Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Momo Mounting Boss K7310.....wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2015, 04:12 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Momo Mounting Boss K7310.....wtf?!

So the MOMO mounting boss K7310 - as sold pretty much everywhere, claims that it fits all year Subaru Impreza WRX and even has a resistor for cancelling the airbag......great.

One slight issue they forgot to mention....if your car is equipped with an airbag, the mounting boss won't physically fit! The hole in the boss designed to clear the horn switch is 20mm. Which is fine as the horn switch is only 18mm. However, if you have an airbag, you have an additional switch, which means you now need a hole 26mm.....

How the **** has this be sold for years when clearly it is not fit for purpose??

The only way I can get this to fit is to basically take a Dremel to the airbag switch, meaning that I'll never be able to refit the wheel with a working airbag. What ****ing nonsense.
Old 19 January 2015, 05:23 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gutted for you

Best to throw it in the bin and buy an nrg one

Steve
Old 19 January 2015, 05:33 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

It's a ****ing joke. Newage cars have been around for 13 years and yet they are still selling a product that doesn't fit. Mental.

Will have to see if I can grind away enough alloy for it to fit. Don't really want to chuck £60 in the bin.
Old 19 January 2015, 05:42 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Mk7306 seems to be the correct one. They fit all subarus but you need to find which are for airbags and non.
Old 19 January 2015, 05:46 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Mk7306 seems to be the correct one. They fit all subarus but you need to find which are for airbags and non.
Do you know for definite? The only difference between 7306 and 7310 appears to be that the latter comes with a resistor for the airbag. Which sadly, isn't the issue.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 19 January 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 19 January 2015, 05:58 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Do you know for definite? The only difference between 7306 and 7310 appears to be that the latter comes with a resistor for the airbag. Which sadly, isn't the issue.
Resistors don't come with owt, they just throw them in for easy fitment.
I have changed a few wheels and you do need to look out for airbag and non airbag wheels.
That was just a quick google search I found that.
You obviously have the incorrect boss regardless of they fit all.
Old 19 January 2015, 06:03 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Sorry after researching further, the one I listed is for non airbag. The airbag one is mk7310R
Old 19 January 2015, 06:08 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Manufacturer Part: MK7310R £50.50

Features
6 Mounting Holes with a PCD of 70mm
Comes with a resistor to turn off the airbag warning light

This particular Momo Boss Kit comes with a resistor to turn off the airbag warning light, so it is primarily designed for cars with airbags. If your car does not have an airbag, this resistor will not be required.

Manufacturer Part: MK7306 £46.20

Features
6 Mounting Holes with a PCD of 70mm
No Resistor

This particular Momo Boss Kit does NOT come with a resistor to turn off the airbag warning light, so it is primarily designed for cars without airbags. If your car does have an airbag, you will need to buy a resistor separately, otherwise your airbag warning light will be constantly illuminated.

So as my car does have an airbag, which is the correct one? Both state that they are for all years of Subaru Imprezas.
Old 19 January 2015, 06:10 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

As I say, the only difference is the resistor, hence the £4 difference in price.

Either will fit a non-airbag car. Neither will fit an airbag car. Resistor makes no difference to fitting.

Not sure whether to try and get my money back or see if I can mod it to fit. Annoying as I've just waited a month to have my wheel shipped over from the States.
Old 19 January 2015, 06:10 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

http://www.rallynuts.com/subaru-moto...-boss-kit.html
Old 19 January 2015, 06:12 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

That's the one I have. Stamped on the hub, definitely not mispackaged.

Miss-sold maybe....
Old 19 January 2015, 06:19 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Appears I'm not the first. See last post here.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ag-delete.html

I just don't get it though, they must have been making and selling these for 10+ years....how has no one realised that they don't fit??
Old 19 January 2015, 06:23 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I don't see the problem if it's just the plugs that won't fit through boss, it's only the horn plug you need throught the boss and if that won't fit then just extend some wires to it to horn.
The airbag plug, just fit a resistor init and tuck it away, it dosent need to come into boss.
As long as the boss sits onto main bolt for wheel the the rest is just using your inisutive.
Old 19 January 2015, 06:26 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Appears I'm not the first. See last post here.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ag-delete.html

I just don't get it though, they must have been making and selling these for 10+ years....how has no one realised that they don't fit??
Yes but if you see the last post, he's fitted it. Some car need a bit of modding of the wires, nothing's plug n play.
Old 19 January 2015, 07:19 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

They say a picture paints a thousand words.....

The black socket at the top of the clock spring contains a plug holder for both the horn socket/lead and the airbag. The Horn plug is 18mm. The hub kit has a cut out of 20mm, so that it will clear the horn plug and fit flush.

