Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

What is this ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2015, 07:18 PM
Jack rod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this ?

Please can somebody tell me what this is and the outcome if I cut the wire leading to it? I presume it's to do with the alarm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	19640  
Old 12 November 2015, 07:28 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Yep, Sigma alarm ultrasonic interior detection sensor.

Last edited by Don Clark; 12 November 2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: As it's on a hatch it's an S32 alarm not an M30
Old 12 November 2015, 07:31 PM
Jack rod
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks for that, I'm trying to install a different a pillar but this is mounted into my existing one and after following the cable back I've found it joins a big loom which will be a lot of work to trace. What would happen if I cut the wire and re made it afterwards?
Old 12 November 2015, 07:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's an ultra-sonic, basically it covers the interior of the car for glass breaking / movement inside, if you cut it then the interior isn't covered by the alarm.

It actually plugs into your alarm control box or a smaller ultrasonic control box, if you trace the wire back you'll find where it goes, just un-plug it, clip the ultra-sonic out of its holder on the pillar, unscrew the base and it should reveal a bigger hole that the clip can be threaded back through, so no need to cut it.

You don't really want to cut it as it has very fine 2 core wire inside thats a pain to re-connect without causing a short.

It will just be taped to the car loom to look like it's part of the cars wiring, just gently slice through the insulation tape that's holding it in place with a stanley knife, taking care not to cut into any wires and trace it back to the unit.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 12 November 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12 November 2015, 07:41 PM
Jack rod
Scooby Regular

If I do cut this will it make the alarm go off. The look it's part of is right up at the top of my dash underneath. So if I do find the alarm box I'll struggle to pull the cable back through without removing my dash. As for the a pillar there is only enough space for the cable to pass through the hole and nothing else.