Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX STI Spec D - Accident Thread

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2012, 05:49 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STI Spec D - Accident Thread

There aren't many threads relating to accident claims so I thought I would share my experiences with an ongoing claim

I don't believe customer service can be measured at purchase time only when faulty goods need to be returned, or a claim needs to be made.

Unfortunately I'm not the funniest of people so this is going to be a pretty boring thread but hopefully of use to others.

Insurance for my MY06 WRX STI Spec D was taken out with Sky Insurance and the underwriter is Marker Study.

Friday 25th November
Accident in the Lake District between myself and a third party, low speed offset head on. Both vehicles sustain damage to the passenger side but no one is hurt.

Mine is driveable, the rental car of the third party is not. Exchange addresses and give third party lift to nearest town as mobile reception has vanished. He probably waits a couple of hours for a shiny new car and I'm stuck with an accident damaged mess. Great start to the holiday.

Damage to mine is bonnet, bumper, passenger side wing (which was not directly hit but is bowed outwards), washer bottle split, air con no longer works and alarm can't be set. As the car drives and no coolant is leaking I do not open the bonnet just incase it won't close again.

Sunday 29th November
Leave Lakes a day early to return home and commence claim.

Monday 28th November
Check Sky Insurance website for claims procedure, I can't find evidence that I purchased the accident management service and call Marker Study directly. Go through details of accident.

Afternoon: Phone Sky Insurance as a courtesy call to report the incident and apparently I have purchased the accident management (shown on the renewal documentation) and they transfer me to Kindertons. Go through the accident details again including whether I have sustained an injury, which I have not. I also decline the hire car that I am entitled to for a no-fault claim.

Tuesday 29th November
Receive a phone call from Action Claims, details of the accident have been passed onto them by Marker Study and they will manage the claim on my behalf and get me mobile again. They pass my details onto Drive Assist who will arrange the repair of my vehicle and a hire car.

Wednesday 30th November
Receive phone call from Kindertons regarding the injury I sustained during the accident, repeat the fact I have sustained no injury and I express my concern nothing appears to be happening regarding getting the car repaired. I'm promised a call back to confirm what is happening.

Thursday 1st December
Call Drive Assist, go through the accident details again and no injury sustained. The call gets to the point of arranging the hire car, which based on some research I have done, I want to decline and just concentrate on getting the car fixed. So I tell the agent my position and the call is pretty much ended at that point with no arrangement for getting the car fixed!!!!

Friday 2nd December
Call Kindertons explain that I want get the car to a bodyshop and get repairs started, it's now four days since the accident was reported and its still in my garage. I inform the agent I have a preferred bodyshop that I would like to use. At this point I was expecting Kindertons to say no problem Mr Ward we'll get this arranged for you. Instead I'm told Kindertons have no direct communications with Marker Study and I will need to contact the them directly.

Phone Marker Study, take details of bodyshop and given instructions by Marker Study on the procedure, which is for the bodyshop to email the estimate to them and one of their independent engineers will contact me within 48 hours.

Car is driven to bodyshop early afternoon.

Tuesday 6th December
Receive phone call from bodyshop to confirm estimate has been sent to Marker Study.

Friday 9th December
No phone called received from Marker Study regarding estimate, I call them to chase this but no reference to the estimate can be found. They will call be back to confirm what has happened.

A phone message is left on my home answering machine confirming the estimate has been received and approval has been given for the bodyshop to start work.

Monday 12th December
A phone message is left on my home answering machine to call one of the independent engineers at Marker Study. I call them to be told the estimate is too high for 'a bit of panel damage' and it will not be accepted. Two choices are given to me, take the car plus cash in lieu to get the car repaired myself or use the the Marker Study Approved Repairer. I choose the latter because I do not believe the amount of cash would come close to covering the repairs. I am told to leave everything to them, the arrangements will be dealt with and approving the repair is just a formality.

Monday 19th December
Arrive home after work in the evening to find a letter from Nationwide Crash Repair Centres, they are the approved repairer and the Wokingham branch has been assigned to repair the car. The letter goes on to state they have been unable to call due to the phone number provided by Marker Study being incorrect.

