Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

"safe" install of white dial kits?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2003, 06:08 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I keep reading thread where people have knackered/snapped needles when installing white dial kits. Is there a safe way to do this or is it just luck of the draw as to whether your needles come off easily or snap in your hands?

The kit I've got has two part petrol and temp guages, so needles don't need to come off. How about doing this for the Speed & Revs? I know you'll get a line - but if you touch it up with paint/tip-ex you might not see it. Is this worth a try - cos I don't want to snap my needles off!

Andy
Old 22 January 2003, 12:53 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

U may still have trouble with fuel & temp as many kill them hacking off old uns but if u take care remove from holding so u get good access & use nail clipper & small scissors shud b all good
The only safe way 2 remove the needles is 2 melt em off thus putting no stress on the spindle. If u can get a set of needles, cant b that hard but i had spare already from previously bust dial so cant comment. Many do 2 spoon technique without hitch but if i ever need 2 do again then soldering iron on the plastic needle is only way i'd go.
If u can get spare needles then theoretically easy
Si
PS ask away if i can help further?

[Edited by scooby_si - 1/22/2003 12:54:51 PM]
Old 02 February 2003, 10:45 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

The so called 'Safe Install' kits available aren't really all that - first off they aren't complete dial faces as the fuel/temp gauges have parts missing, and second, without removing the OE dial face, a new face will not backlight properly. For a proper dial kit with good lighting you do need to remove the old dial faces.

Here's a trick of the trade. You need to cut off the old dial faces with the needle still in tack - this is all four, not just fuel/temp. Once the old faces are removed you should then be able to get at the spindle with some long nosed pliers. You can then use these to hold the spindle safely while levering the needles off with the two teaspoons method, levering off the pliers. You've probably already sussed that it's a two person job - one on the pliers, the other on the tea spoons. You can then put the new dial faces on and replce the needles safely and have a pucka dial kit. It is a bit fiddly and tricky to do, but with a chum on hand, it's worth the effort. I know a customer with a Legacy who did this to good effect

Feel free to email me if you have any questions
Old 05 February 2003, 03:03 AM
velryba
Scooby Regular

when i did mine I used a hair drier to remove needles of rev and speed and cut off the temp and fuel dials.

Must say a easy job compare to what everyone said it would be.

Make a mark before you remove needles.
Old 05 February 2003, 07:05 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

There's always 1 Lucky sod
Si