Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Will a hatch steering wheel fit blobeye?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2020, 08:16 AM
Discover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a hatch steering wheel fit blobeye?

Hi
Does anyone know for sure whether a 2009 Hatch WRX will bolt onto a 2003 WRX Blobeye?
If so what other bits would I need to fit it?

I understand none of the buttons on the wheel would work, which is fine by me I just find the standard wheel in the blobeye too big and it's worns so want something bit smaller.

Any help be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04 October 2020, 11:27 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Litterally just posted this is a bugeye group but applies to blobeyes too, yes it will fit but you have to change the airbag charge, ​the problem is, does the airbag actually work as intended when you swap from a dual to single charge? No one actually knows as no one has tested it, I'd be willing but can't afford to buy the two types just to blow them up after swapping the charges lol
Old 04 October 2020, 04:56 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRtm
Litterally just posted this is a bugeye group but applies to blobeyes too, yes it will fit but you have to change the airbag charge, ​the problem is, does the airbag actually work as intended when you swap from a dual to single charge? No one actually knows as no one has tested it, I'd be willing but can't afford to buy the two types just to blow them up after swapping the charges lol

just swap the charge out ,, thats what I did ,, the airbag part comes out and can be swapped into the new wheel
Old 05 October 2020, 11:11 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
just swap the charge out ,, thats what I did ,, the airbag part comes out and can be swapped into the new wheel
Yeah but does the airbag still work as intended? There's plenty of guides on how to do it but no where I can find has it been confirmed that the airbag will still deploy properly, that's the only uncertainty.
Old 05 October 2020, 12:07 PM
Discover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but does the airbag still work as intended? There's plenty of guides on how to do it but no where I can find has it been confirmed that the airbag will still deploy properly, that's the only uncertainty.
I would really like to know the answer to this too.
Old 07 October 2020, 10:32 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

I've looked everywhere, there is no definitive answer as no one seems to have tested it, I would if I could afford to throw away money, maybe we should all petition one of the breakers to do a test for us haha
Old 09 October 2020, 06:48 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

why wouldn't it work as its the original charge from the car ???, , its the same design as the other bag just a different connection so can't see why it wouldn't work as intended
Old 16 October 2020, 05:13 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

As one would assume there's a reason they moved to a dual charge, such as the airbag being re/designed in a way that it needs a dual charge and wouldn't properly deploy with a single charge