Tuesday 20th December
Call Nationwide, discover two digits have been transposed in the my telephone number. Also discover the car is still at the bodyshop where I originally wanted the repair to be carried out. The address of the bodyshop is given to Nationwide and a phone call on Friday 23rd is promised to update me.

Friday 23rd December
Mid-afternoon no phone call, so I give Nationwide a call. The update is good, the work has been completed on the car and it may go into the paint shop on Wednesday 28th.

Estimated date of completion is set as 30th December.

Tuesday 27th December
Enthused by repair renew VED at £460, had been considering SORN given how little progress had been made for the first few weeks.

Wednesday 28th December
Call Nationwide late morning to confirm whether the car will be going into the paint shop. The response is no we're still waiting on parts, such as washer bottle, which should arrive today. I will receive an update phone on Friday.

Estimated date of completion is changed by Nationwide to Friday 6th January.

Friday 30th December
Receive update from Nationwide, I can't remember whether I phoned them or they phoned me. Work is progressing well and the car should go into the paint shop on Wednesday 4th.

Estimated date of completion remains 6th January.

Friday 6th January
Update from Nationwide, repair to car is not yet complete.
Me: What is preventing completion of the repair?
Nationwide: Fiddly bits.
Me: Fiddly bits? I enquire
Nationwide: yes sir parts like the grill need to be attached to the bumper after painting and the bumper needs to be re-fitted to the car etc.

Estimated date of completion is moved by Nationwide to Wednesday 11th January

Wednesday 11th January
Update from Nationwide, repair to car is not yet complete.
The protective film (car originally fitted with Armourfend) has yet to be fitted to the front of the car and it been difficult to find someone that does it.

Estimated date of completion is moved by Nationwide to Friday 13th January

Friday 13th January
Renew insurance policy in anticipation of collecting car, premium has risen from £630 to £895 due to ongoing disputed claim with the third party. It should have been more but I requested the £22 for the accident management company was removed as I've not heard from them since the first week.

Update from Nationwide, the car is not available to be collected. The protective film over the front of the car is not due to be fitted until Tuesday. I request to be called on Tuesday around lunchtime to confirm whether the car will be ready for collection from Nationwide on Tuesday.

Great, now I'm paying VED and insurance on a car I can't use.

Tuesday 17th January
No phone call, just can't be arsed to call them.

Thursday 19th January
Still no phone call.
11am: Phone Nationwide, the guy I need to speak to is unavailable and will give me a call back.
4pm: Phone Nationwide, the guy I need to speak to is unavailable and will give me a call back. I point out that I have been waiting 5 hours for call back.

10 minutes later I receive the phone call and the car is ready to be dropped back to me. I insist that I will come and collect the car from Nationwide and it will be no trouble at all. After a bit more discussion about having the car dropped off the message that I will collect the car finally sinks in. Added bonus I get an extra half hour in bed.

Friday 20th January
With high optimism I purchase a single to Wokingham and board the train looking forward to seeing the car restored to its former condition. Arrive at Nationwide, greeted by the customer services guy and start to look over the car. He gets the key and I'm left to look over the car. So out comes the camera phone to record the mess.

The bonnet, these were taken with the bonnet shut showing the inconsistent shut line. Bonnet lines up with the drivers side wing (unaffected by the accident) but doesn't with the passenger side.

There is also poor fit between the wing and headlight on the passenger side and the headlight unit is still angled towards the drivers side of the car and not straight ahead.

The worst part of the repair is with the passenger side wing, it hasn't been straightened properly (I think an attempt has been made but can't be sure). Basically it still sticks out giving the affect of the passenger side front wheel being position further inside the wheel arch that it actually is.

Comparing the passenger and drivers side wheel arch liners shows how bad it is. It was put to me that this issue was caused by the wheel arch liner not being fitted correctly until I pointed out the bumper and wing curved away from the edge of the wheel arch liner and surely the misalignment would need to be a straight edge.

Finally in an attempt to make the front of the car appear straight the new cross member has been bent to offset the issues with the passenger side wing.

The only part of the repair that I was happy with was the transparent film which wasn't fitted by Nationwide!!!!

