do you have the WIRING to go between the transducer and the gauge? Or an idea of how to fit it?

Alcazar
Old 19 December 2007, 08:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Don't assume it will fit, Demon Tweeks sell loads of adaptors with various threads.

Don't throw the std oil pressure switch away... more likely to notice the yellow light coming on than a needle on a gauge heading south.

DunxC
Old 20 December 2007, 11:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Don't assume it will fit, Demon Tweeks sell loads of adaptors with various threads.

Don't throw the std oil pressure switch away... more likely to notice the yellow light coming on than a needle on a gauge heading south.

DunxC
Can't comment on your first point, but the point I was trying to make is that the needle on the gauge gives you a dynamic readout, ie: it monitors the o/p at all times, so you keep an eye on it.

The yellow light? Once it's on, it's too late

My Defis have a preset warning light and buzzer too

Alcazar