Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Installing Lamco Subaru Dashtop gauge pod for 98-00

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2006, 02:10 PM
blacky555uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Lamco Subaru Dashtop gauge pod for 98-00

I recently have bought a secondhand Lamco triple gauge set and dashtop pod, all genuine Subaru stuff.

Issue is, had a look at fitting it, and it seems the tray part of the mini glovebox is the same part of plastic as the air vent surrounds. So do i have to cut this for it to fit?? Or is there a special part that can be ordered from Subaru?? As it defo wonät just sit on teh top, and there is no way for the wires to get thro, what so all you peeps do with the aftermarket pods and gauges???

Also, I tried to get this part off, but failed, anyone taken this part off, and how did they do it??? Want to look as I presume the wiring is all there anyway, just need to sort the sensors out and away i go???

Any help appriciated as I am keen to get these fitted
Old 14 June 2006, 09:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got a similar one, from Scoobymania, with three Defis, and it sits on TOP of the tray after you remove the lid.

It's held in place with two blobs of clear silicone, (invisible as it's underneath), but CAN be removed, (I know, I've had to do it twice.)

I can confirm that the tray is the same moulding as the front of the heater outlets. It comes off by removing the two screws in the tray, under covers, near the front, then grasp the tray by the catch and pull hard forwards and slightly up. Refitting is relatively easy.

My wiring comes in through a 1/4" hole in the rear of the tray, but as there's only one wire, (Defi daisy chain), it's easy.

Alcazar
Old 14 June 2006, 11:21 AM
blacky555uk
Scooby Regular

Hi Alcazar

Thanks for the reply.

Problem is my pod and dials look like they bolt onto the 2 scRew holes for the tray, and have a metal support. (I will get some pics at the weekend when i get home) So it looks like the bottom of the tray requires cutting out!!! But it also defo locates on the outer edge as well, so thats why I was wondering if there was a special Subaru part....

On gettting teh try and heater vent surround out I had a good go at being brutal with it the way you describeed but it only moved a bit, maybe have to try harder this time!!

Cheers
Old 15 June 2006, 12:15 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

The Lamco 3pod requires the tray be removed (a guess, as mine isn't there, I just had a hole in the top of the dash when I pottered around with my gauges).

I didn't know that the tray may be the same chunk of plastic as the center vents surround. Is it? Or do they clip/screw together?

Do you have any other gubbins to go with it? You may need oil temp, oil pressure, boost senders/sensors as well as the gauges.

J.
Old 15 June 2006, 12:40 PM
blacky555uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
The Lamco 3pod requires the tray be removed (a guess, as mine isn't there, I just had a hole in the top of the dash when I pottered around with my gauges).

I didn't know that the tray may be the same chunk of plastic as the center vents surround. Is it? Or do they clip/screw together?
Hmm, must be a different Subaru part then, as the tray is defo the same bit of plastic as the heater vent surrounds. Lokks like i may have to do a bit of "tweeking" to this part then

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Do you have any other gubbins to go with it? You may need oil temp, oil pressure, boost senders/sensors as well as the gauges.

J.

Only other thing I need is the oil pressure sender,spoke to Subaru regarding this. The boost is mechanical and just needs the vacuum hose, teh oil temp sender etc is all there.