Left the car with them, assured the car would be put on a priority list for rectification and I will get a phone call on Monday 23rd. Walked off, declining a lift back to Wokingham station so that I could calm down. Pissed off at having to buy another single for the train due to previous optimism.

Phoned Marker Study to tell them how s**t the repair by their Authorised Repairer was and what happens next. Nationwide are allowed a second attempt at the repair, if that is then unsatisfactory an independent engineer will be sent to inspect the car. I queried the definition of independent in this case given my previous experience of a Marker Study independent engineer.

I'm really looking forward to the phone call and the random completion date for the second repair.

So here ends the first instalment. Hopefully someone is still awake and it hasn't scared too many Marker Study customers

I had optimistically expected 2 months would have been enough to turnaround a repair but looks like I'm going to be without a car for a bit longer, and the rally season is about to kick off too

Monday 23rd January
Waited for a phone call from Nationwide regarding the rectification work, no call received by 10:40. Call Nationwide but the person I speak to is unavailable dealing with another customer, I will get a call back in 10-15 minutes.

11:20 Still nothing so a second call is made, phone is answered immediately. Express disappointment that I had not been called earlier in the day and an apology is given. Car is back in the workshop, exact status is unknown and I will get a callback after a discussion with the workshop foreman has taken place. Fair enough, I reiterate that the passenger wing needs to be straightened otherwise the rest of the panels will never fit.

I use the analogy of a random set of jigsaw pieces forced together with a fist to describe the repair from Friday. Not the most helpful thing to say but given current blood pressure levels... and I wait the callback.

12:00 Receive callback from Nationwide, the car is currently in bits and the four problems identified are currently being addressed. I point out there maybe more than four problems that require fixing and these will also need to be addressed.

An estimated completion date of Wednesday 25th is given and that I will receive a progress call tomorrow morning, an expectation of mid-morning is set to prevent any confusion that may have occured today.

I also received a call from Sky Insurance customer services this morning acknowledging the thread, the issues raised and that they had been in communication with Market Study regarding this.

Tuesday 24th January
Called Marker Study to query the reuse of panels in the repair and requested a copy of the Audatex Report produced by Nationwide to determine what they are actually supposed to be doing. Went through the update Nationwide provided the previous day and stated the completion date is unlikely to be met given the previous history.

Marker Study are going to contact Nationwide to ascertain the above. No expectation on a callback was made but I hope to receive one tomorrow.

It was also agreed that an Independent Engineer will inspect the car when the rectification work is completed. Given the state of the car, and the fact I'm not an Motor Vehicle Engineer, I'm not going to spot the shortcuts and other quality issues in the repair that others on this thread picked up on.

Nationwide, well didn't receive the expected phone call today from them. Just couldn't be bothered to call and get a random update. Hopefully Marker Study will have better luck and get some concrete evidence something is happening.

Wednesday 25th January
Called Marker Study this morning and was informed the Independent Engineer will inspect the car tomorrow irrespective of its condition. Outstanding issues identified by the engineer will then be rectified to ensure the vehicle is returned to its original condition.

Findings from the Engineer are expected possibly Friday but Monday is more likely and I will receive a callback when Marker Study have the findings.

I'm happy with that, especially the concrete date for the inspection rather than wait for Nationwide.

Monday 30th January
Called Marker Study in the afternoon to chase Engineers report for car, they were still awaiting the report. Possible EOD or Tuesday.

Tuesday 31st January
Received an unexpected call from Nationwide regarding repair of the car. The replacement near side wing is being painted today and would be fitted to the car tomorrow. A possible, and this was emphasised by the caller, date of completion is Wednesday. Fair enough and call ended.

Called Marker Study in the afternoon to chase Engineers report for car. Report was being prepared and would be emailed shortly, it was. As agreed with Marker Study, last week, the report will not be published on the internet. Read report and called Marker Study back to discuss contents, a call from the engineer will be arranged to discuss the report. Informed Marker Study of earlier phone from Nationwide.

Thursday 2nd February
The Engineer who carried out the inspection called me today, the contents of the report was discussed and the questions I had were answered during the call. The vehicle was complete when inspected, I guess Nationwide must have put it all back together (see Monday 24rd Jan update).

