Boost Gauge Reading Questions

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2001, 02:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Just had a defi boost gauge installed last weekend and just wanted to check if a few things were normal.....

On idle from cold it sits at 200mmHg and then idle from warm its 400mmHG - does that sound about right?

On "making progress" it hits about 1.05 kgf/cm2 consistently peak (but has hit 1.1 or 1.15), seems to hold around 0.9 on the gauge. Sound ok?

Car is a MY99, except for a full decat magnex exhaust but nothing else.

If I'm stationary in neutral and rev the car the boost gauge does not read above the mmHg measurements, e.g needle doesn't go up showing the turbo boosting to 0.9/1.0 or whatever - is that normal?

Also after the boost has hit peak and drops down a bit the needle seems to fluctuate quite a bit, not showing a steady reading all/most of the time - is that right too? Could this be caused by the downpipe being twin dump?

Thanks for any help/advice

Cheers
Neil
Old 19 December 2001, 01:01 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Neil, I had my Defi boost gauge fitted immediately after your car was done Elvis had a busy morning!

Yes, everything you describe is entirely normal. Down pipe has nothing to do with it.

Boost levels are related to load, not revs, which is why you're not seeing positive figures blipping the throttle in neutral. Try this - put car in gear with handbrake on, feed in the clutch and give it some gas. You'll get positive figures then.

Judging by the other boost thread on here, your levels sound okay. Mine are a bit higher but I've got a PPP.

Richard.

PS Why has you car only got one cooling fan? Are all MY99s like that? Just curious
Old 19 December 2001, 02:23 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cheers Richard - you've put my mind at rest

Except about the fan that is Haven't got a clue mate? AFAIK my car is how it came from Subaru.......(besides - what was you doing rummaging around my engine bay )

Yep - Elvis had a busy day How did you have your gauge mounted, which pod?
Gotta go back again this w/e as the brakes I had fitted are wobbling like a good un , Marks gonna replace em.
I knew Simon was there that day, but didn't see him, didn't find out until after I got home that you were there too or I'd have said hello.....

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 12/19/2001 2:24:38 PM]
Old 19 December 2001, 07:09 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Neil, couldn't resist a little rumage under yer bonnet Oh, and I loosened your sump nut, too. Just for your entertainment It should be ready to fall out any time now

My car is a UK00 and definitely has two fans, and I thought our cars were identical in the engine department. Oh well...

I've got a ScoobyMania A-pillar/dash pod, too. I thought it was going to look a bit odd stuck in the corner there, but it looks great and matches the dash perfectly. And the white Defi dials are as close as you could possibly get to the standard car instruments, at night as well

I couldn't help noticing that you've got the boost sender mounted horizontally on the distributer. Mine's mounted vertically (as per instructions) to the right-hand bolt which holds the throttle cable adjuster, just next to the alternator. Hardly free from heat or vibration, but it seems happy enough there. I wanted to put it on the suspension top, as per Chiark's web-site, but that either involves long lengths of piping or T-ing into one of the other pipes, and I didn't fancy either. I mailed Nick (Chiark) for his views anbd he thought it was fine, so that's where it's staying. Incidentally, he didn't know why the sender was supposed to be mounted with the hose pointing down, or what difference it would make. Anyone else know? Does it matter?

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 20 December 2001, 10:40 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

wondered why all the cars driving behind were skidding off the road Oh no - thats probably just my driving

I thought they were the same - I'll have a look in my mates MY99 RB5 tonight and see if its like mine.

My exact thoughts too about the defi gauge and the scoobymania pod, looks excellent and goes really well with whats already there

Boost sender horizontally mounted What does that mean then? No ideas mate - cars how it always has been since I got it and Elvis fitted everything for the gauge........???????? Is that the little T piece near the dump valve?
Old 27 December 2001, 05:26 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Maybe just me putting two and two together but is there a chance that the thing being mounted on it's side might be causing the 'wobbling' on steady boost, or do they all do that?

I've got an Autometer boost gauge, mechanical, and it's very smooth