Vacuum pipe on my96 ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2001, 11:26 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Mark,

What I did was, pull the existing pipe off the inlet and cut it about 6-8 inches from the end. you should have a T-piece with your boost gauge, connect the two cut halves onto the top piece of the T (either side) and refit the end of the original pipe back onto the inlet. Then stick your gauge pipe into the bottom of the T. All the pipes should fit snugly into the T piece.

To power the backlight - I mounted the pod on top of the dash just to the left of the instruments, angled towards me. You obviously need to draw power from something that comes on when you switch your lights on. I used the foglight switch which has two bulbs, one to say that the fogs are on, and one that lights up the little foglight logo when your sidelights are on.

I borrowed a multimeter and checked which two wires power this bulb. (with sidelights on check for 12V that disappears when sidelights switched off - just shove the meter probes into the back of the switch).

You could use basically anything that lights up when your sidelights are on, but I found that that was the easiest.

Just be careful, cos when it's up and running you have a tendency to look at it and not the road!

Happy boosting!

Rich
Old 26 March 2001, 08:17 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

Mine's a 96 uk and I connected it to the centre one though I was told that any one would do.

In case you didn't know, there's a grommet on the firewall near the turbo, just in front of where the driver sits, you can feed the pipe through there and it comes out just above your pedals, stick your head in the footwell and you'll see it.

Rich
Old 26 March 2001, 09:06 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks very much Rich,

I threaded it last night but didn't want to cut any pipes. Did you put in a t piece into the original pipe or refit a new one? Also if your's has a backlight, where are you powering it from?

Thanks,

Mark.

Old 26 March 2001, 11:40 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Question

Does anyone know which one of the pipes on the inlet manifold, I tie into, to fit the boost guage. I can probably work it out but was hoping for a quick answer. The setup is different on the 96 to the later models...

I know lazy ba***rd!

Mark.
Old 26 March 2001, 12:49 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks again Rich,

I didn't get a t-piece as I didn' buy it from new. I'll have to go and find one. Apart from that, im pretty confident now.

Let you know how I get on!

Mark.
Old 28 March 2001, 11:51 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

mmmm.Mark when I got the new BD the other day from SM it did not include a T thingy.

I am sure Halfords will have one for you

Let us know what you are boosting when you fit it

TC (MOE)
Old 29 March 2001, 07:30 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

No probs TC,

Power Engineering are sending me one FOC. Your email not working mate? Which DV are you using, im on the spend after the "cat" experience!

Mark.

Old 31 March 2001, 10:16 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted a GReddy boost gauge that I bought from Andy Hall and it was pretty simple.
I chose the pipe that has the disc shaped thing in the line close to the nearside inner wing and tapped that.
This shows me vaccum (at tickover and off boost) and normal boost readings the rest of the time, although I seem to remember reading on the bbs that there is a pipe you can tap that only shows you boost?

I now have 2 problems:

I don't know what boost (and vaccum) I should expect to see (STi4 with a VF24 if anyone should know) and, as Rich said, I keep looking at the gauge whilst trying to obtain maximum boost; not a particularly good combination!!!

Neil.