Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

MY94 Gator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2000, 01:53 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damnit! My last post went walkabouts..

Guys, I need to replace my cack MY94 gator and stick. Any ideas on how to circumvent the crap design Subaru managed to use in this year? Rubber just don't do it for me..

Emails preferred.

pilch
Old 25 April 2000, 04:03 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I think David Hendry Cars (www.dhcars.co.uk) do a leather gaitor with a brushed metal surround, and metal gear **** as a package.

A bit pricey at £75-ish, but looks better than the rubber thing!!!

Andy
Old 25 May 2000, 07:50 PM
Kevin Lowe
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Unfortunately David Hendry cars no longer stock this gear stick gaiter, nor any other!
Demon Tweeks list one in their catalogue, but when I wrang them they said that in fact they dont! Great help!!
Does anyone else know where I can get a new, preferably leather gear stick gaiter? with or without the chrome bottom ring.
Old 25 May 2000, 09:35 PM
rik.c
Scooby Regular

Cool

I remembered seeing just the thing your after, it was in LARKSPEED'S catalogue which they'll send out free, i think it was £50 phone LEEDS 01132643231 or they do a similar one in MOTECH which is £55 but has a ally surround phone WELLINGBOURGH 01933443390 hope this helps.
Old 26 May 2000, 12:36 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Not a problem mate, cos I have a 4dr saloon! My back seats are fixed. Also, I needed to drill the holes specifically for my car. I think I'm done convincing myself that you could NOT have made things easier for me! This reminds me of the bloody gator and gearknob again!
Old 26 May 2000, 09:42 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I found the delivery note from David Hendry Cars, and the leather gaitor with aluminium surround, along with a milled aluminium gear ****, actually cost £90!!! (and I paid it!!!)

I pick up my new car today, and it will not fit!! So if one of you gents want to make me an offer, it could be yours!

Oh the gear **** is threaded, rather than held in by three grub screws (ie Momo).

Cheers
Andy
Old 26 May 2000, 11:16 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Guys, I got mine from DH Cars, but it wqas the last one.

Andy: The reason why it cost £90 was because the gearknob came with it! Mine didn't as the last one went walkies.. I'm still after a decent alumium gearknob, but need either slotted quickshift or non-slotted gearknob! Oh, decisions decisions..

Changing the thread slightly, have any of you tried replacing the boot/seat backing with MDF to mount amps/bassboxes? Bloody hell, its quite a job! Took me 2 days. Nice effect though
Old 26 May 2000, 11:24 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Pilch,

You'll hate me for saying this, so don't listen.

I used to have a piece of MDF covering the rear of the seat to allow amps to mounted on it! As I'm selling the car, I removed all the stereo, including the MDF panel!

I've got different ideas for the new car, so I won't be needing a carpeted piece of MDF in the shape of the rear of the two seats!!!!

It will still allow the rear seats to fold down, but will allow not access to the boot (only a problem is you have a UK car!!)

Giveaway time!!! If anyone wants the carpeted MDF they are welcome to take it away as it's clogging up my garage!!!

Cheers
Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Tang (edited 26-05-2000).]
Old 26 May 2000, 02:31 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pilch,

how did you get on with trying source a new gear gaitor?
It's a pet hate for me too (that and the gross coloured cloth trim of std UK 95). So if you manage to find a cheap non-rubber replacement gaitor I'd love to know about it!

Cheers,

AndyP
Old 26 May 2000, 05:21 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Andyp,

Well, Andy Tang advised me to speak to David Hendry cars (see top of thread) but I got the last gaitor. I know places like GGR don't do them, so try the places rik.c recommended. You'll find that you need a special version with aluminium surround. I tried replacing with a generic gaitor and its crap! Andy Tang is still selling his gaitor...
Old 30 May 2000, 07:41 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Guys,

I was giving my car its annual scrub yesterday (all bloody day!) and found a 1 1/2" tear in the passenger door panel. Great.. Anyone know where I can source a replacement in that weird tigerstripe effect? Gotta be MY94!

Cheers, Pilch
Old 01 June 2000, 06:39 PM
Kevin Lowe
Scooby Newbie

Andy T

Do you still have the gear stick gaiter? If so do u know if it will fit my MY97?
And how much do you want for it?
My car has a quick shift, I cant see if that has a threaded **** (ooooer missus!) or a grub screw one, do you know??
Many thanks
Old 02 June 2000, 06:56 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

If you are using the standard Nardi gear ****, then it should be a threaded one. The best way to check is to unscrew it!!!

If it's a Prodrive/Subaru quickshift, then yes it will be a threaded ****!

Andy
Old 02 June 2000, 09:06 PM
Kevin Lowe
Scooby Newbie

Andy T
Thanks for the reply, I did try to unscrew my Nardi ****, (snigger) but it would'nt move.
It is a quickshift one so I guess I will just have to get brutal with it!
So, do you still have the gaiter to dispose of?
Old 04 June 2000, 07:51 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

A cheap way of getting rid of the rubber gaitor? Buy a ' universal ' leather gaitor with either elasticated or tie bottom skirt. Take off the rubber thing, and with a stanley knife cut off all but the bottom 2 concertinas. Re-fit this section of the rubber gaitor and put the replacement leather one on, fixing the bottom skirt over the bottom concertina on whats left of the rubber gaitor. 10 minute job, cost about £15-20.

Mark