Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got in lots of trouble... wonder what will happen!

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2011, 10:50 PM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got in lots of trouble... wonder what will happen!

Hi all!

Bought my first scoob the other week, maybe 4 ago, its a sport so going to that from my original car for the next 6mths with fluxy was quoted 386quid, my original premium was 500odd.

I'm 21 with 4years ncb come next renewal and up til the day of the scoob 0pts.

However bought the scoob fairly cheap as a project which is still ongoing so as it was sorn and taxless elected to tow it on a solid metal bar but with all 4 wheels grounded as its 4wd dont want to hurt the diff, my dad towed i sat in it for fun.

At this poiunt Id add the car had plates on lights all the front removed everything to make it good to tow and solid as they come, unfortunately we pulled into services to check all was in order as a police car also came in.

It went abit like this,

Have you crashed? No just towing
Is it Your vehical? Yes for the last 10mins
Has it got tax? No its sorn
MOT? No its sorn for f$*ks sake dumbass
Insurance? What? Why the hell would I need that?
Get in the car....

6pts for me 200quid fine and same for the old man!

Woulda got less if id just driven it back at least he wouldnt have been given anything but we were just trying to be legal and all as usual the law abiding get shafted

Nice... then had to insure it and pay 300 quid release from the pound it went to and delivery back :P haha

Now i dont care too much tbh me dads annoyed and its going to court but thats besides the point.

Fluxy the legends gave me insurance for 318... cheaper than before the mad heads.

But I'm just thinking now, these 6pts there gonna effect me next year probably arent they, it carries a conviction too, IN10 anyhow...

any thoughts.... any good companies for a 21yr old too?
Old 30 May 2011, 10:58 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

If I were you I would go to court and fight it.
Was it traffic or regular plod?
I know they get alot of abuse but when you hear stories like this it makes me angry as well
Old 30 May 2011, 11:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd go to court too, sounds crazy.
Old 30 May 2011, 11:21 PM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steviefastbikes
If I were you I would go to court and fight it.
Was it traffic or regular plod?
I know they get alot of abuse but when you hear stories like this it makes me angry as well

Was a motorway car... we were bascally home too to rub salt in the wound!

Was a woman who did the fines, a sort of lezzer looking woman who kept telling me how she was trying to help me out by dealing with all the offences in one and only giving us 12pts and 400quid collectively! haha!

at the time i just didnt say too much was stunned tbh and me old man just said dont get upset dont let em know it even hurts you... i was like yeah cheers for impounding my new car was gona scrap it anyway!

There was an older guy in the car with her when she was dealing with me dad he said to me he would have dealt with it differently and suggested trying to get some legal aid! But then it makes you thin why didnt he step in and say something!

To be fair as I say I bought the scoob dead cheap but it needed about 500quid putting into it in parts to get it roadworthy, which is nearly now all done.

As I say it did spoil the deal a bit but I haven't lost my enthusiasm and cant wait get the car out on the road, my dads speaking to his solicitors and the likelihood is it will go to court!

But in response to your post... doesnt it make you feel safe in your bed knowing that thats stopped one less naughty 21 year old driver whos paid a good 3grand in the last 4years insuring slow cars from towing a sorn vehical that didnt have insurance!
Old 30 May 2011, 11:22 PM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I'd go to court too, sounds crazy.

I know mate... think it will have to at least so the old man can have some leniance! Hes out of work atm and always done driving jobs! break down etc... 6pts dont help anyone...
Old 30 May 2011, 11:28 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was on a public road being towed so SORN does not count IMHO

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10021514

Only recourse if from the seller if you bought it from an area to which the public have access......

Shaun
Old 30 May 2011, 11:29 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

"Every vehicle registered in the United Kingdom (UK) must be taxed if used or kept on a public road. If the vehicle is kept off-road it must either be taxed or have a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) in force. If not it could be wheel clamped or removed.......

Shaun
Old 30 May 2011, 11:32 PM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
It was on a public road being towed so SORN does not count IMHO

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10021514

Only recourse if from the seller if you bought it from an area to which the public have access......