Tuesday 7th February
Called Nationwide for an update regarding the repair of the car. Work is now complete, with the exception of applying the protective film to the new wing. It was agreed I will inspect the car before the film is applied and is arranged for first thing tomorrow morning.

Wednesday 8th February
Went to Nationwide to see the car and rejected the repair for a second time. This I had a socket set with me and was able to remove the air intake from the front panel. The passenger side wing had been fitted and looks much better than the previous one.

The bonnet and bumper fit was a bit better but the bonnet is low when compared to the wings, it is worse on the passenger side.

There also inconsistent fit where the headlamps met the grill. Bumper alignment with the passenger side wing is still not right with it being pulled to far back creating a bigger panel than is present on the drivers side.

Also the headlamp washers no longer fit flush with the bumper.

It wasn't possible to test the washers because the pump used to drive them was not working, the windscreen wipers were still working though. I did check the washer bottle, before some smart **** says anything , it was filled with a transparent odourless liquid (probably not the most sensible thing to have in there at this time of the year!!!!).

With the air intake removed the curve in the front panel can be better seen:

It is also possible to see the distortion on the passenger side where the panel curves:

Aligning the holes for the intake is difficult and requires a bit force to get both bolts in. Here are three different shots showing the alignment:

Bumper and new passenger wing alignment could be better:

Bumper and wheel arch liner on passenger side could still be better:

Careful blending of the new passenger wing with the rest of the engine bay (OK, it's been painted off the car):

Spoke to Marker Study and the plan is for an alternative bodyshop to workout why there are problems with the repair and provide a rectification cost.

Thursday 9th February
Phoned Marker Study for update regarding rectification. Marker Study have decided to send the Engineer from Hoopers to inspect the second repair , the same company that provided the first report. On the basis of that report, the rectification work carried out by Nationwide would consistute a manufacturer standard repair. Date for inspection has yet to be confirmed.

As far as the alternative bodyshop, it would be upto me to find them, transport the car there, get an estimate for the rectification work and then Hoopers would send an engineer to approve the work identified. If it did get to that stage I would Hoopers have carried out some research on what a Subaru Impreza looks like or at least identify an engineer within their organisation who is familiar with the vehicle. So in effect Marker Study wash theirs hands of the mess they've created and failed to rectify if I take this route.

Discussed an alternative Marker Study approved repairer and Tonbridge Coachworks was identified. On the subject of warranty I was assured the complete repair would be covered if the work was completed here. The only downside is the distance, it would take a leap of faith to accept the car being delivered to me without seeing it first.

After the issues wth the first engineers report it was agreed I would provide an email outlining the current problems with the car.

Friday 10th February
Emailed PDF listing issues with photos, the contents is basically the items listed in this thread.

I also received a surprise phone call from Nationwide, work is continuing on the car and I would receive an update on Monday after the internal progress meeting. Hung up bemused as to what they might be doing, notified Marker Study via email of the phone call.

I do wonder sometimes whether either of these companies are communicating with each other.

Monday 13th February
Received a phone call from the Independent engineer onsite at Nationwide and discussed the issues with the car while he went around the car.

Tuesday 14th February
Received a phone call from Nationwide, a new front panel has been ordered for the car and should hopefully be fitted by the end of next week.

Friday 24th February
Received an update phone call from Nationwide advising me the car is in the fitting shop and maybe ready on Tuesday. Push for a more specific date making the caller aware that the car is required for a trip to the Lake District the following week. I will get another phone call with a more specific date, no phone call received when I leave the office at 7pm.

Monday 27th February
Phoned Nationwide mid-afternoon to get update on the car, speak to a different person who is unable to give the information and will call me back. I reiterate the need to have the car before the end of the week and if it will not be available expect a hire car to be provided by either Nationwide or Marker Study.

After an hour phone Nationwide again and leave a message for the person to call me back. No phone call received when I leave the office at 7pm.

Tuesday 28th February
Phoned Marker Study mid morning regarding the difficulty getting a completion date for the repair and the pending trip to the Lake District. Marker Study would contact Nationwide and call me back with the details.

Late afternoon, no phone call received. Phoned Marker Study again and was put on hold while they phoned Nationwide but they could not get a concrete date. Immediately received a phone call from Nationwide and was told the car is due to be completed Wednesday and will be available for Thursday.

