Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Lockwood dials into pre facelift dash

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2007, 07:50 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockwood dials into pre facelift dash

Right then, just treated myself to a set of white mph dials to plonk into ye olde STi, after a nice cup of tea I've managed to just about read through and comprehend the fitting instructions...and I'm feeling fairly confident (famous last words) about fitting them myself.

Just wondered though, if anyone has fitted a set of these themselves, did you change the bulbs in the back of the unit at the same time? I've just heard it mentioned that the blue illumination on the Lockwood dials looks a bit dull with the standard bulbs in, and if I need to change them I'd rather just do it all at once rather than take it all to bits again at a later date to change the bulbs.

Right, time for another cup of tea I think

Cheers in advance!
Old 06 August 2007, 04:20 PM
daz_don1
Scooby Regular

i changed mine a while ago! and to be honest they were really easy to put in, just dont be to heavy handed.

when i did mine instead of gettin my hands up underneath the dash in the drivers footwell and disconnectin my speedo, i decided to just take bits out ere and there.

reassembled no speedo!! didnt no theres just enough speedo cable to stretch from gearbox and back of speedo

so just take your time and dont do what i did lol

cheers

Daz
Old 06 August 2007, 04:45 PM
Flix
Scooby Regular

Follow the instructions exactly, I lifted the needles over the stops and marked where they came to rest. The spoon trick worked a treat.
Be VERY careful when cutting off the fuel and temp cards, the needles are very delicate.
Take your time and you'll be fine.
Old 28 August 2007, 11:22 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Bit late in replying to this thread, thanks for the tips guys! Unfortunately I was a little bit too heavy handed with the engine temp guage and I have knackered it, but other than that the mission was a resounding success!
Old 30 August 2007, 09:28 PM
J200WRX
Scooby Regular

ive just fitted them too. im was also a wee bit heavy handed but on the fuel gauge which is worse in my opinion. whats even worse is i tried to glue it but the damn thing doesnt move now lol.
Old 31 August 2007, 10:04 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, glueing might not have been a good plan mate! On the plus side, at least I know its not just me thats made a bit of a ***** up with them!
Old 31 August 2007, 09:41 PM
nash_wrx
Scooby Regular

did same, also glued it it dont move the noo
Old 09 September 2007, 05:35 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Too late now but should've checked this out...
https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-1...tml?showfull=1
Old 09 September 2007, 05:39 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Disclaimer
1. Set aside a couple of hours, it can be done inside 15mins if you know what you are doing, just be patient, the job is very easy but can be a little fiddly.
2. I cannot be held responsible whatsoever for any liability with this process, the below are TIPS only and should be treated as suggestions and advice ONLY.
3. Please read the official Lockwood instructions as well as these.
Dash Removal
4. Note your SPEEDO/REV calibration, before I fitted mine 60MPH was roughly equivalent to 3000rpm in top gear.
5. Adjust steering wheel (if you have adjustment) so it is at its lowest setting, makes for easier access.
6. Unscrew cowling shroud and remove, two screws at the top and two at the bottom.
7. Unscrew main dash.
8. GENTLY lift forward, the speedo cable is just a push fit, so you can either pull till it releases or better still gain access underneath and gently pull from dash, you may have to unscrew the bottom plastic dash parts for easier SPEEDO cable access.
9. The left hand side of the dash will now pull easily towards you, undo the electrical connector on this side (LHS).
10. There are two electrical connectors on the far side (RHS), gently unclip these, the larger one is easier to remove if you slide a flat blade screwdriver under the retention clip.
11. Dash will now come out.
Removal of Existing Dials
12. Take dash indoors and place on clean workplace, take a break, take your time.
13. Unclip plastic cowl, be gentle and be patient and then remove black facia.
14. Note SPEEDO “zero” should be around 0MPH  sometimes when calibrating you MAY have to zero at -5MPH or so.
15. GENTLY lift REV pointer over stop anticlockwise and mark “rest” position with a pencil on the white plastic, tap on the side of the plastic dash gently to get an accurate reading, usually this is around 200degrees or so, (top is 0deg, bottom is 180deg).
16. Now the clever bit, to remove the SPEEDO and REV dials use two teaspoons, hold as normal and put the top of the spoon (the bit where the sugar normally goes ;-)) under the pointer, do the same with the other spoon but 180degrees opposite.
17. Push GENTLY down on the spoon handles, pointers will come off.
18. There is a 10% chance the pointers will not come off, don’t force it, use a hairdryer to heat gently and have another go. If you pull the centre spindle out with the pointer the dial is wrecked  BE VERY CAREFUL.
Time Consuming Bit
19. The FUEL and TEMP pointers CANNOT be removed, don’t even attempt it…
20. The trick here is to cut the old black facia off using a very sharp blade gradually cutting. This is the most time consuming part, if it takes two hours each one then so be it, just don’t slip or you may cut yourself and/or wreck the dial.
Fitting of Lockwood Dials
21. Wash hands thoroughly and dry. White dials show up dirt! If you do get muck on them clean with soapy water only, they do scrub up well, don’t rub too hard though.
22. Easy bit now, replace all dials and don’t forget the black blanking parts for the FUEL and TEMP dials, matt side up.
23. Replace pointers on SPEEDO and REV dials noting calibration points, don’t push too hard though!
24. You may have to glue the REV “zero stop” in using a small amount of araldite rapid as usually the lockwood hole is slightly larger.
25. Fitting as they say is the reverse of removal 
Fitting Back Into Dash
26. Best to fit SPEEDO cable on after the dash has been screwed back on, this is done from underneath, just line up and push on.
27. Give it a test drive, you may have to “adjust” the pointers for total accuracy, normally first attempt is good enough.
28. Make yourself a cuppa and give yourself a “pat on the back”. Your dash will look really smart, especially at night and you would have saved yourself £75-£100 or so fitting charge!
Old 15 December 2007, 01:27 PM
andy8301
Scooby Regular

Gently Gently SNAP! Now i need a new fuel gauge

Any one know where is the best place to buy a new one? Its for a 1993 WRX import
Old 28 December 2007, 11:47 AM
HOOPS78
Scooby Regular

done mine last weekend managed to snap the fuel gauge needle got a replacement but the amont of fuel is not the same so how do i change this so i get the correct fuel reading for my car or does it just hold the last reading then reset

any help would be grt

Last edited by HOOPS78; 28 December 2007 at 12:01 PM.