Shaun

Heyup mate. Tax only a 3 pointer though isnt it, like my problem was didnt look into legalities instead i was lookin into whether you could tow a scoob etc technical stuff. two wheels 4 wheels etc, didnt consider all the legal stuff! I thought common sense itsa a trailer its got lihgts its attached to a car both plates displayed trailer lights all that.

Just got a expensive lesson and 6points which im sure will not go down well in september and its such a bas$%^& cause im always so carelful almost paranoid with speeding etc and which roads i open up on.
Old 30 May 2011, 11:48 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I'm on your side here The law has changed to try and remove the uninsured / untaxed drivers out there but the net also catches people like you and me who are just basically going about their daily lives.

Plod actually has discretion over these ofences as they are not triable or indictable offences, why they didn't send you on your way with a bollocking beggars belief !!

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...rs_mags_ct.htm

Shaun
Old 30 May 2011, 11:54 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd have a word with Flux TBH. If they have put you with the company i think they have you might be screwed come renewal, as that company don't quote with an IN10 on your licence ASAIK.

They'll need to know so they can put you with another insurer (if needed).
Old 30 May 2011, 11:59 PM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Hey there, yeah well to be honest I'm not even driving the car for another few weks yet i had to switch my policy though to get the car back, lol I know im with a separate company as flux are brokers arent the.

To be honest Iv seen you do insurance with Keith Michaels isnt it my mates just gone with them do you reckon I'll be better with you next year? Thats what I was thinking:

Its just a sport 2.0 4yrs ncb but as i say a stupid 6pt and IN10 which doesnt really reflect on anything! But i know in insurance terms it does...
Old 31 May 2011, 12:06 AM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I'm on your side here The law has changed to try and remove the uninsured / untaxed drivers out there but the net also catches people like you and me who are just basically going about their daily lives.

Plod actually has discretion over these ofences as they are not triable or indictable offences, why they didn't send you on your way with a bollocking beggars belief !!

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...rs_mags_ct.htm

Shaun
Thats interesting Shaun, thanks so I guess I'm in the first catorgary there, as you say I wasn't sure at the time what the outcome would be... You'd think there would be some leniancy given that insurance rules have all recently changed. But at the end of the day you know its just Britains last industry... the take money for nothinng (often) industry which is insurance.

And as many will also know plod have been told to try and get as much income as possible through any means...

Perfect example is the average speed cams which were pointlessly thereyall chrismas down a500 on my end... making a dual carrige way 50limit just to take income, ewas in all the papers.

Similarly these adds about uninsured vehicals and how theyre watching you have just come on tv now havent they...
Old 31 May 2011, 12:07 AM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I'd have a word with Flux TBH. If they have put you with the company i think they have you might be screwed come renewal, as that company don't quote with an IN10 on your licence ASAIK.

They'll need to know so they can put you with another insurer (if needed).

Moley let us know if you've had experiance of a similar quote that you've done... Originally I was planning on paying 1000-1100 next year...
Old 31 May 2011, 12:33 AM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

if the car being towed needs some one in it to steer and brake then it needs to be road legal.
but if you are towing with an a-frame that needs nobody to steer or brake the towed car it is then classed as a trailer.
i towed a car from Birmingham to cornwall with an a-frame with no problems.
Old 31 May 2011, 12:52 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ yep, disconnect the prop and you'd have been away with just a dolly IMHO
Old 31 May 2011, 01:27 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i always thought you were ok to tow and that you were covered by the insurance of the towing car. has the law changed then???
thats **** mate, hate pigs
Old 31 May 2011, 10:12 AM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
i always thought you were ok to tow and that you were covered by the insurance of the towing car. has the law changed then???
thats **** mate, hate pigs

My dads insurance says he has cover to pull a car on solid metal bar and if the car is disabled i.e sorn then the cover will also apply to this car so may be interesting.

However yes I can see it going either way as is suggested above....

Prop scenario... thought about that one but then when your buying a car on someones drive taking the front offs bad enough.

If I'd taken the prop off might have seen underneath better, probably wouldn't have had it! hahaha

In hindsight however it would now have beeen cheaper to have it trailored home for 150 quid but we dont have this worst case scenario to consider before it happens so never knew!