I will receive a phone call tomorrow morning to confirm this.

Wednesday 29th February
Phone Nationwide mid-afternoon having received no call, panel gaps still being adjusted and the car should be ready Thursday. A hire car will be provided if the work is not complete.

Thursday 1st March
Receive phone call from Nationwide, my car will not be ready and the hire car will be provided. Agree delivery to my home address and it arrives on time.

Monday 5th March
Check Nationwide vehicle repair tracking and my car finally appears on there, completion date has slipped to Friday 9th March.

Receive phone call from Marker Study Group Customer Services enquiring whether I have been pleased with the way the claim has been handled...

Friday 9th March
Check Nationwide vehicle repair tracking, completion date has slipped to Monday 12th March.

Wednesday 14th March
Receive phone call from Nationwide, car is still being worked on. An engineer is going to be sent to inspect the car when rectification work has been completed, I agree to be available when this occurs. Completion date unavailable.

Tuesday 20th March
Visit Nationwide unannounced to see how the car is progressing, most of the panel fit problems have been rectified. An small inconsistency with the gap between the bonnet and bumper still exists, identified by Nationwide, which they are looking to rectify.

Monday 2nd April
Receive phone call from Nationwide to inform me the car is now available to collect.

Tuesday 3rd April
Arrived at Nationwide in the hire car and finally left in my own car. After inspecting the car and checking everything still worked I was finally happy to accept the car. Paid insurance excess and left hoping never to return.

Sunday 29th April
After now covering 1500 miles nothing has fallen off or ceased to work on the car. The only problem found so far is the headlights are aimed low and the near side needs to be adjusted to the left, the aim is current a bit straight ahead.

Last edited by nigelward; 29 April 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add entries for April
Old 22 January 2012, 05:55 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

No, insist that the work is completed at a repairer of your choice. They have recycled old parts there, like bumper bars, and have just done the cheapest job they possibly can.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:06 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gutted, lets hope they **** it up again so you can get it done properly elsewhere ! what an awful position to be in
Old 22 January 2012, 07:53 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

That is an excellent write up , you probably have everyone now rushing to look at their policies to see who they are insured with.
It's sad when companies who you pay good money to lets you down like that, personally I think they who you a written apology and some form of compensation making you wait two months for your car. Ill shall look forward to the outcome of this to see how the finally sort it.
Old 22 January 2012, 08:30 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

stuff like this really makes my blood boil!!!!!! im an indeendant bodyshop for reference.

firstly you should never ever have to ay for an accident management to cover you, this is a free service offered by many firms, we use a firm who have been dealing with ourselves for over 10 yrs,

the actual accident if its non fault should go like this:

contact accident management comany they should ask you where you want the car to go, info on the accident and assertain if the bum was your fault or not, if it is deemed non fault then you will be asked if you would like an hire car, you declined, should of took it, alot of the companies push for pi as they get good money from it.

take your car to YOUR garage, they should compile an estimate through a insurances based scheme audatex/glassmatix, an industry standard and recognised price list...this estimate will go to the assesors ie kindertons and they should approve the estimate, this is where they have pulled a fast one, no likely your aroved garage will be charging £30-£35 per hour, their own approved repairers nationwide will be under a contract of £20-£25 per hour, 10% parts discount and 10-15% paint discount, had you stuck to your guns you could of told them no!!

onto the repairs, it deends what they have/havent been authorised and what they have/havent actually done,

bare minimum would be a new bonnet, and possibly the slam panel, the one thing though that film should not be applied to fresh paint work, a minimum of 6 weeks needs to be left before its fitted, if not then you run the risk of microblister and delamination of the paint once the film is removed, the blistering would become evident with the film fitted

im glad you stuck to your guns and didnt accept the car, the length of time for repair is excessive but we have had the christmas break

hope it get sorted quickly.
Old 22 January 2012, 09:22 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, I'm sure there are a few old hands with there heads in their hands reading the school boy errors that I have made along the way.

The information I have from Marker Study is the third party is still disputing fault for the accident, so at this point in the time the non-fault avenue is still not open to me.