However, as this is an airbag car, it has an additional plug that connects to the airbag, measuring 8mm. Therefore a cut out of 26mm is required in the hub.

The horn plug can be remove from the socket. The airbag plug cannot. Furthermore, even if you could remove the airbag plug, you'd still be left with the socket that holds both the plugs, which is moulded into the clock-spring. It is not separate and cannot be removed.

Therefore the only way that you are going to get 26mm to fit into a 20mm hole is to remove the airbag plug (cut it off). Then cut the remaining part of the socket flush. Effectively turning the clock-spring into a non-airbag car. Quite what you are supposed to do with the resistor, now that you have cut off the plug that you are supposed to connect it to, is anyone's guess.

So once you've cut the clock-spring up and fitted the steering wheel, there is no way that you will ever be able to refit the stock steering wheel (or any other for that matter) and regain the airbag function.

It's quite clear that the hub has been designed for a non-airbag model, which it would fit perfectly. Someone has realised that if you have an airbag equipped car, you'll need a resistor to stop the warning light coming on. So there is a "non-airbag" and "airbag" hub - there is no physical difference between the hubs, you just get a resistor in one kit and not in the other. However, no one seems to have realised that the cut-out will also need to be enlarged for an airbag car. Easy enough mistake to make if you never actually tried to fit one. However, they have been making and selling these for 10+ years - look on any aftermarket website and they are listed as fitting "Subaru Impreza - all years". Surely someone has clocked that they don't fit? I can't be only the second person ever to buy one??
Old 19 January 2015, 07:29 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Yes but if you see the last post, he's fitted it. Some car need a bit of modding of the wires, nothing's plug n play.
I agree. I could fit it. Cut up the clock-spring, cut all the wires, lose the ability to ever re-install an airbag. Have no issue with having to mod items to fit. That would all be fine if the only hub available was one that specifically only fits a non-airbag car. I'd have to get creative.

However, if a kit is being advertised as specifically designed for an airbag car and it clearly hasn't and in fact doesn't even physically fit, then that takes the ****.

It's like buying an exhaust manifold for a "Turbo" car and then finding that it's just an N/A manifold but comes with a length of vacuum hose........
Old 19 January 2015, 07:37 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I think you need a cut out in the boss for that switch to sit into it? Can you take a pic of your boss from the back.

A hkb would be a better alternative tbh. Take no notice of what sellers state, it's all just copy n paste as most cars are simple like that but others you have to buy correct parts which YOU have to research first.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 19 January 2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 19 January 2015, 07:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Have you got a grove in back of boss like this for that connector on clock sprung to sit in?

Name:  e2ffb05b7fee5797e4d85ac20a1aab2c_zps7e0ee473.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  268.9 KB
Old 19 January 2015, 08:00 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Bit of info here for you,

https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-1...el-change.html

And read this, this is the research you should of done prior to buying, it's taken me 15 mins to get to the bottom of this for you and a hkb boss is the only one that's a correct fitment with enough space a rear off boss for connectors.
http://www.carldavey.co.uk/article.php?id=2

And if it's a newage you want a 238 boss kit http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=231435054072

Regards

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 19 January 2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 25 January 2015, 12:52 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

This is what the back of the hub looks like:

Name:  1421700141662313260070_zps6ed69fed.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB

The cut out is too small for the horn & airbag switches to fit through without chopping them up.

This is what the cut out needs to look like, in order for the hub to fit without butchering the switches. 10mins with a Dremel.

Name:  DSC_0205_zps9ixx8wqc.jpg
Size:  109.0 KB

I've fitted Momo hubs to half a dozen different cars over the years and never encountered an issue where they don't fit or have to be modded. The wiring yes, the hub itself, no. Just find it bizarre that these are being sold as "Fits all years Subaru Impreza, specifically Airbag models", when clearly they don't.
Old 25 January 2015, 02:40 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

As said its a incorrect boss, see my ebay link in post above where it shows pic of rear of boss.
Get a refund and buy hkb
Old 25 January 2015, 02:56 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

As said its a incorrect boss, see my ebay link in post above where it shows pic of rear of boss.
Get a refund and buy hkb

Yes, I know the boss is incorrect......that has been the whole point of my post

Anyway, some minor fettling and it fits:

Name:  14221952588361248302506_zpsmfqr8dfa.jpg
Size:  94.5 KB

All switches and plugs preserved, so that it can be returned to stock with working airbag. Only the Green/Red wire needs to be cut to allow the horn to work but that can easily be re-connected.
Old 08 March 2017, 10:15 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've now fallen foul of this myself. So my options look to be dremel it out or return it for an HKB. What a **** take from Momo.

The Momo boss looks far more solid than the HKB so I'm reluctant to swap it for that really.....