Momo Steering Boss & Airbag Delete

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2014, 12:28 PM
cushti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Momo Steering Boss & Airbag Delete

Model - '95 UK Turbo with airbag

Hi & hoping someone can assist as just got back into scooby ownership. I bought a Momo Boss specific to this model (7310) with airbag delete resistor included. Absolutely useless with no instructions. I heard the Works one is best but costs twice as much but worth it in hindsight as I have to adapt everything now. I don't want to just remove the bulb before it's suggested.

The resistor has 2 wires when my airbag wiring has 3 wires (green/yellow, brown & blue). Plus the yellow plug is too big to go through the boss hole so I'l have to cut it right back!

Q1: Which colour wires I connect the 2 resistor wires to - I'm guessing the brown and blue & terminate the green?

Q2: Are the clock springs interchangeable from the non-airbag to airbag models?

Last edited by cushti; 28 February 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 28 February 2014, 01:06 PM
t2dex
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

I just left my airbag light on, Don't affect the MOT at all.
Old 28 February 2014, 01:31 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

If the airbag warning light is on it WILL fail an MoT.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/Specia...ce%2009-11.pdf

t2dex was just lucky that the tester wasn't doing his job properly.

If you change the steering wheel for a non airbag it 'should' also fail.

Check the bit about Supplementary restraints'

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ffiliate=85386

Last edited by Rescue Dude; 28 February 2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 28 February 2014, 01:48 PM
t2dex
Scooby Regular

That's funny because I have been to 2 different stations and they said that the light was on because I changed the steering wheel so they did not fail it.

I could take the bulb out but its been like that for 2 years now.
I could change back to the original steering wheel in about 15 mins but never had too TBH.
Old 11 March 2014, 05:18 PM
cushti
Scooby Regular

Right here we go as I figured it out myself. Remember this is specific to the Momo boss kit K7310 which allegedly fits all Imprezas 1993 to 2005 - fits all of them my *ss (no fitting instructions included). I am fitting this to a '95 UK Turbo so if you have a different model there may be slight differences. You do all the following at your own risk & if you have any doubt then stop now. There are instructions all over the net about removing the airbag & steering wheel safely so I'm not rewriting it. The following assumes you have already done this & the battery is still disconnected.

Fitting The Boss:
You'll notice straight away that NONE of the wiring plugs (horn or airbag) fit through the Momo boss hole - fantastic!
1. Cut off all the plugs & wiring except for one - the red/green wire for the horn (cut them all back so they are flush or behind the face of the clockspring)
2. There is a plastic black tab that the wiring comes through in the clockspring - cut it off so it's also flush (i.e: only the horn wire is coming through this hole now which will & must go through the boss hole easily)
3. Put a female spade connector onto the horn wire & connect to either of the spades on the horn button itself (doesn't matter which one). Then you need to earth it so get about 3" of wire (use some of the wire you've already chopped off earlier) & attach a female spade connector to each end, fit one end to the other spade on the horn button & the other to the spade on the metal ring in the boss kit (this metal ring fits between the boss & the steering wheel)

Retain The Normal Airbag Light:
1. Disconnect the yellow airbag plug in the driver's footwell (airbag wiring is easy to find as it's inside the only yellow conduit under there)
2. Chop the plug off & attach small female spade connectors to the ends of the brown & blue wires. Terminate the green/yellow wire as it’s not needed. Plug a resister wire into each spade connector (it doesn't matter which way round as it's just making the circuit complete). Wrap each one in electrical tape securely (alternatively solder the wires together & wrap up separately)

The above also retains the auto indicator cancelling function. Ask me any q's you like as I may have missed something out.

Last edited by cushti; 11 March 2014 at 05:22 PM.