I do regret not getting the hire car, however I baulked at paying £10 to insure myself against the management company not being able to reclaim the full hire cost and becoming liable for the remainder (this may have related to Drive Assist and not Kindertons). Also, after Googling about these hire cars there were other issues people had experienced with them that I did not want to become liable for or enter into another dispute.

The garage I went to for the original estimate came in at just under £6K using the Audatex System, I chose them because they carried out insurance work on my Mother's car after an accident and the standard was very good. Nationwide came in at just under £4K, however that did not allow for the protective film which comes in around £650+VAT.

Marker Study are clamping down on repairs going outside their network of approved repairers, the following is taken from the 'Changes to Your Cover' included in the renewal of my policy:

Repairs following an Accident or Loss
We operate an approved repairer network. If you choose not to have your car repaired by our approved repairer we will not pay more than our approved repairer would have charged and an additional £250 excess will apply.

We will not pay more than the UK list price of parts and will not pay the cost of importing parts that are not available in the UK

So anyone renewing needs to be aware if they want to follow this avenue should the unfortunate happen, which I truly hope doesn't.

Last edited by nigelward; 22 January 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 22 January 2012, 09:23 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

cuprajake - what about if it's a fault claim? (ie your accident management company can't give you your referral fee as they can't earn on hire car or PI costs)

FWIW although i work in insurance one of my best friends owns his own bodyshop, so i know how it works
Old 22 January 2012, 10:04 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

if its a fault claim we give them our free courtesy car, for what its worth i use our claims team to do the running round, they supply a car which leaves ours free and it frees me up to do important work, not speak to call centres all day and hang on the phone for hours to be told i need a different department,,,, were also aware of the restrictions the insurance are placing, i beleive its called restricted practice!! bit of a joke really seen as there raping their customer with silly insurance premiums and then there also pushing body shops labour rates down lower than they have ever been and wanting nearly 30% in discounts.

to this fact we waiver the additional policy, were also introducing excess protect to our customers to negate what the insurance companies are trying to do.

for £6k through audatext id love to see what they were doing, really would.
Old 22 January 2012, 10:13 PM
Moley
Sponsor

I'm not going to get into an arguement as to who rips off who, we all have our opinions. (i think you'll agree there is a big difference between an insurance job and a cash job)

The job above is shocking, and the bodyshop should be sorting that out asap.

Last edited by Moley; 23 January 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 22 January 2012, 10:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

book marked for a read in my lunch half hour tomorrow
Old 22 January 2012, 10:23 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

not really, the isurance companies want estimates complied off either glasmatix or audatex these are industry standard times, audatex is the prefered as it doesnt recognise thatchem which is were most times are compiled and then databased, (for those who dont know) the times are calculated off a technican being timed to remove parts and install new ones.

this is to stop one shop being twice the price of another and trotting quotes which is what is mentioned above. pricing structures vary from company to company and so if you were to use glassmatix/audatex for every quote you would get no work what so ever.

the misconcetion which i get all the time when its an insurance quote is people start walking round there car trying to add bits on, they dont realise the insurance argue over the smallest little detail...
Old 22 January 2012, 10:39 PM
Moley
Sponsor

I fully understand that, i just wondered how 'cash jobs' are half the price (or less) than 'insurance jobs'?
Anyway, it's going off topic....
Old 23 January 2012, 01:03 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just read this, mate, feel gutted for you,cant believe they took this long to attempt fix the car and then you get it back still fecked,
one thing for sure i will never use the company you did for insurance even if they were the cheapest
Old 23 January 2012, 07:49 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Brew time over, good read and a good insight into how it can go wrong

Having never been involved in a RTA I cant speculate or offer advice, but all I can say is that the repair work is as shoddy as a back street garage back hander, and to that I would be keeping all documents, photos and a comprehensive diary (as you have above) and continue to persue this until its sorted out 100% right. I would also be tempted to pay for my own independant full car inspection too just for peace of mind.

Best of Luck Nigel, I hope it ends on a happy read .

Rob
Old 23 January 2012, 04:57 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

just stuck it through my system

replacing the above with new parts:

front bumper
fog lamp
fog lamp surround
grille
n/s/f bumper guide
n/s dirt shield
n/s/f wing
n/s/f head light
bonnet
front slam panel
centre brace
n/s headlamp panel
bumper support
bumper beam
all the bumper sti parts
washer bottle & cap
air con rad
air con gas

inc blending the door and the drivers wing im getting:

labour £786.80
paint and materials £498.73
parts £2278.10

total of £4276.36 inc vat not got the film on there though.

but this is worst case, i would question whats been replaced???
Old 23 January 2012, 09:42 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, this is my first RTA and the advice given has been useful.

I have added today's update and not really much to say, back to progress calls and estimated completion dates.

cuprajake
It would be a surprise if the passenger side wing had been replaced, surely the alignment with the bumper would be better. While the gap is easy to see in the photo, it is possible to just see that the bumper sits pround of the wing at the front and the wing then sits slightly pround where they are screwed together in the wheel arch (hope that makes sense).

The air con radiator didn't look particularly shiny, this is the best shot I have where it can be partially seen. I've just noticed the marks on the panel to the right of the radiator mount, would you expect to see these? It looks a bit odd the paint on the panel has scratched so badly already!!!

Old 23 January 2012, 09:57 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also run an independent bodyshop,from the picture above it is clear to see that there is no new
Front panel
air con rad
clips to hold top of bumper[which would be on claim from bodyshop]

It is also very clear that the front panel is bent which is the jig or guide for everything else to go from which is why your bonnet no longer lines up to your wing tip and probably why the wing doesn't meet the bumper properly as the corner wing carrier[end of front panel] would have have been tweaked in the accident.

It also looks like the colour is out on the wing to bumper from the above pictures.
Old 23 January 2012, 10:26 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Thanks prodriverules, I think I'll give the insurance company a ring to clarify what condition the parts fitted to the car should be. The air-con radiator was not on the list of new components from the original bodyshop either and this could well be the original.

As far as the paintwork it did look correct when I was there, I don't recall there being the difference seen in the driver and passenger photos posted on the thread. I'll recheck when I go back for the second inspection.
Old 23 January 2012, 10:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Good advice guys!
Old 24 January 2012, 09:05 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

usualyy the camera does over exagerate colour differences esp with silver, and given the fact silver does lie different on plastics the ins would say that is a good enough match,

do agree though theres no new parts in the pics
Old 24 January 2012, 09:39 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

I've updated the first post with todays progress, nothing concrete but hopefully Marker Study will make some progress.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:06 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

i would hazzard a guess they have quoted for parts not fitted, if they have quoted for a wing, ask to see the od parts simple
Old 24 January 2012, 10:24 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

How blind I'm I!!!!!

Take a look at the photo of the wheel arch liner for the passenger side and follow the curve of the wing, there's a bloody great kink in it from the accident

Christ I really need to get some new glasses.
Old 24 January 2012, 11:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Subscribed as this is horrendous!
Old 25 January 2012, 12:08 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Myles
No, insist that the work is completed at a repairer of your choice. They have recycled old parts there, like bumper bars, and have just done the cheapest job they possibly can.
This must be no surprise though & is why we all avoid the insurers recomendation of repair company?!

TX.
Old 25 January 2012, 07:35 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nigelward
How blind I'm I!!!!!

Take a look at the photo of the wheel arch liner for the passenger side and follow the curve of the wing, there's a bloody great kink in it from the accident

Christ I really need to get some new glasses.
I couldnt/still cant see it, so I think I am blind

Rob
Old 25 January 2012, 09:58 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

I've updated the first post with todays progress, happier that the inspection has been scheduled irrespctive of how much Nationwide has done. Hopefully speed things up a little.
Old 25 January 2012, 10:14 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
I couldnt/still cant see it, so I think I am blind

Rob
Hi Rob,

Hopefully this helps:

Nigel
Old 27 January 2012, 01:33 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nigelward
Hi Rob,

Hopefully this helps:

Nigel
Bloody hell, this whole saga is sole destroying. I hope you get it sorted 100% right.

Update required

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 27 January 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 27 January 2012, 01:38 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looked better before the repair

Quick Reply: WRX STI Spec D - Accident Thread